Solid Boilers after 1.5.1. Wood source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
As somepony of you know, SC will be nerfed in 1.5.1 so you will need a Galgadorian Wood Cutter cart with reinforced hull to harvest the same amount of wood with SC.
So, what do you think? Will make those carts? Or use MFR? Or Forestry MultiFarm? What do you suggest?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
MFR, if you're switching to another.

I tried the forestry multifarm... and it just didn't mesh with me. It requires fertilizer to grows trees for some ass-backwards reason, which really turned me away from it.

MFR might take a bit more EU/MJ to operate, but it pays for itself. I would suggest redwoods if you're after wood. You'll have to do a config change if you're going for taller trees, though. MFR harvesters are configured to only search so high for blocks by default.

Juice57

Jul 29, 2019
Its a balance that needed to happen but probably MFR if he can fix the search algorithm(bizarre removal on 2x2 girth). Forestry seems slower even if cheaper(MJ) with Redwoods because of how long it takes for all the leaves to decay.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Hm... Is there any method of producing IC2 fertilizer? I know it works with MFR, and I have tons of it because of Dark Ashes I got from steel production, but It is not enough if i want to run Boilers on wood produced by a treefarm.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a large enough tree farm, fertilizer isn't really necessary. Or at least, for redwood farms. I can't really speak for the others.

As for the fertilizer... can't you make it by combining bone meal and scrap?

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a large enough tree farm, fertilizer isn't really necessary. Or at least, for redwood farms. I can't really speak for the others.

As for the fertilizer... can't you make it by combining bone meal and scrap?

you can indeed.

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
steve's cart way would still be the most efficient even though it's more expensive. Foretry Multifarms are meh as for MFR, same thing.

PS : do you really need to replace "body" by "pony" everytime you say something ?

Reactions: Lambert2191

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I used it for my small 3x3 wheat farm for two reasons:
1) I have tons of it
2) I nedeed seeds ^_^

I'm planning to use a lot of boilers so I'm not sure how many farms would I need. MFR farms can have a range upgrade in 1.5.1, so, I don't know...

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I used it for my small 3x3 wheat farm for two reasons:
1) I have tons of it
2) I nedeed seeds ^_^

I'm planning to use a lot of boilers so I'm not sure how many farms would I need.

new version of mfr farms have a upgrade slot to increase the size, up to (I think) 25x25.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, let's put it this way. I think the after about... an hour of two of running, my 9x9 tree farm made roughly 300 stacks of wood.

The chests I use to void pipe it almost don't void pipe it fast enough. If there were only one chest void piping it, I would need two wooden pipes with gates on them to void pipe the wood fast enough to avoid a clog.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
steve's cart way would still be the most efficient even though it's more expensive. Foretry Multifarms are meh as for MFR, same thing.

PS : do you really need to replace "body" by "pony" everytime you say something ?
If you use MFR with fertilizer, nothing can beat its speed...

No, I don't NEED it, but meh... Does pony on my avatar bug you as well?

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
If you use MFR with fertilizer, nothing can beat its speed...

No, I don't NEED it, but meh... Does pony on my avatar bug you as well?

The avatar doesn't bug me at all. It's just that trying to put the word pony whenever you can do make you look less serious, at least in my opinion.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, let's put it this way. I think the after about... an hour of two of running, my 9x9 tree farm made roughly 300 stacks of wood.

The chests I use to void pipe it almost don't void pipe it fast enough. If there were only one chest void piping it, I would need two wooden pipes with gates on them to void pipe the wood fast enough to avoid a clog.
OMG, that's enough for tons of boilers... I mean - fully heated up 36 HP consumes about 1.5 planks/second or (with sawmill) 0.25 logs/second... That's 900 logs/hour
What kind of magic do you use to make your trees grow that fast?

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
As Vswe wrote in twitter the normal trees are the op ones and that is the reason he nerved the wood cutter. And i can agree with this, they grow to fast.
For most on my server it was the only source for the boilers, after the nerv they are more in line with the other fuel sources i think.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
OMG, that's enough for tons of boilers... I mean - fully heated up 36 HP consumes about 1.5 planks/second or (with sawmill) 0.25 logs/second... That's 900 logs/hour
What kind of magic do you use to make your trees grow that fast?

Honestly, nothing. You have to remember that redwoods can be like 60 blocks tall, and are 2x2.

That's like, almost 4 stacks of wood per tree.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
The avatar doesn't bug me at all. It's just that trying to put the word pony whenever you can do make you look less serious, at least in my opinion.
Actually, I'm not trying to be serious on a video game forum, but if it bugs someponyone, I can stop using it

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm not trying to be serious on a video game forum, but if it bugs someponyone, I can stop using it

I'm not antifun :p Now you can keep on doing it if you want, not forcing you to stop. But meh, might bug some people more seriously.

On the subject of Boilers, there are more fun ways of using them. Multiple automated peat farm are cheap and a single one can fill a 2x2x2 LP boiler, 4 can probably fill a 3x3x4 one, and again, they're very cheap. fuel is extremely efficient but liquid of course
and multiple blaze farms can fill a pretty big boiler, even after nerf

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, nothing. You have to remember that redwoods can be like 60 blocks tall, and are 2x2.

That's like, almost 4 stacks of wood per tree.
Yeah, but do they grow that fast? Actually, config changes is the thing I don't like to do. Not because I cannot into Notepad++, but if modder decided that parameter should have a certain value, why should I change it? Isn't it some sort of "cheating"?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but do they grow that fast? Actually, config changes is the thing I don't like to do. Not because I cannot into Notepad++, but if modder decided that parameter should have a certain value, why should I change it? Isn't it some sort of "cheating"?

My harvesters are almost always working.

The modder put the config there for the express purpose of adjusting to certain situations, like this. On top of that, there is a very large difference between expanding on how far a harvester can look for parts of a tree to chop, and doing something like... changing the amount of energy a certain action requires.

I'm not giving myself an advantage. I'm not using less energy. I'm not doing less work. I'm simply adapting the tree harvester to a different kind of already-existing tree. I mean, ultimately it's up to you, but this is just how I do it.[DOUBLEPOST=1366882245][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a point of reference. In this picture, you can see that before the harvester was able to fully chop these trees, new trees already had time to grow. This doesn't always happen, and the harvester catches up eventually, but the growth rate of redwoods is pretty nice.

TistR8Y.jpg

Reactions: PonyKuu