ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Is the Biomes o' Plenty like XLbiomes in that its just tons of really thick forests?
My current world is a vanilla generation I took out XLbiomes because I got really tired of forests being almost every biome. If Biomes o' Plenty is more random then it may be what I'm looking for.
BoP adds more then slight variations of the same old dense forests. Take a look at the minecraft topic for screenshots. There's only two biomes that I disabled, compared to the 8-9 in EXBL.

In this old topic I posted a couple of screenshots
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/biomes-o-plenty-vs-extrabiomes-xl.15076/page-2#post-190428

Jul 29, 2019
I actually made the switch from Biomes O Plenty back to Extrabiomes.

What I like about BoP:
  • More configurable (can set biome size, etc.), but the configs aren't well explained. Note that this could be better, if you're imagining something like TerrainControl then don't expect anything like that).
  • Has some interesting biomes that Extrabiomes doesn't (for example, bamboo forest)
  • I can't speak for the ocean size issue, but if it's true that Extrabiomes makes ridiculously huge oceans that BoP doesn't, then that's a point in BoP's favor. I personally haven't observed this, but I haven't explored enough in each to say.
Why I chose Extrabiomes:
  • I like the biomes it adds better. I don't want a crazy world, and it just feels more realistic (using FTB Ultimate default settings btw, so I'm keeping off what they disabled). While there are a few BoP biomes I wish I could have, Overall I think I prefer extra.
  • I really like the trees it adds, especially the huge trees.
  • The most important reason: mod compatibility. Extra works with Mo Creatures, the new saplings work with forestry, etc. BoP is a less popular mod (and like a previous poster said, doesn't have an API) so Extrabiomes has better mod support. To me this is a dealbreaker with BoP. I don't want to use a mod that doesn't play well with other mods, especially in a huge pack like Ultimate, and especially where there are so few vanilla biomes if you leave all the BoP ones enabled.
I wish they both had configs to better control biome generation, and set up the size and frequency of each biome (of course if TerrainControl really does become the generation core for either of them, it would solve this issue and get my support).

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
EBXL's my personal favourite due to the better mod compatibility, but without compatibility, I'll go Highlands, then BoP, then EBXL.

Take a look at Highlands. The Dune, Woodland Mountains, Cliffs, and Flying Mountains biomes. And some of the tree-y ones look awesome, especially the Ironwood.

I still am trying to get the appeal of them. BoP has great versions of all of those? Am I missing something? The ironwood stuff is cute, to be sure. Highlands seems like an even less compatible, less interesting version of BoP, which is itself less compatible than EBXL.

Although I might add that it's pepetually unfair to call BoP "not compatible" when there is a mod I've linked like 6 times to make it compatible in 1.4.7, and evidently the 1.5.1 is just waiting on Forestry to roll over. BoP works fine with loads of mods.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I still am trying to get the appeal of them. BoP has great versions of all of those? Am I missing something? The ironwood stuff is cute, to be sure. Highlands seems like an even less compatible, less interesting version of BoP, which is itself less compatible than EBXL.

Although I might add that it's pepetually unfair to call BoP "not compatible" when there is a mod I've linked like 6 times to make it compatible in 1.4.7, and evidently the 1.5.1 is just waiting on Forestry to roll over. BoP works fine with loads of mods.

Woodland Mountains and Flying Mountains just seem quite wacky. And Dunes are quite interesting. And there's something about the greater surface area of Highlands' Cliffs.

Don't get me wrong. BoP's awesome. But most of the really pretty ones IMO (Canyon, Crag, Deadlands, Dunes, Glacier, Highland, Ice Sheet/Hills, Mesa, Volcano, Wasteland, and even Fungi Forest and Mystic Grove) seem somewhat barren and depressing. Which isn't a problem, but for some reason that mood doesn't integrate well with FTB IMO.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Woodland Mountains and Flying Mountains just seem quite wacky. And Dunes are quite interesting. And there's something about the greater surface area of Highlands' Cliffs.

Don't get me wrong. BoP's awesome. But most of the really pretty ones IMO (Canyon, Crag, Deadlands, Dunes, Glacier, Highland, Ice Sheet/Hills, Mesa, Volcano, Wasteland, and even Fungi Forest and Mystic Grove) seem somewhat barren and depressing. Which isn't a problem, but for some reason that mood doesn't integrate well with FTB IMO.

But they're like.. literally cluttered with flowers, bushes, brush, trees, etc? Mystic Forest has an amazing sum of flowers and trees and is self-illuminating in an eerie way at night?

