Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
V

valkyrie

Hey,I've been running Thermal Expansion in 1.6.4 with some other mods(nothing really special,just ordinary technical mods and some magic mods) and the textures of conduits,dynamos and ducts are invisible when placed in world and have a weird item icon.Does anyone know why?

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a bug to me... can you recreate it?

Sent from a mystical device from North of the 49th
In the same pack, different worlds, same tool (Rapier: cactus, flint, stone after replacing wood blade by cactus; it was broken before being replaced) I get the same result. Playing DonutCraft version 1.10.2-01.1b (latest) with TiCon 1.10.2-2.4.0.jenkins236.

stry67

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, running into a configuration? problem perhaps. I have a private server for Infinity Evolved and we are running in normal mode. When using the AE2 crafting terminal and NEI, I look up a recipe and shift-click the ? icon to populate the crafting grid with items. Unfor its not pulling normal minecraft items from the AE inventory but will mod stuff. Such as iron, redstone and dirt. Any ideas where to look to fix this?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've had a really weird thing going on for a while now, not sure when it started, or what is causing it...

After certain events (such as opening a vanilla chest, then closing it), my world gets darker, like its sunset... but it immediately begins to lighten up, and within 5 seconds, it's normal daytime again. Why is this happening to my games (doesn't seem to matter what pack I'm playing)? How do I fix it?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I've had a really weird thing going on for a while now, not sure when it started, or what is causing it...

After certain events (such as opening a vanilla chest, then closing it), my world gets darker, like its sunset... but it immediately begins to lighten up, and within 5 seconds, it's normal daytime again. Why is this happening to my games (doesn't seem to matter what pack I'm playing)? How do I fix it?

I was sure this was just me - I'd set up a piston-driven cobble generator and the sky would flash 'dark' whenever the pulse went through. Didn't take five seconds to come back though. More instantaneous than that, but really trippy.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I was sure this was just me - I'd set up a piston-driven cobble generator and the sky would flash 'dark' whenever the pulse went through. Didn't take five seconds to come back though. More instantaneous than that, but really trippy.

Yeah it's a pretty jarring effect, it bothers me quite a bit which is why I need to pin this down and resolve it somehow. You can see the effect best by looking at the clouds immediately after closing the chest, they are dark clouds at that point, and within a few seconds, they gradually brighten and become white clouds again. Just like what happens at Minecraft sunset or sunrise. It's not just use of a chest, it happens for other things as well, I just used the chest as an example.

I'm similarly glad to know I'm not the only one this is happening to... now if we can just figure out what it is!! I set my "lighting" option from Moody to Bright, but that only lessens the effect, it's still there. So it doesn't seem to be related to lighting setting.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Yeah it's a pretty jarring effect, it bothers me quite a bit which is why I need to pin this down and resolve it somehow. You can see the effect best by looking at the clouds immediately after closing the chest, they are dark clouds at that point, and within a few seconds, they gradually brighten and become white clouds again. Just like what happens at Minecraft sunset or sunrise. It's not just use of a chest, it happens for other things as well, I just used the chest as an example.

I'm similarly glad to know I'm not the only one this is happening to... now if we can just figure out what it is!! I set my "lighting" option from Moody to Bright, but that only lessens the effect, it's still there. So it doesn't seem to be related to lighting setting.

Out of curiosity, have you seen anything like this happening in NEI? Sometimes when I have it up, mousing over certain areas will cause the coloring on the NEI icons to shift. I'll see if I can get pics.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Hi, running into a configuration? problem perhaps. I have a private server for Infinity Evolved and we are running in normal mode. When using the AE2 crafting terminal and NEI, I look up a recipe and shift-click the ? icon to populate the crafting grid with items. Unfor its not pulling normal minecraft items from the AE inventory but will mod stuff. Such as iron, redstone and dirt. Any ideas where to look to fix this?

I'll bet it is an IC2 exp item you are crafting. Most of the IC2 stuff just doesn't shift-click ? right into AE correctly. Almost everything else works correctly. However, the IC2 stuff does work correctly once you create patterns for auto crafting.

