[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I also found this gem while searching: 5th Element.

I really need to look around the forestry wiki more often, there are so many funny references.
Yeah that's been there since forever, it used to come up on casual forestry-minecraft-google searches too (doesn't seem to anymore, I specifically looked for it last week)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm hearing a lot of things about the garden cloche. Anyone used it? What's the big pros and cons of it? Does it consume (a lot of) power?

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hearing a lot of things about the garden cloche. Anyone used it? What's the big pros and cons of it? Does it consume (a lot of) power?

It uses a very small amount of rf (8 per tick), and some water. In addition you need the soil type for the plant to grow on. However, they are much faster then growing plants on normal soil, and considerably much more server friendly.

You can also speed it up by providing bonemeal, or other fertilizers, such as the ones from forestry, ic2, or actually additions.

Reactions: An0nymuS

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It uses a very small amount of rf (8 per tick), and some water. In addition you need the soil type for the plant to grow on. However, they are much faster then growing plants on normal soil, and considerably much more server friendly.

You can also speed it up by providing bonemeal, or other fertilizers, such as the ones from forestry, ic2, or actually additions.
That's pretty nice. I'm actually super-interested in the computational benefits: my multifarm doesn't seem super friendly to my machine.

What are the AoE prerequisites, if you happen to know off-hand?

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
From what I remember in dire's video, just some actually addition tech, most expensive of which is the actually additions farmer. Dire opted for the cloche to farm canola for power gen.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
most expensive of which is the actually additions farmer.
Basically needs a stack an a half of crushed coal, one lithium dust, and one benitoite (can be found in the nether) in order to make the algorithm separator in order to make the large tanzanite and weakened diamonds to make the advanced greenhouse which is a crafting ingredient for the farmer

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using loam, it keeps saying things like "air is not valid" or "block isn't loam" so I must be making the charcoal wrong.

I haven't had a chance to play around with the charcoal pit, as I haven't hit steel yet. (Close though!). It's odd that loam isn't working though, can you provide some screenshots of your setup?

chaosblad3

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason that iron chests and iron backpacks aren't in the pack? obviously you're welcome to en-harden or progression-gate their recipes if you feel the need, but seriously iron backpacks is easily one of my favourite mods in 1.10 so even if everything was made harder to make it would definitely be something I'd be willing to work towards!

Also it's highly customisable in the config so you could nerf the capacity of each tier or lower the number of upgrade slots or restrict upgrades to higher tiers etc if you really wanted to.

Last edited:

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason that iron chests and iron backpacks aren't in the pack? obviously you're welcome to en-harden or progression-gate their recipes if you feel the need, but seriously iron backpacks is easily one of my favourite mods in 1.10 so even if everything was made harder to make it would definitely be something I'd be willing to work towards!

Also it's highly customisable in the config so you could nerf the capacity of each tier or lower the number of upgrade slots or restrict upgrades to higher tiers etc if you really wanted to.

The pack already has
  • Forestry backpacks (which are quite useful, and contain many features that iron backpacks has, without upgrades)
  • Bagginses (Which are somewhat more limited in functionality, but still useful and much cheaper than iron backpacks.)
Look into these mods first, as no one mod is the only solution, and you may end up enjoying one better. Or not. But it doesn't hurt to give them a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: An0nymuS and zBob

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason that iron chests and iron backpacks aren't in the pack?

It had issues back when the pack was in development, bagginses was put in its place. They dont have the exact same options but can be upgraded to hold more or to auto pickup items.

Iron chests was a design choice, he wants you to use diamonds for crates or setup an inventory management system other than AE2 in order to keep track of your stuff.

