Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That almost everyone(including myself) uses Imgur to post images of minecraft. Every time I go there I end up spending 30mins watching random memes... :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
My own forgetfulness.

Third world in a row i'm using FTB Infinity Evolved + Reika's mods + [a random other selection that takes my fancy, varies world by world]
Third world in a row i've forgotten to disable Reactorcraft's silver in worldgen, then not noticed until i've gone exploring and loaded a huge number of chunks.

So now I have two different stacks of silver ore in my ME system again :(

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So now I have two different stacks of silver ore in my ME system again :(

That even NOW, after running into multiple tech mods trying to make the same ores since 125, we *still* don't have a common standard singleton ore generation concept. (1)

<sigh>.

That we don't have a really good ore dictionary (as far as I know); there is no way to say "X is usable as Y, but do not let Y be used as X".

That we still have people wanting (often with good reason) to say "My steam is not like their steam, do not unify these two steams".

That we even have good reason to say "Do not unify these two steams". Except when, it's something like the HP turbine / "denser than normal steam". But even then, balance. (see below).
After all, it's not like one mod says "one block of water makes one block of steam", and another mod says "one block of water makes 32 blocks of steam". (Don't get me started on cooling that steam back down into water :).

That two different mods can both use RPM and Torque, or a torque-like (simplified) concept, and yet be so different from each other that they cannot be converted/compared. (Gears of the machine, which deals with stuff at the hand-cranked level, and RoC, which deals with stuff at the machine-powered level).

That some people want arbitrary machines to be powered by arbitrary power sources, unless it's botania's machines, or RoC's machines. (After all, Botania may be a re-skinned tech mod, but it's got magic power, so it's OK to have no other power source run it's machines / require progress in its tech tree to use its devices); but how dare RoC require you to progress in its tech tree before you can use an RF source to run its machines.

That this divide is even necessary in the first place (all of: RoC's machines being so OP at the high end that anti-griefing has to be built into the mod; RoC being designed from an anti-engine-spam / you have to earn the high-level stuff while RF is basically "spam engines / add a bigger engine / raise a config file multiplier"; that RF has a "number creep" in the first place; that Botania is based around a special power system in the first place).

That even RoC / ReC have this -- you can't just use lots and lots of ordinary steam from lots and lots of engines, cause if you could you wouldn't need the high-end reactors at all. Because you can't have steam track which engine it came from and limit the turbines to only taking in 4 engines worth of steam. (Nor would it make sense when a single small reactor has a lot more than 4 steam boilers).

(1): And no, CofhCore / CofhWorld does not count. Maybe if they actually made "CofhOregen", that *only did ore gen and nothing else*, maybe that would count. Instead, it wants to do all sorts of things, including enforcing a "no water in the nether no matter what" option that I never even saw documented and could not be turned off, etc.

Or, you could say that this is no different than what Custom Ore Gen does -- except that COG only places blocks that someone else has to define / render / etc.

Still, if one mod expects that Tungsten is found as a byproduct of something else, another wants it as a mineable ore, a third wants it first as a byproduct for an unusable raw form, and processed by end-game machines to be made usable; another mod wants Aluminum as ore in the world, another expects you to process Bauxite in a machine to get Aluminum; another expects uranium to be minable, while another expects it to be purified/processed; etc.

Heck, is Redstone dust really just a form of Copper? :)

Reactions: GreenZombie

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I just gave up on that whole thing long ago. Even TooManyDanyOres seems to only proc on ingots, despite being explicitly configured to work on ores, too. Course, its easier when you use one mod to process most everything; RoC can do everything except some Metallurgy and NuclearCraft ores, which I think Mekanism handles.

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
How villages and towns always seem to spawn in the hilliest terrain possible making them look really out of place. It is really starting to annoy me.

Reactions: Pyure

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
How about frakking jungles? I never seem to be able to find any of those things. Once, I found three different mushroom biomes searching for one measly patch of jungle.
I remember when I had the opposite problem and every new world I made seemed to spawn me in a jungle.

Reactions: Hambeau

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I remember on a game once running literally for 20km looking for a biome with podzol. That I never actually ended up using. To compound the ignominy, on the return trip, i encountered a podzol biome a mere 5km from my base.

Last edited:
Reactions: erindalc and Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Thus the reason I haven't used things like BoP in, like, more than a year. No matter how I configured it, I'd have titanic mushroom biomes, landlocked, and almost nothing else. It got rather old rather quickly.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Thus the reason I haven't used things like BoP in, like, more than a year. No matter how I configured it, I'd have titanic mushroom biomes, landlocked, and almost nothing else. It got rather old rather quickly.
If I'm not mistaking, that occurred in 1.7 when you had BoP enabled, but did not choose BoP as the world type when seeding your world. It was rather annoying though.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
If I'm not mistaking, that occurred in 1.7 when you had BoP enabled, but did not choose BoP as the world type when seeding your world. It was rather annoying though.
You are correct. I recall telling lots of people to chnage their settings before complaining about a bug.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You are correct. I recall telling lots of people to chnage their settings before complaining about a bug.
I was also entirely irked by this but I think this is the first time I've heard of a decent explanation for it. Thanks :)

Unrelated: I'm irked by the fact that years ago I was irked about the lack of 5000-high worlds and this problem still hasn't been adequately addressed. (There have been attempts at cubic chunks and whatnot but nothing that is modded-minecraft friendly afaik)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I remember on a game once running literally for 20km looking for a biome with podzol. That I never actually ended up using. To compound the ignominy, on the return trip, i encountered a podzol biome a mere 5km from my base.

Better off finding a biome with spruce trees and setting up an automated farm, then shearing off all the leaves.

Dirt + Spruce leaves = Podzol guudness :)

Reactions: Pyure

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
i just spent ages with the thaumonomicon doing research and building and please please make us able to scroll out so we can see an entire page at once, this click and drag thing to see all the available research is getting tiring. For instance the Thaumic tinkering page is quite large so lots and lots of click and drag to see it all. (See i didnt even complain about the annoying running around scanning.. ok so i cheat my way around that ^^)

Reactions: rhn

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
i just spent ages with the thaumonomicon doing research and building and please please make us able to scroll out so we can see an entire page at once, this click and drag thing to see all the available research is getting tiring. For instance the Thaumic tinkering page is quite large so lots and lots of click and drag to see it all. (See i didnt even complain about the annoying running around scanning.. ok so i cheat my way around that ^^)
The 1.8 version does allow you to scroll out to see the whole thing actually.