Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I love that most of the new stuff (from a players perspective) has existed in modded MC for many many versions. Again, nothing new, unique or interesting being produced.
Mojang's biggest problem is the constant internal changes rather than actually focusing on the content. Nothing added in 1.8, 1.9, and now 1.10 snapshots have required any of the major overhaul that they continue to make to the game. Stuff like separating item and block color overrides into an entirely new mechanism in 1.9 and 1.9.4. Why? What does that gain other than another decrease in performance of searching more hashmaps every time anything is rendered? The end result to all of this rewriting is more bugs, when they still haven't fixed ones from previous rewrites.

Modders have historically done more with a lot less, because their focus is specifically content. Mods haven't particularly improved as a result of any of these rewrites. Ironically, some of them got worse, like Thaumcraft 5 did initially due to 1.8's lack of flexibility. Though I guess to be fair, that was as much Forge's fault as it was Mojang's.
I think the point for mojang is to make it easier for them to add new content. They have never really seemed to care much for modded.
As for performance, just get a new computer. That's a big win for microsoft. :/

^^Yet the modding community carries on porting to the next version regardless. I'm sat here thinking 'what a colossal waste of dev time that could be better invested in implementing awesome content for this version'
Though I suppose the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.​

Reactions: RedBoss and Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
^^Yet the modding community carries on porting to the next version regardless. I'm sat here thinking 'what a colossal waste of dev time that could be better invested in implementing awesome content for this version'
Though I suppose the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.​
Agreed. I'd love to see the modding community focus on a "modded edition" that focuses on performance (aka, fixing all the stuff that is wrong in MC). I just don't understand the "rush" to always be on the latest version. Most (if not all) of the future content can be backported to that special "modded edition".

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

But we do get different results. Every update we lose a few mods and gain a few. And those that stay get updates improvements and changes or even complete overhauls. (Thaumcraft, EE) Not that we don't lose some good things. (Dartcraft) But by and large we gain more than we lose.
New devs that didn't want to have to compete with all the old ones to get noticed, think about how long EIO took to start getting implemented in mod packs, and old ones that stopped getting really updated.
Without all that we might still be playing with just buildcraft and IC2.

C

-Craft-

Is there a document of a summary of the news the last month alone.
or a document that someone made that's 1.9 modded news?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Is there a document of a summary of the news the last month alone.
or a document that someone made that's 1.9 modded news?

There is no summary that anyone has made, however you can go back a few pages and see a lot of it.

Unless you have an announcement to make, please post discussion related things in this thread.

Reactions: Watchful11

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of a request, probably in the wrong forum but fits in with what CoolSquid said above about any requests so I'll roll with it.

I run a modded server for friends, usually about 7 on at a time but more are a part of it. We all have a big skype chat and we play daily and it truly is a lot of fun. Some of us, myself included, know a great deal about what we are doing. Others, however are inexperienced with the magic of minecraft modding.

So my request is this, is there a mod out there that automatically updates modpacks? For example, I'd upload a file to a site somewhere and a button pops up on the minecraft start page that an update exists, the player clicks that button and the pack begins to update. @CoolSquid This is where you come in. You're like, the god of customization in my opinion. So do you know of any mod, or is there a way of doing this you could/have implemented in one of your mods.

I could always make a .batch file to do it, but thats tedious and I'm genuinely too busy to do such. Thanks in advance to anyone with help tho!

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
The closest I can think of is Technic's Solder, but that requires you to manually add the updates to the server.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Kind of a request, probably in the wrong forum but fits in with what CoolSquid said above about any requests so I'll roll with it.

I run a modded server for friends, usually about 7 on at a time but more are a part of it. We all have a big skype chat and we play daily and it truly is a lot of fun. Some of us, myself included, know a great deal about what we are doing. Others, however are inexperienced with the magic of minecraft modding.

So my request is this, is there a mod out there that automatically updates modpacks? For example, I'd upload a file to a site somewhere and a button pops up on the minecraft start page that an update exists, the player clicks that button and the pack begins to update. @CoolSquid This is where you come in. You're like, the god of customization in my opinion. So do you know of any mod, or is there a way of doing this you could/have implemented in one of your mods.

I could always make a .batch file to do it, but thats tedious and I'm genuinely too busy to do such. Thanks in advance to anyone with help tho!
That's exactly what launchers are for. The four major launchers, not including multimc, offer something like this. I would recommend the curse app as the easiest to use, but technic, ATLauncher and the FTB launcher all have similar functionality.

Reactions: xbony2

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I would not recommend blindly updating mods when dealing with a pack, unless you are ready willing and able to revert back to older versions (with world saves) as most mod authors don't check (nor should they) if an update in their mod will break packs. Look at forestry and binnies mods for example.

