Now that AE2 has a 1.10 release, do people prefer it or Refined Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mass Storage Mass Appeal?

• AE2, first and best!

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Refined Storage, the new king!

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
For me I'll prob stick with RS until Extracells gets updated and working good with Ae2. I've always liked fluid storage thru the network (either disks or by bussed tanks). I love the complex design with Ae2 but missing the fluid storage right now is prob gonna keep me with RS.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely prefer AE2 and its channel mechanic to Refined Storage. For all of you who hate the in-world crystal mechanic, just add AE2 Stuff; problem solved.

Reactions: Bagman817

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
I must say I really like Refined Storage. It does what it's supposed to do. AE2 always felt a bit overcomplicated (not because of the channels, but the whole meteor/presses thing and the crystal seeds... meh).

Also, AE2 for 1.10. is in a really early state... I would guess RS is probably more stable.

Reactions: Psychicash

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Refined Storage, all the way.

It's not about the channels. That I could always deal with, and became a non-challenge after a short period of time. It's not even about complexity.

It's those damn meteors you have to hunt down to get all the patterns from, then pray to the RNG deities to get that last one you can't seem to find over the past dozen or so. Worst entry mechanic to a mod ever invented. I'll sacrifice complexity for the ability to actually get into the mod when I want to get into the mod.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
2/3 Shneekey. Gj.
There are a few other things that AE2 might learn from Refined Storage as well. For example, the ability to have an Import/Export bus filter, or just a Destruction Plane be able to filter. Maybe have a Filter Upgrade that works like an XU2 filter? Either way, extremely useful.

But if AE2 were to get rid of the meteors in favor of crafting plates, that would be a whole 'nother story. I get why it was done, the author wanted AE2 to be less early game than AE1 was. But I personally feel that it was an idea that was proven to be... less than ideal.

AE2 could also stand to incorporate the fluid storage from Extra Cells, which Refined Storage took care of in-house.

I guess we mostly agree, it's just a difference of opinion about which you want more: complexity or lack of meteors. You way in on the former, which I absolutely respect, I weigh in on the latter.

Yea, Refined Storage is kinda 'easy mode', but it does have some useful concepts that AE2 may wish to incorporate in its final design for 1.10.2.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There are a few other things that AE2 might learn from Refined Storage as well. For example, the ability to have an Import/Export bus filter, or just a Destruction Plane be able to filter. Maybe have a Filter Upgrade that works like an XU2 filter? Either way, extremely useful.

But if AE2 were to get rid of the meteors in favor of crafting plates, that would be a whole 'nother story. I get why it was done, the author wanted AE2 to be less early game than AE1 was. But I personally feel that it was an idea that was proven to be... less than ideal.

AE2 could also stand to incorporate the fluid storage from Extra Cells, which Refined Storage took care of in-house.

I guess we mostly agree, it's just a difference of opinion about which you want more: complexity or lack of meteors. You way in on the former, which I absolutely respect, I weigh in on the latter.

Yea, Refined Storage is kinda 'easy mode', but it does have some useful concepts that AE2 may wish to incorporate in its final design for 1.10.2.
Agreed on all points.
With regards to meteors, a lot of decent packs get around this with alternative approaches (which sort of reinforces the dislike in the first place)

Fluid storage via addons afaik hasn't even been handled reliably yet, which is a another huge nod in favor of RS. There's been duplication exploits that haven't been resolved yet to the best of my knowledge.