D

dshadowwolf

Can someone tell me, in Iguana Tweaks, exactly in what config file and exactly what I need to change to be able to change the mining levels of certain ores? In the default config files, I can't find anything about any mining level. I never needed to change mining levels, so I never do it, and I really can't find it out how it is possible to change mining levels. English is not my native language, so maybe just me who don't understand what I have to do.
If my memory is working correctly, there is no way to keep the altered mining levels, only modified. You can either have the altered levels with the whole "needs a mob head" bit or you can have the default setup. This is in 'Modules.cfg' - the 'Harvest Level Tweaks' (B:HarvestLevelTweaks) setting.

D

dshadowwolf

I think I have seen this before. If you google it you can find sources for the two APIs/whatever that it is trying to download. Simply DL them manually and put them in your installation and you will not experience the loading pause any longer.

EDIT: It is the "commons-codec-1.9" and "commons-compress-1.8.1" it is trying to download, right?
I have seen this as well... Those two are common culprits - thanks to INpure Core, in my case - but there are several others that will try to access files on Dropbox or other services (and sometimes privately owned/operated servers) that cause similar issues.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Are any of the items in those recipes that don't want to shift-click for you items that do not stack in normal inventories, such as tools and filled buckets? If so, that's a known issue.

I've had precisely what you describe- with the screen dimming whenever I open and then close my inventory, and then fading back to normal over the course of a few seconds- sometimes on certain packs. When it happened, which was rare, it would keep happening until I rebooted my client, which would usually fix it. I never managed to reproduce it reliably (nor did I really try to); all I do know is that it only ever happened on a certain even-then-pretty-horribly-outdated instance of Infinity on which I'd updated a few mods (such as Botania) and added a few more (including Clockwork Phase and some of the Reika suite).

Are you on a Mac, by any chance? I am, and I've gotten a few other weird apparently-platform-dependent bugs in Modded MC as well.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I've had precisely what you describe- with the screen dimming whenever I open and then close my inventory, and then fading back to normal over the course of a few seconds- sometimes on certain packs. When it happened, which was rare, it would keep happening until I rebooted my client, which would usually fix it. I never managed to reproduce it reliably (nor did I really try to); all I do know is that it only ever happened on a certain even-then-pretty-horribly-outdated instance of Infinity on which I'd updated a few mods (such as Botania) and added a few more (including Clockwork Phase and some of the Reika suite).

Are you on a Mac, by any chance? I am, and I've gotten a few other weird apparently-platform-dependent bugs in Modded MC as well.

PC here. I've updated the piston-based cobblegen, so I can't really duplicate that at the moment. The NEI thing seems to happen when I'm in the UI for certain machines, and may have something to do with 'what items have any possibility of being useful there'. For example, when interfacing with the TC smeltery, I noticed that hovering over either the molten ores or the lava level, everything but the lava and water items would dim.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Sounds like the effect you get when you double click in the NEI search bar

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Not on a Mac, I use a PC. So I guess it isn't platform-dependent.

Thanks for the tip on rebooting, I will try that next time it happens and see if that stops the effect from happening. Not sure I've tried a reboot to see if it resolves it, that's a good idea because it will offer another small clue.

I have another weird problem with my Win 10 PC and modded Minecraft - the Start Menu text disappears. Clicking Start still pops up the menu, but it's totally blank. I've discovered that if I don't run Minecraft (I always play thru the FTB Launcher), then this problem never happens. But if I DO play a modpack thru FTB, my menu text eventually disappears. It doesn't happen right away, but at some point, if I play Minecraft long enough, I will go to the Start Menu and be greeted by a popup window that is blank. It's pretty LOL, I have no clue what could be causing it, nor do I have any idea if the problem is with Minecraft, with FTB Launcher, with a specific mod in the modpack I'm playing, or even with Windows 10 (which I've tweaked as much as possible to prevent Microsoft's data collection efforts)... etc. A computer reboot does indeed solve that problem, for the time being. I wonder if the two things could be related somehow?

