Mods decided to make it impossible to make solar power!!!!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That being said i would not do wind again :p

Ugly and working at max height is annoying.

Agreed, even with the advanced jetpack making the max. height not too much of an issue. Wind really isn't worth it.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
If IC² cables are that much of an issue to you, just cover them with Construction Foam.
so instead of a 1x1 ugly tower of cables... you have a 1x1 ugly tower of CF blocks... no matter what colour/multitude of colours you paint it, it's still an unsightly tower

Reactions: jumpfight5

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
How do I extend the length of the power? I want to use tin cables all the way down. I don't have the resources for glass fibre yet. How could I use a transformer to extend a current?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
How do I extend the length of the power? I want to use tin cables all the way down. I don't have the resources for glass fibre yet. How could I use a transformer to extend a current?
You can't make transformer which emit ULV current and only this can be passed using tin cables.

It depends on distance and amount of power, but I'd use reverse (powered) HV transformer (to transfer full 2048 packets) and fully insulated hv wires. It is a lot cheaper then glass fibre and loss isn't that big (10 % for 256 blocks).

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
so instead of a 1x1 ugly tower of cables... you have a 1x1 ugly tower of CF blocks... no matter what colour/multitude of colours you paint it, it's still an unsightly tower
Why not just build some sort of amazing sky tower instead? Unless blocks below windmills also count towards the obstacle thingy.

...Then again, if you're going for this route, you won't even need CF, because the wiring will be hidden anyway. But still!

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Building a base around the windmills would make the windmills inoperable.
At 170-190+ height a tower of windmills only needs 4 blocks of clearance to each side.

3 tower example:
Sphax
mZWm6ZX.png

Default TP
CQuuB2P.jpg

Think i did 5 spaces apart here for OCD alignment with my base below. Efficiency loses to OCD

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
At 170-190+ height a tower of windmills only needs 4 blocks of clearance to each side.

3 tower example:
Sphax
mZWm6ZX.png

Default TP
CQuuB2P.jpg

Think i did 5 spaces apart here for OCD alignment with my base below. Efficiency loses to OCD

*pop*

I'm sorry.. but the pop you just heard was my aesthetic sense shooting itself. every time someone builds something as ugly as that, I die a little inside.

windowless 9x9's are bad. this.. this.. it's actually even worse... :(
I'd take solars over this monstrosity any day. if this is what is going to replace them, then i beg server owners to un-nerf the solars again. If i were to find something like this on a server i was a boss on, then somebody would find a little nuclear surprise waiting for them next time they logged on. o_O

Reactions: Lambert2191

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
*pop*

I'm sorry.. but the pop you just heard was my aesthetic sense shooting itself. every time someone builds something as ugly as that, I die a little inside.

windowless 9x9's are bad. this.. this.. it's actually even worse... :(
I'd take solars over this monstrosity any day. if this is what is going to replace them, then i beg server owners to un-nerf the solars again. If i were to find something like this on a server i was a boss on, then somebody would find a little nuclear surprise waiting for them next time they logged on. o_O

knew I should have gone with smoothstone on top. Sorry :(

That would fix it up real nice and perty right?

Anyway... played with solars and wind once in that world there and decided never again -- i guess added aesthetics to the list of why not to use them.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to make solars look good, you can cover them up with RP2 microblocks. Same goes for normal RP2 solars.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Why are there blocks on top of the windmills? Are they needed

Yes, they're used to lower the efficiency of the upper windmills so they won't produce more power than they should, which would cause them to break in a thunderstorm otherwise.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
I know solars were overpowered. Yet I'd with the new recipe requiring a matter fabricator and precious iridium (which is VERY hard to come by that early in), I'd say it went from a recipe a bit too easy to a game crippling one. You can't say "oh just use the fabricator to magic up some iridium" because that takes a sh*t ton of EU to do in the first place on top of the matter you need for the sunnarium parts (This even includes using the UU-matter to make platinum for centrifuging instead.) So requiring so much resources for a machine that does a measly 8EU/t in the day is just silly.

While I do enjoy solars, yes. I do delve into other ways for EU generation too. With stuff like steam turbines and multiple thermal generators.. Still not enough EU to keep things going smoothly. I'd make a massive watermill factory but my way requires timers to transport full and empty buckets. Something I'd rather not let loose on a server due to mass lag. Windmills are a pain because you either end up losing most of your EU through the cable loss (even with GFC) or have to make a ton of MFEs just to keep the EU (Something that wastes precious chrome making rubies or diamonds.)

Also, just saying "change the config then" doesn't work as I play on SMP servers. Not SSP worlds. Besides, I like to play the game how it was made to be instead of just going "LOL LES MAEK EVRYTIN CHEAPR." If I wanted to do that then I might as well start spawning items too. Pretty much the same concept. It's not like the devs will ever know people's options either if we all just sit there and sulk/change it to our own tastes instead of saying something about it.

Reactions: Chocorate

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I know solars were overpowered. Yet I'd with the new recipe requiring a matter fabricator and precious iridium (which is VERY hard to come by that early in), I'd say it went from a recipe a bit too easy to a game crippling one. You can't say "oh just use the fabricator to magic up some iridium" because that takes a sh*t ton of EU to do in the first place on top of the matter you need for the sunnarium parts (This even includes using the UU-matter to make platinum for centrifuging instead.) So requiring so much resources for a machine that does a measly 8EU/t in the day is just silly.

While I do enjoy solars, yes. I do delve into other ways for EU generation too. With stuff like steam turbines and multiple thermal generators.. Still not enough EU to keep things going smoothly. I'd make a massive watermill factory but my way requires timers to transport full and empty buckets. Something I'd rather not let loose on a server due to mass lag. Windmills are a pain because you either end up losing most of your EU through the cable loss (even with GFC) or have to make a ton of MFEs just to keep the EU (Something that wastes precious chrome making rubies or diamonds.)

Also, just saying "change the config then" doesn't work as I play on SMP servers. Not SSP worlds. Besides, I like to play the game how it was made to be instead of just going "LOL LES MAEK EVRYTIN CHEAPR." If I wanted to do that then I might as well start spawning items too. Pretty much the same concept. It's not like the devs will ever know people's options either if we all just sit there and sulk/change it to our own tastes instead of saying something about it.

Make. A Nuclear. Reactor.

You can make LV nuclear reactors that are not insanely expensive, require no iridum, and require no temperature regulation even without GregTech installed. A solution is right there, waiting for you to enjoy implementing it.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Then you edit the configs and boost up the power! :D
Or you don't and come by with a billion eu per Uranium with a nice gregtech setup!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Then you edit the configs and boost up the power! :D
Or you don't and come by with a billion eu per Uranium with a nice gregtech setup!

Yeah it's pretty slick how easy it is to make a 1 block LV power source with thorium. The worst part of the cost is ~3 stacks of copper.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Make. A Nuclear. Reactor.

You can make LV nuclear reactors that are not insanely expensive, require no iridum, and require no temperature regulation even without GregTech installed. A solution is right there, waiting for you to enjoy implementing it.
Already. Done. It. On. Multiple. Worlds.

I already know how to make a safe reactor setup. Even something foolproof like making a contraption to automatically turn off the hot reactors. Though reactors become boring and more of a chore for me after using it so many times. So I like to branch out more and solars are just something I can use to make a little extra EU in the meantime until I hit proper giant factory mode (which then solars take over for most of the power.)

While the huge nerf to the recipe doesn't harm me too much, I like to think from both angles. Not everybody wants to spend all day maintaining their EU generating machines. So they switch to solars. Like the average minecrafter switches from branch mining to quarrying.