Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
When did Big Reactors stop getting maintained?

The last released version was released April of 2015. So....
However, I believe someone is doing an unofficial (or maybe official???) port of it. I seen it on Reddit, I believe.

I don't think anything official has been said about Big Reactors no longer being maintained, but it's a safe assumption that it's dead. Last release in April 2015, last time the dev was active on Twitter was May 2015, last commit on GitHub was over a year ago. And that's all I could find after a quick check.

Should be interesting to see if someone tries to continue it and to see if they decide to follow the roadmap that was posted.

Edit: I found a thing. It's the most up to date repository I could quickly find.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone's update could technically be considered official as the original dev stated that anyone could use his mod and code however they wanted.

Moritz30

Jul 29, 2019
To the FTB-Forum-Team: Can I make a forum bot for this thread, please? I don't know if I'm able to do it (never tried to make a xenforo bot before) but I'd be happy to be allowed to do this?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
To the FTB-Forum-Team: Can I make a forum bot for this thread, please? I don't know if I'm able to do it (never tried to make a xenforo bot before) but I'd be happy to be allowed to do this?
I won't stop you, but I honestly think that would be a bad idea. There are a lot of mods updating out there and we really don't need notifications for every single one. It would fill up the what's new thread and defeat the purpose. I would rather keep it to notable news.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I won't stop you, but I honestly think that would be a bad idea. There are a lot of mods updating out there and we really don't need notifications for every single one. It would fill up the what's new thread and defeat the purpose. I would rather keep it to notable news.
He's a translator, so chances are he's posting updates for the mods he translates.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
IF you really need a big reactor, just install reactor craft :)

(plus rotarycraft, plus dragon API ... I did not say "easy to make" reactor, I said big.)

kerts93

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know TeamCOFH current state (have they abandoned their mods, are are they working on newer versions)?

Last edited:

SpawnMoarOverlords

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm curious to know if FTB has any kind of timeline for when major modpacks might start becoming available for 1.9/1.10? I realize a lot of this comes down to the individual mod authors updating their mods (or designing new ones for the new version as with TerraFirmaCraft 2). Is there a general consensus that the modding community is going to stick with 1.7.10 for a bit longer yet, or are they finally ready to move on to 1.9+? I recognize a few mods have made the jump already: RFTools, ModularStorage, Blood Magic, etc. but it seems like a lot of the big tech mods like Thermal Dynamics, Applied Energistics, Big Reactors, GalactiCraft, etc. have not yet made the leap and I'm just wondering when/if any of those mods might be available and if FTB will make modpacks for later versions of Minecraft when/if those mods get updated.

To be clear, I'm not asking you to go ask these mod authors for me. I'm asking if anyone is aware of what the status is of various disparate mods in general. Many times a lot of the mod authors sort of know one another and make tentative plans to update things around the same time, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any such plans for 1.9 and later versions of Minecraft. I seem to recall that when FTB Inventions was released, the guys designing the pack mentioned that it would probably be one of FTB's last packs for 1.7.10 and so they didn't want to do a major ground-up modpack like Infinity Evolved, but there weren't any more specific kinds of timeframes put on that statement. Anybody familiar with something more specific?

Ockman

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm curious to know if FTB has any kind of timeline for when major modpacks might start becoming available for 1.9/1.10? I realize a lot of this comes down to the individual mod authors updating their mods (or designing new ones for the new version as with TerraFirmaCraft 2). Is there a general consensus that the modding community is going to stick with 1.7.10 for a bit longer yet, or are they finally ready to move on to 1.9+? I recognize a few mods have made the jump already: RFTools, ModularStorage, Blood Magic, etc. but it seems like a lot of the big tech mods like Thermal Dynamics, Applied Energistics, Big Reactors, GalactiCraft, etc. have not yet made the leap and I'm just wondering when/if any of those mods might be available and if FTB will make modpacks for later versions of Minecraft when/if those mods get updated.

In my experience the jump to 1.8 was (from a code perspective) quite large, and then jumping to 1.9 (from a game mechanic standpoint) is large in a different way. The larger the mod the longer it's going to take, and many are being re engineered like extra utilities 2. The mod authors for these mods hop on the forgecraft teamspeak during other peoples streams and videos, and its obvious progress is being made. As for an ETA though, i'm guessing these mods are going to come out staggered rather than all at once, and then pack creation and testing ect ect.

Fingers crossed for something like infinity for 1.10 by christmas? idk

Reactions: MigukNamja

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Elec332 and me worked on our Modding Trials entry: Elemental Dimensions. This is an adventure/exploration mod with 5 dimensions (Earth, Water, Air, Spirit, and Fire) which you have to go through to gain the final reward: Elemental Wand. This wand can do various things like teleportation, digging and damage.

Given the limited time we had on this entry the mod is obviously still a bit barebones. The mobs are just retextured vanilla mobs and the dimensions can use a lot more decoration. But it is a start. This mod is for 1.10.2 and also requires ElecCore.

Download: https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/248539-elemental-dimensions

MgaQm1b.png

Have fun!
Dude, this looks REALLY cool :D Well done to all involved!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for making this mod, I had the same idea years ago and mentioned it on the request a mod topic. This would be a good counter to tech mods, and force players to plan their bases a bit more, especially if it does affect crops. Keeping a good eye on this.

Thanks ! @Pyure and I have been discussing this concept for a few modpacks now. In the real world, you don't simply burn a lot of fossil fuels (near where you live and where you grow crops !) and expect everything to be peachy. It will introduce another mechanic for players to be creative with how to solve.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks ! @Pyure and I have been discussing this concept for a few modpacks now. In the real world, you don't simply burn a lot of fossil fuels (near where you live and where you grow crops !) and expect everything to be peachy. It will introduce another mechanic for players to be creative with how to solve.
If you can, make it so that the player/mod pack maker can configure which block produces what amount of pollution, plus if it's possible to detect when a block is "On" (aka actively doing something to cause pollution) bonus points.
I would even say that Lava is a source of pollution. You don't really see pools of lava surrounded by lush green fields. Basing the idea on Thaumcrafts Taint is a great idea. That was a perfect pollution system.
Look forward to seeing Acid Rain decimating your tree farms in a later version :p