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

Edited for autocorrect bullshite

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
I would not recommend blindly updating mods when dealing with a pack, unless you are ready willing and able to revert back to older versions (with world saves) as most mod authors don't check (nor should they) if an update in their mod will break packs. Look at forestry and binnies mods for example.

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

Edited for autocorrect bullshite
Trust me I know what I'm doing. I've been running the server for four years

That's exactly what launchers are for. The four major launchers, not including multimc, offer something like this. I would recommend the curse app as the easiest to use, but technic, ATLauncher and the FTB launcher all have similar functionality.
All of us despise launchers with a passion so we can't do that. I'm still looking for a mod to do such. Chances are i will indeed make a executable program to do it

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Trust me I know what I'm doing. I've been running the server for four years

All of us despise launchers with a passion so we can't do that. I'm still looking for a mod to do such. Chances are i will indeed make a executable program to do it

Ahh I miss read your question, you want it to automatically update the modpack to your server host..

My bad :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. I'd love to see the modding community focus on a "modded edition" that focuses on performance (aka, fixing all the stuff that is wrong in MC). I just don't understand the "rush" to always be on the latest version. Most (if not all) of the future content can be backported to that special "modded edition".
The problem is that forge does not update past revisions after a while. 1.7.10 has gotten more support than any other out-of-date version.

People want the features of the new forge to make new mods. That mean updating to a new minecraft. If all of Forge's new features were backported to 1.7.10? Then we have Gany's mods and Et Futurum. There's at least a start of a backport of the Mojang glider (no I do not know how to spell electra)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that forge does not update past revisions after a while. 1.7.10 has gotten more support than any other out-of-date version.

People want the features of the new forge to make new mods. That mean updating to a new minecraft. If all of Forge's new features were backported to 1.7.10? Then we have Gany's mods and Et Futurum. There's at least a start of a backport of the Mojang glider (no I do not know how to spell electra)

Someone already did back port the glider. And most of the other 1.9 features. I don't remember what the mod was called though. Check the last few pages of the new mods thread.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Someone already did back port the glider. And most of the other 1.9 features. I don't remember what the mod was called though. Check the last few pages of the new mods thread.

What those mod don't port is the new cleaner vanilla Minecraft code (which is a HUGE help for modders). The performance improvements that have been done and so on. That's why it stays important to keep up to date with what Mojang does.

Reactions: Padfoote

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
What. Mojang is decreasing performance, not increasing it. BlockPos anyone? As for the other changes, some of them are good, and some of them are bad. The bad ones overshadow the good ones tbh. The good ones could've been implemented by Forge. The bad ones are forcing us to JSON everything.

BlockPos really is not that bad. And there are many improvements in many places (especially rendering). 1.8 and 1.9 modded worlds run a lot smoother for me compared to 1.7.10 (with similar number of mods). Even if the 1.7.10 instance has Optifine and/or Fastcraft.

And 'forcing' everyone to JSON is a good thing. It really helps make the code clean and separate logic from rendering. Many modders (including me) very much like the JSON change a lot

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
BlockPos, as I understand, forces large numbers of temporary objects that fill the eden space very quickly, resulting in large numbers of small collections. This in turn causes the number of small collections that an object survives to cross the threshold of promotion faster; this in turn generates more premature promotion into tenured of junk that should never last that long.

In CMS collection, the critical threshold was around 30-45 seconds -- you wanted new (eden + survivor) to be big enough that promotion took that long, because it took that long for lots of dead objects to die off. Tuning that to be about 5 collections was not hard. I don't know that it would be possible in 1.8+ given the large rate of new junk position objects.

G1GC, sadly I don't have anywhere near enough understanding of what it's doing to say. I've seen some instances (looking at visualVM) where there's no sign of unwanted tenuring or major collections, and other instances where it shows up constantly. Any attempt to add tuning flags to control it result in behavior that doesn't match expected (and is not wanted), but letting it run with no tuning flags gives good performance. And as much as the manual claims it will insist on a minimum amount of memory, it really does listen to your maximum memory specification. (And that's just 1.7.10; I have no idea how it behaves in 1.8+).

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
BlockPos, as I understand, forces large numbers of temporary objects that fill the eden space very quickly, resulting in large numbers of small collections. This in turn causes the number of small collections that an object survives to cross the threshold of promotion faster; this in turn generates more premature promotion into tenured of junk that should never last that long.

Minecraft used to have a vector pool as well and in some cases forced you to allocate Vector3s from there, to reduce garbage collection. That has since been eliminated.