I

identity001

Yeah AE2 has a degree of greater complexity vs Refined Storage but for me, it is more about the aesthetic possibilities of the mod. I can build an insanely beautiful set up for AE2. Refined storage is just kind of bland. AE2 with the animations make it feel like a real machine at work with visible elements to what it is doing.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah AE2 has a degree of greater complexity vs Refined Storage but for me, it is more about the aesthetic possibilities of the mod. I can build an insanely beautiful set up for AE2. Refined storage is just kind of bland. AE2 with the animations make it feel like a real machine at work with visible elements to what it is doing.
That's interesting that you say that - apart from the rainbow colours of the AE2 controller (which is awesome), I actually prefer the aesthetic of RS! The blocks have some LOVELY models, really nicely detailed, and I rather enjoy the blue and metal colour scheme! Diff'rent strokes for different folks I guess :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
When, exactly, do you actually LOOK at your AE/RS system? It's all buried in the walls. The whole thing is completely concealed so you never have to see it. The only thing visible is the grid/monitor for accessing your system. Other than that... there's nothing to see.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
When, exactly, do you actually LOOK at your AE/RS system? It's all buried in the walls. The whole thing is completely concealed so you never have to see it. The only thing visible is the grid/monitor for accessing your system. Other than that... there's nothing to see.
I have to say I'm with identity on this one. I really enjoy making my AE2 areas into legitimate tech/server rooms. Part of the challenge is getting that awesome look/feel so its not just a tangled mess.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I have to say I'm with identity on this one. I really enjoy making my AE2 areas into legitimate tech/server rooms. Part of the challenge is getting that awesome look/feel so its not just a tangled mess.
I don't get it. What tangled mess? Cables are laid out through the walls. You never see a single one. Same thing with the controller multiblock, it's buried in a wall or floor somewhere and is never seen. The only thing you ever see is the stuff you need to actually interact with your system, so that's pretty much just your Monitors. The vast majority of the mod is never visible. It's not intended to be visible. It works behind the scenes to fully automate your base and keep track of your resources, out of sight and out of mind.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't get it. What tangled mess? Cables are laid out through the walls. You never see a single one. Same thing with the controller multiblock, it's buried in a wall or floor somewhere and is never seen. The only thing you ever see is the stuff you need to actually interact with your system, so that's pretty much just your Monitors. The vast majority of the mod is never visible. It works behind the scenes to fully automate your base and keep track of your resources, out of sight and out of mind.
Except, I don't blithely run cables through/between walls. I'm too shitty about later changing my mind about logistical issues, and I always have to revisit the area. As a result, my bases frequently include crawlspaces.

I call them crawl-spaces, but they're tech-layers of my bases where I can stand back and look at what's going where, and whether its doing it the way I want it to. And part of that is doing things like color-coding my p2p tunnels and such.

"It's not intended to be visible."
This isn't really an objectively factual statement mate. Admit it. Obviously its meant to be visible to some extent. Algorithm went to a considerable effort to make it look nice and provide useful visual feedback.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I like how simple AE1 was, when I took a break from modded minecraft, AE2 was a real turn-off. Too grindy, too annoying with channels, etc.

I've since taken a break for quite a while, and started playing the hermitpack for 2 or so weeks now. I love how simple Refined Storage is, so I'll always prefer it over AE2.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
"It's not intended to be visible."
This isn't really an objectively factual statement mate. Admit it. Obviously its meant to be visible to some extent. Algorithm went to a considerable effort to make it look nice and provide useful visual feedback.
And then he provided an in-mod way to cover EVERY small piece.

Reactions: PierceSG

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
AE2:

Cons - Channels
Meteors
LAG
Filter options (lack of)
seeds crafted by drop mechanics
Machines/cables have animated textures (adds to lag in my mind)

Refined Storage:

Pros - no channels
only 1 animated texture (that I've found)
no meteors
less lag
filter options
no drop crafting mechanics

For me I choose less lag

Reactions: PierceSG

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get it. What tangled mess? Cables are laid out through the walls. You never see a single one. Same thing with the controller multiblock, it's buried in a wall or floor somewhere and is never seen. The only thing you ever see is the stuff you need to actually interact with your system, so that's pretty much just your Monitors. The vast majority of the mod is never visible. It's not intended to be visible. It works behind the scenes to fully automate your base and keep track of your resources, out of sight and out of mind.

But the controller and the molecular chambers especially are pretty so why wouldn't you build with a view toward exposing or even featuring them?

That is one thing I miss about Redpower tubes\BC pipes seeing the stuffs go zipping all over the place carrying out your demands, I used to build specifically to expose them simply because it looked damn cool having shit zipping around.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
But the controller and the molecular chambers especially are pretty so why wouldn't you build with a view toward exposing or even featuring them?
Because I don't want my frame rate to crash? Seriously, the pretty controller block took my frame rate from 60 (where I have it capped) down to like 20-30 when it came into view.

That is one thing I miss about Redpower tubes\BC pipes seeing the stuffs go zipping all over the place carrying out your demands, I used to build specifically to expose them simply because it looked damn cool having shit zipping around.
Thermal Dynamics in 1.7.10 did this very well. In all, it was an amazing, if under-used, mod. I always thought of Thermal Dynamics as the natural successor to the RP2 tubes with a better built-in sorting system. It even had Supplier logistics capability with the Signalum and Enderium level Retrievers. If only it had auto-crafting and centralized storage data, it would replace Logistic Pipes and probably AE2/Refined Storage as well!