I think the other big thing that I like about BoP is that it gives biomes a purpose. Like, there is a reason to go to the epic volcanoes biome. There is a reason to want to find a wasteland biome. There are great things hiding in the wasteland and dark forest biomes that you can, as a player, put to use. Most other biome generators don't do this part very well.

I've actually logged at least 5 hours of play with the terrain gens mentioned in this thread. BoP was the only one where I felt any sense of adventure walking around in them. I do like the floating mountains, but Vanilla tends to do these just fine anyways. And if you have Natura around to spice up the vanilla biomes, then it's really awesome to have these things.

Funnily enough, my least favorite biome in BoP is the cherry blossom forest. It's trying so hard to be beautiful; instead just looks garish. Disabled.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
But they're like.. literally cluttered with flowers, bushes, brush, trees, etc? Mystic Forest has an amazing sum of flowers and trees and is self-illuminating in an eerie way at night?

I know, I know, finding them barren's a sign of insanity. But they still seem barren.

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I don't like about BoP is the Redwood forest, probably because I prefer ExtraBiomesXL's version of the redwood trees. I prefer my trees 4x4 rather then the odd stack effect of redwood logs to look like giant roots.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
While for me, I prefer the BoP design of Redwoods :D Plus, more interesting structure overall and less leaves!

For me, I had to disable Garden and Origin Valley in BoP. Both feel out of place. Garden is just too "yuck" and Origin is too Barren (but that's the reason for the design). Both stick out like a sore thumb when using a more "natural" texture pack.

modpir8king

Jul 29, 2019
But BOP are working on new version that will break current worlds but integrate with other mods a lot more e.g forestry and bees.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I don't like about BoP is the Redwood forest, probably because I prefer ExtraBiomesXL's version of the redwood trees. I prefer my trees 4x4 rather then the odd stack effect of redwood logs to look like giant roots.

Thats what a lot of massive redwoods actually look like. *Lives in California redwood areas*. Though I would rather have a mix of both kinds because the trees look like either depending on size. http://www.visitsequoia.com/img/Redwoods_and_Sequoias.jpg

Jul 29, 2019

At least for me, when I say "works with other mods," I don't just mean 'compatible' in the sense that I can get the game to run with BOP and other mods installed. BoP is fine in that regard. I'm talking about interacting with other mods, for example, being able to grow the saplings it adds in a forestry, steve's carts, or MFR tree farm, or having worldgen from other mods appear in its biomes. Right now EBXL does this better than BoP, although if what I read in other posts is true then soon this will be the same between them.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
At least for me, when I say "works with other mods," I don't just mean 'compatible' in the sense that I can get the game to run with BOP and other mods installed. BoP is fine in that regard. I'm talking about interacting with other mods, for example, being able to grow the saplings it adds in a forestry, steve's carts, or MFR tree farm, or having worldgen from other mods appear in its biomes. Right now EBXL does this better than BoP, although if what I read in other posts is true then soon this will be the same between them.

Are. You. Listeing. To. What. I. Am. Saying?

If you're in 1.4.7, install this (linked) mod and you get everything you just said. I literally said something and you responded to it by asserting the same thing I just debunked. It all works, mang. And my last tests had saplings working in the SC2 planter without any integration at all.

So please. Please. If you're going to quote me do me the courtesy of reading what I quote. That is very little to ask for.

P.S., read your startup logs; MFR supports BoP on its own. Nerf Powercrystals and his pools of sewage.

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry KrinDave, I guess I missed it. I thought you were talking about using a different mod from BoP, not a compatibility crossover.

Wish I knew about that in my previous modpack before I switched to Ultimate & EBXL. Overall, I personally would still take either as there are advantages and disadvantages to each in my mind, but I can see why people like BoP. Highlands would be behind those two in the running for me: a few of the biomes look good but overall I prefer BoP / EXBL.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Are. You. Listeing. To. What. I. Am. Saying?

If you're in 1.4.7, install this (linked) mod and you get everything you just said. I literally said something and you responded to it by asserting the same thing I just debunked. It all works, mang. And my last tests had saplings working in the SC2 planter without any integration at all.

So please. Please. If you're going to quote me do me the courtesy of reading what I quote. That is very little to ask for.

P.S., read your startup logs; MFR supports BoP on its own. Nerf Powercrystals and his pools of sewage.
Well tbh this is kind of a moot point. BoP NEEDS this mod to be compatible (not for all mods i know), EBXL is compatible out of the box.