Edit: ninja'd already...

chaosblad3

Jul 29, 2019
The pack already has
  • Forestry backpacks (which are quite useful, and contain many features that iron backpacks has, without upgrades)
  • Bagginses (Which are somewhat more limited in functionality, but still useful and much cheaper than iron backpacks.)
Look into these mods first, as no one mod is the only solution, and you may end up enjoying one better. Or not. But it doesn't hurt to give them a try.
I've been playing modded minecraft since around MC1.3 lol, I've tried both of them at various times, I remember using the forestry ones a lot back in FTB ultimate, but in terms of overall functionality and customizability they're like comparing an old hatchback or a pickup truck to a Formula 1 racecar or a Tesla model S xD

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Is it intentional that Purified Crushed XXX Ore cannot be smelted in the Tinkers Smeltery whereas the Ore, Crushed Ore and Dust forms can be smelted?

ErnstLustig

Jul 29, 2019
@ICountFrom0 Place down 2x2 of Wood Pile and surround it with Loam to make it a full 4x4, then on the upper level place another 2x2 of Loam in the center. This should form the multiblock. Of course bigger sizes work as well.
@GreenZombie No one ever did report that to me, that is the reason why it's not in. Usually if you have a Thermal Centrifuge or Ore Washer you have an easier method to smelt dust at that point.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing modded minecraft since around MC1.3 lol, I've tried both of them at various times, I remember using the forestry ones a lot back in FTB ultimate, but in terms of overall functionality and customizability they're like comparing an old hatchback or a pickup truck to a Formula 1 racecar or a Tesla model S xD

Since you have been playing Minecraft for that long then I am sure you know how to add in a mod that is far superior to the ones the pack creator built it with. My answer still stands even though you decided to ignore it, when Qvist was putting the back together iron backpacks on 1.10 had several game crashing or player inventory deleting bugs so he found alternatives to use, he had already balanced the pack and moved on by the time iron backpacks was updated.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
@GreenZombie No one ever did report that to me, that is the reason why it's not in. Usually if you have a Thermal Centrifuge or Ore Washer you have an easier method to smelt dust at that point.

Ok, I don't know if I am misreading your reply, but "Purified Crushed Ore" IS the output from the Ore Washer.

Where the Ore Washer requires a mid tier investment in the Industrial Age - as it needs 16EU/t to work. But comes way before the Thermal Centrifuge (which takes washed / purified crushed ore to produce dusts + other outputs) which needs 40 EU/t (I think?) and a lot of way more exotic material processing.

This is why I expected it to be registered with the smeltery as I now have a lot of stuff I can't use until I do build the Thermal Centrifuge. (Well, I could smelt it with EU, but I'm using my EU for steel production, charging nano armor (and more washing) and I'm all setup to do smelting in the smeltery.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Bug Report: Opening the RFTools Manual Crashes the game. Crash Log:

Attachments

• crash-2017-07-28_19.11.50-client.txt
    37.3 KB · Views: 89

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using loam, it keeps saying things like "air is not valid" or "block isn't loam" so I must be making the charcoal wrong.

The wiki is a bit outdated, follow this forum post's instructions.

EDIT: The multiblock should look like this when formed. I went with a 3x3 to 2x2 pyramid, which used 20 log piles.
charcoal.png

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
The wiki is a bit outdated, follow this forum post's instructions.

EDIT: The multiblock should look like this when formed. I went with a 3x3 to 2x2 pyramid, which used 20 log piles.
View attachment 34383

From the last post in there, and the link to here
https://github.com/ForestryMC/ForestryMC/issues/1633#issuecomment-293062868

Looks like a bit of the opposite. The wiki describes what will be working latter, instead of what is working now.

Either way, I was able to get it to work now that I know this, thank you.

Reactions: Kel_Co

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
This is an old issue but unfortuanately it still exists.

For the current list of known bugs please check the faq channel on the discord server
https://discord.gg/QkvUrxM

Bug Report: Opening the RFTools Manual Crashes the game. Crash Log:

I can confirm the same issue, crashed all the way to desktop. Posted it in the discord #support so other people will know. But I am sure it is a mod issue with the version of RF Tools currently running which happens to be an old one from April so we will either have to read the book from a different Minecraft instance or read the online wiki

https://github.com/McJty/RFTools/wiki

which has all the items listed
https://github.com/McJty/RFTools/wiki/RFTools-Blocks