gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
No no no, the Block Breaker Nerft actually makes the Block Breaker work like an Iron Pick, from what I've heard. And that means that you can't make Frame Quarries. I will never enable it.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
No no no, the Block Breaker Nerft actually makes the Block Breaker work like an Iron Pick, from what I've heard. And that means that you can't make Frame Quarries. I will never enable it.
Umm, how did greg change eloraam's code?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
The blockbreaker nerf is actually a thing? Ehh someone please explain to me how that's allowed seeing as how Elo's mod is closed source and afaik she isn't letting anyone in, especially not Greg.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The blockbreaker nerf is actually a thing? Ehh someone please explain to me how that's allowed seeing as how Elo's mod is closed source and afaik she isn't letting anyone in, especially not Greg.

Reasons.
  1. Eloraam cannot legally stop people from reflecting around in a shared runtime. There is no degree of obfuscation she could add that would realistically stop it without making her maintenance work a waking nightmare. Assuming she really does start maintaining RP2 again.
  2. Greg has gotten very good at using reflection in the runtime (this is a technique a lot of people use). He's documented it on multiple occasions.
  3. If Eloraam actually wants to do something about this, she's welcome to do what KingLemming did and actually fight back. KL originally thought that Greg was decompiling, but it turns out he's not. He just reflects around in the code and knows what things should look like.
  4. Even if the license forbids it, the license is effectively unenforcible and ridiculous anyways. You cannot prove anyone did not just use reflection without installing spyware.
Can we please stop pretending Eloraam is a figurine of spun glass that every internet paladin must protect and Greg is a troll eating people left and right? Can we also stop pretending that Frame bores and quarries are not, like most of RedPower2, extremely cheap for what they do? Like borderline so-good-they-obsolete-everything-else?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The "blockbreaker nerf" has been a config file option for ages (at least since december 2012). It basically replaces the iron pick component in the block breaker recipe with a diamond or wolframium grinder (those disks you also use for the industrial grinder recipe).

If there is any nerf to the actual functionality of the blockbreaker, I have not yet heard of it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The "blockbreaker nerf" has been a config file option for ages. It basically replaces the iron pick component in the block breaker recipe with a diamond or wolframium grinder (those disks you also use for the industrial grinder recipe).

And in the process makes blockbreakers about 800x more reasonable for what they do.

Reactions: Poppycocks

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The "blockbreaker nerf" has been a config file option for ages (at least since december 2012). It basically replaces the iron pick component in the block breaker recipe with a diamond or wolframium grinder (those disks you also use for the industrial grinder recipe).

If there is any nerf to the actual functionality of the blockbreaker, I have not yet heard of it.
Oh that's not so bad, you get a lot of diamond dust from grinding nikolite. Which is integral to rp anyway. So this is all about moving them a bit higher in the tech tree. (Around titanium) You know, I've been noticing that when greg makes something hard, he usually also gives you tools to balance it out. Sometimes to the point where it feels like you're on a rail but.... yeah. Not as bad as it sounds.

Reactions: Phil_Tact

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Reasons.
  1. Eloraam cannot legally stop people from reflecting around in a shared runtime.
  2. Greg has gotten very good at using reflection in the runtime (this is a technique a lot of people use).
  3. If Eloraam actually wants to do something about this, she's welcome to do what KingLemming did and actually fight back. KL originally thought that Greg was decompiling, but it turns out he's not. He just reflects around in the code and knows what things should look like.
  4. Even if the license forbids it, the license is effectively unenforcible and ridiculous anyways. You cannot prove anyone did not just use reflection without installing spyware.
1: no idea what runtime is, I'm not a modmaker nor do I have any clue how they work.
2: same as above
3: still don't know what it means.
4: dude, still haven't a clue what reflection is (in a mod sense)

Can we please stop pretending Eloraam is a figurine of spun glass that every internet paladin must protect and Greg is a troll eating people left and right? Can we also stop pretending that Frame bores and quarries are not, like most of RedPower2, extremely cheap for what they do? Like borderline so-good-they-obsolete-everything-else?

Can we please stop assuming that I'm a Paladin sworn to protect Eloraam's mod?
It's not allowed to edit someones mod without their permission, enforcable or unenforcable this is pretty much the principle that FTB stands by. So unless you're going to explain what reflection is and why it isn't a dick move, please give it a rest hating on RP2?

Reactions: shockwave95

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Umm, well, doesn't this just mean it can't harvest obsidian now but still break it. Technically you can break anything aside from bedrock given enough time.

Reactions: Dravarden

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
explain what reflection is and why it isn't a dick move, please give it a rest hating on RP2?

Reflection, in terms of computer programming, is changing the way something works without changing the code itself. What Greg is doing with GregTech is changing the end result of RP2 by changing the way the game ends up seeing the call.

The reason this isn't a "dick move" is because it's Greg's mod, and he can add options to do whatever he pleases. He's nice enough to give config options to disable all things relating to other modifications, as well. But he is not touching RP2's code, but merely changing the results of it in the game.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
1: no idea what runtime is, I'm not a modmaker nor do I have any clue how they work.
2: same as above
3: still don't know what it means.
4: dude, still haven't a clue what reflection is (in a mod sense)

Can we please stop assuming that I'm a Paladin sworn to protect Eloraam's mod?
It's not allowed to edit someones mod without their permission, enforcable or unenforcable this is pretty much the principle that FTB stands by. So unless you're going to explain what reflection is and why it isn't a dick move, please give it a rest hating on RP2?
Reflection

It boils down to sort of re-directing a function to your own code. Without actually changing anything in the others code.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Reflection, in terms of computer programming, is changing the way something works without changing the code itself. What Greg is doing with GregTech is changing the end result of RP2 by changing the way the game ends up seeing the call.

The reason this isn't a "dick move" is because it's Greg's mod, and he can add options to do whatever he pleases. He's nice enough to give config options to disable all things relating to other modifications, as well. But he is not touching RP2's code, but merely changing the results of it in the game.
well that's fine then :) thank you

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's not allowed to edit someones mod without their permission, enforcable or unenforcable this is pretty much the principle that FTB stands by.

So therefore it should be a hint–unless you hold Slowpoke and the ftb team in the utmost contempt–that somehow Greg did this without editing Eloraam's code. Suffice to say, he can and he did and it never touches RP2's code. And there is a history of threatening Greg and other modmakers who threaten to alter the recipe registry for RP2 in the past, so it's a sensitive subject.

So unless you're going to explain what reflection is

To be honest it's sort of a lost cause. There probably isn't a succinct and accurate explanation of reflection without outright lying to you about how java works. Building Witggenstein's ladder that tall takes more time than I have. So may I recommend Wikipedia for now.

and why it isn't a dick move

This is entirely subjective and these forums find almost everything Greg does to be a "dick move." That's the narrative. One I'm fed up with. Greg's game design chops are enormous and profound and he's working about 2x as hard as most other modwriters out there to consider mixed modpack games and create a consistent experience he wants to express.

please give it a rest hating on RP2?

RP2 is a beautiful and well designed mod. It's just not very well balanced, maintained, or licensed and its author is capricious and inconstant on her enforcement of her own terms. We've been over this.[DOUBLEPOST=1363903056][/DOUBLEPOST]
I may be a bit naive at this but that is pretty impressive.

It's a lot easier when you bolt together an interactive terminal for the java runtime and cobble some some tools together to make it easier.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
For the record, in my current world I'm using Gregtech (on easy mode... not that it'd matter I haven't touched IC2)

Status
Not open for further replies.