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like the effect you get when you double click in the NEI search bar

I'm seeing NEI mentioned a lot during this discussion... which brings to mind another issue I have with modded Minecraft.

When I play a creative world, open up the inventory, and click on the compass icon in order to do an item search via NEI... why is there always a very long delay before I can type letters into the search box? It is one of the most annoying things, and I've dealt with this issue for as long as I can remember. It's such an annoyance that I rarely have the patience to play in a creative world. I only use that mode if I absolutely must build a prototype in creative mode before attempting to build it in surival mode. Naturally, I always use NEI, and others have told me this issue is normal, but I find that difficult to believe. Do all the rest of you folks experience the same thing as I just described?

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
I'm seeing NEI mentioned a lot during this discussion... which brings to mind another issue I have with modded Minecraft.

When I play a creative world, open up the inventory, and click on the compass icon in order to do an item search via NEI... why is there always a very long delay before I can type letters into the search box? It is one of the most annoying things, and I've dealt with this issue for as long as I can remember. It's such an annoyance that I rarely have the patience to play in a creative world. I only use that mode if I absolutely must build a prototype in creative mode before attempting to build it in surival mode. Naturally, I always use NEI, and others have told me this issue is normal, but I find that difficult to believe. Do all the rest of you folks experience the same thing as I just described?
You are searching using the vanilla way, the vanilla creative menu has this problem, I recommend using Creative +

Reactions: asb3pe

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
You are searching using the vanilla way, the vanilla creative menu has this problem, I recommend using Creative +
or alternative, clicking on the chest in the lower right corner (or survival inventory as it is called) does exactly what it is called and renders the survival inventory including the creative tabs and the NEI search bar.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
or alternative, clicking on the chest in the lower right corner (or survival inventory as it is called) does exactly what it is called and renders the survival inventory including the creative tabs and the NEI search bar.

Yeah, I dunno what "Creative +" is (there is a mod by that name on Curse, I see), but I've definitely been searching the "vanilla" way. I'll try your method and see if that helps me (I probably wasn't aware there is another, separate search bar for NEI).

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah, I dunno what "Creative +" is (there is a mod by that name on Curse, I see), but I've definitely been searching the "vanilla" way. I'll try your method and see if that helps me (I probably wasn't aware there is another, separate search bar for NEI).
with nei you can easily switch to the different game modes. It also adds one that is called creative+. This is basically normal creative but when opening your inventory it is like you opened a double chest. Obviously items stored in the "double chest" are correctly stored in between opening of the inventory.

The reason I don't use it is because this extra inventory space is a: pretty much useless in creative due to it being very easy to grab all the items you need and b: only visible when opening your own inventory and thus not when opening a chest or something else which means it becomes even less usefull

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well thanks to this discussion I have confirmed that the mod causing the visual issues in my self-made modpack is NEI.

Yes, in the NEI options I discovered Creative+ button. I pressed it but it didn't change anything. Also, even tho I was in "/gamemode 1" (creative mode), NEI did not let me pull items from the "items screen" and place them in my inventory. Perhaps that is why Creative+ mode was suggested above, but I was unable to figure out how to activate it.

But here was my key moment of discovery. I saw NEI Options has a large button, "NEI Enabled". So I pressed it, changed it to "NEI Disabled", and returned to my game. Guess what? No more visual glitch with the clouds, with the sun, and with the world lighting. Everything was perfectly normal! Re-enabling NEI caused the effect to return.

So I'm getting somewhere. Perhaps the answer is just to remove NEI, but that's a mod I've always felt was kind of manditory for modded, no? Since I'm having a lot of trouble with the mod, perhaps it's worth a try to remove it and see how the game plays without it. Why would just a few of us be having this issue with NEI, but not everybody (since nobody else has chimed in agreeing they have the same problem)? Maybe it's a conflict between NEI and some other mod that not everybody installs?