FTB Beyond Town Hall

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
The FTB Modpack development team will be hosting a Townhall style meeting tomorrow night (15 March 2017).

The townhall will be hosted live at https://www.twitch.tv/officialfeedthebeast starting at 7:30pm GMT (3:30pm EST)

During this townhall we will be focusing on FTB Beyond, where we will be discussing areas of game balance recipe changes and overall design. We will also be talking about the upcoming Expert mode on which work has started.

If you have a question related to FTB Beyond, please add it into this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I have to work so I can't watch the twitch stream. But I suppose my biggest question, is why push PSI so far end game for normal mode? I could under stand it for expert mode. But normal mode is supposed to be more kitchen sink and the balance arguments isn't valid.

G

Guybrush

do beta team members have to attend this or can we watch the vod, cause that's 5:30am for me :(

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
What are your plans for the magic path? How do you plan to integrate Roots and Embers into expert mode?

Scrogs63

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
I have some questions on pack testing.

On servers:
Is there other testing done on servers other than the FTB One server?
Any thoughts to adding established communities with experienced staff as testing servers if not already done?
On adding/removing mods during testing:
Do you have any testing guidelines to cover testing on this?
For example I see some pack creators stream their testing and they just continue like its a let's play. It seems in some changes it might be best served in starting again because of potential early game changes that you may not notice
New mods:
Do you activity try new mods? Or do you go with mod devs you know or mods suggested by associates (for example a mod direwolf has talked about)

Thanks for your time

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
How about Those Crystallized and Empowered Oil Recipes for the Vat and Canner...rofl?

TechnicianLP

Jul 29, 2019
Will there be a GameMode between expert and default? For a Server it would be good to have something thats somewhat challenging, but does not scare off users who are not that deeply into modded yet ...

K

KiloFox0918

Is there any plan to allow Psi back into early game (receipe changes plz)? On another note Ars magica 2 was advertised in the early modlisting, are there any plans to that a thing in the future?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
watching the stream now. all i can say is the streamers don't seem to know vanilla minecraft. more troubling is they don't know modded minecraft.

in vanilla a nether portal is easier and the nether is no danger at all. just grab a bucket of water and find some lava. a few minutes later you will have a nether portal. i have seen speed runs that beat the ender dragon in vanilla in way under half a hour. in modded the only thing the nether has been known for a required trip to is ghast tears. not many mods make them possible in other ways. there are several ways in beyond to get blaze rods without the nether. i haven't checked nether quartz. that tends to be easy to get in the nether.

at least you guys can make great mod packs. even if you don't know what you are working with.

edit:
they go on for so long on why they never changed the recipes on computercraft. Which all are invalidated by the fact the mod doesn't appear to be in the pack. (i might have missed it)

Last edited:

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
@Scrogs63 In addition to FTB One we also run a Developer server (FTB Dev) and a Beta testing server. Currently we've not found it necessary to expand beyond that, practically, as we often test with as yet unreleased content we may not even be able to open testing to external users due to permissions. The Beta server is basically there to make sure everything gets tested, if we make changes that will affect early game the players there have the tools available to them to make sure it's tested. We're always looking out for new mods, the process each pack dev takes will vary though.

@Magzie Not aware of any issues there?

@TechnicianLP Unlikely, it's a ton of work to add a gamemode and where would you draw the line between the 2.

@KiloFox0918 Both of those questions were answered

@DeathOfTime overlooking the fact that speed runs typically run using an optimal seed and make heavy use of duping in order to get those times. For the sake of the argument you can replace ComputerCraft with OpenComputers and the meaning is the same. Personally I feel like those types of mod are actually more suited for an Edu-centric pack and properly balancing them is challenging.

K

KiloFox0918

@Scrogs63 In addition to FTB One we also run a Developer server (FTB Dev) and a Beta testing server. Currently we've not found it necessary to expand beyond that, practically, as we often test with as yet unreleased content we may not even be able to open testing to external users due to permissions. The Beta server is basically there to make sure everything gets tested, if we make changes that will affect early game the players there have the tools available to them to make sure it's tested. We're always looking out for new mods, the process each pack dev takes will vary though.

@TechnicianLP Unlikely, it's a ton of work to add a gamemode and where would you draw the line between the 2.

@DeathOfTime overlooking the fact that speed runs typically run using an optimal seed and make heavy use of duping in order to get those times. For the sake of the argument you can replace ComputerCraft with OpenComputers and the meaning is the same. Personally I feel like those types of mod are actually more suited for an Edu-centric pack and properly balancing them is challenging.
My bad!!(watching the meeting now.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
overlooking the fact that speed runs typically run using an optimal seed and make heavy use of duping in order to get those times. For the sake of the argument you can replace ComputerCraft with OpenComputers and the meaning is the same. Personally I feel like those types of mod are actually more suited for an Edu-centric pack and properly balancing them is challenging.

sorry, i got off the point i was trying to make. adding to much information. in vanila all it takes to make a nether portal is a a bucket of water and some lava. it is even easier in modded, of course. Still they stated it took time. it doesn't take any real time. depending on where you spawn you can have a nether portal up and running by the end of the first day.

open computers is vastly different then computer craft. i have used both. open computers is much more balanced recipe wise and even implementation then computer craft. computer craft had no intent or desire to balance itself around modded. open computers has every intent of being balanced. comparing the two is like comparing BASICA to C++. Sure you can make great programs in both. Still they are vastly different.

watching the video some more, when I can. They have gone over stuff I don't know. So likely it is more just how massive modded is. It is impossible to know all modded and vanilla. (well, not impossible. i doubt it is easy to do at this point though)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014

There is no issue there I was just wondering that since they both except the oils from Actually Additions that you guys might be able to add the recipes in from the oil conversion so we could use machines instead of the standard convetion room dropper thing that is way annoying.

L

litten8

Where were @KiloFox0918's questions answered?

K

KiloFox0918

Where were @KiloFox0918's questions answered?
They were. Psi's receipes were changed back and Ars magica 2 will NOT be added at this time due to a lack of dev support. Im kinda disappointed in the AM2 part, I was really looking forward to it. Ive been wanting go try out psi for a little while now too so im content.

Cant have everything right?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Ok I have watched the town hall. I have to say Please God don't move expert mode to 1.11. you really need to stick to 1.10. people hate this wishy washy crap where you can't decide what version to stick with. Part of the problem you have been having with 1.10 is the mods not updating or updating and not being stable. So here it is out in the open. If you do decide to do expert like you plan in 1.11 you have to move beyond to 1.11. Beyond is you flag ship pack it has to move with the other packs. If you do move to 1.11 you will not get the mods that are coming to 1.10 soon like thaumcraft and TE mods. Also 50% of the mods now in beyond will be gone as while. It really make no sense to move to 1.11 right now regardless how much whining some players do. So that where you stand if you move expert to 1.11 beyond has to go as well or you'll need a new flag ship pack for 1.11 first and beyond will have been a waste of time.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
That is the reason they kept reinforcing that it is a best case scenario. Because they know how that goal is very reliant on the mod devs updating everything to 1.11. But as it stands now there is a lot of mod devs maintaining two version 1.10 and 1.11. Eventually that will shift to 1.11 support only and the will probably happen soon.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
It is more that we know the update to 1.11 from 1.10 is not that disruptive and it should be a fairly straightforward update/port for most, if not all of the mods in the pack.