Minecraft 1.9 / 1.10. and future of mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What will moding be like in future?

• Total voters

assasin172

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Hello all,

so at this point in time there isn't realy that much mods for 1.8 because lot of moders either decided to wait for 1.9 or retired from moding cause of minecraft 1.8 huge API change.

I still see lot of potencial in minecraft mods and miss some of those mods in new versions. And here comes my point - since 1.9. been out for only short period of time and now 1.10. is knocking on door. So what this would mean for moding comunity over all?

Will there be less mods or some api with abstract layer like NOVA etc? or RIP moding?

EDIT: I would love to see Electrodynamics in action :)

Last edited:

Chaoschaot234

May 30, 2015
The problem can be the hole API changes which where made and if 1.10 will be released there can also be new changes.

I dunno if Mojang pushes this out or if Microsoft has there hands on it to because 1.7 is the actally best known Version since
Bukkit used it. 1.8/1.9/1.10 are for me only fast-push versions with no intention to live over a longer time which is horrible
for modders if at the same time an API change is made.

I hope, that they stop pushing updates to MC out for a few month (ok, bugfixes should be pushed, but then not as major version change)
so modder can be porting there mods to the actually API.

This is my intension/meaning of the current situation but we will see what happends to the mods.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Given how extensive the changes look like they are going to be for 1.10 (Its almost liked they saw that modded things were coming out for 1.9.4 and decided they needed to be ahead...), and taking what we've seen of the promising work modding work done for 1.8.9 and 1.9.0 (see DW20's forgecraft series for this one! plus many more Dire HASN'T used), I think that what we may see is the community going "Enough, for now" and hunkering down to stick to 1.9.4.

It looks like 1.9.4 may well be this iteration's equivalent of 1.7.10 and I'm hoping that THAT will be the line drawn. When you look at mods like Quark, ExU2, Thaumcraft 5 (I'm sure that will be coming shortly), TiCon, Psi, Blood Magic, and so on - and how they stand in 1.9.X - I think that there is a really promising future for modding, if everyone gets on the same page.

- GwnG

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Where are the positive options like 'more mods' etc? While it might be quite difficult to predict which version of Minecraft will be 'the next big thing', to suggest that modding is dead or close to it is nothing but scaremongering. Modding will continue, as it has done after every other major update that modders dug their heels in over. The 1.7.10 ecosystem has grown tiresome for a lot of players and I, for one, will be looking forward to the new ideas and revamped mods we have to come. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if we get settled on 1.9.4, 1.10.x, 1.11.x or whatever. It'll happen and there'll still be a huge selection of mods to play.

Personally, I think 1.7.10 stuck around for about 6 months longer than it needed to, the decision to move on isn't in one persons hands though and the fact we are now in the process of moving away from 1.7.10 is a good thing, not a bad thing.

assasin172

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Where are the positive options like 'more mods' etc? While it might be quite difficult to predict which version of Minecraft will be 'the next big thing', to suggest that modding is dead or close to it is nothing but scaremongering. Modding will continue, as it has done after every other major update that modders dug their heels in over. The 1.7.10 ecosystem has grown tiresome for a lot of players and I, for one, will be looking forward to the new ideas and revamped mods we have to come. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if we get settled on 1.9.4, 1.10.x, 1.11.x or whatever. It'll happen and there'll still be a huge selection of mods to play.

Personally, I think 1.7.10 stuck around for about 6 months longer than it needed to, the decision to move on isn't in one persons hands though and the fact we are now in the process of moving away from 1.7.10 is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Added that option for you ;)
Well i would say never say never but from my perspective as programmer - there is lot of changes in code since 1.7.10 > quite few developers said they are not going to be developing mods for 1.8.X and rather go for 1.9. hopefuy there would be time before they push 1.10. update or somebody would finalize API that would be able to support mods on never versions without too much trouble. But also lot of mods are dead as developers quit. But let's hope for bright future because we all love mods <3

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
When Mojang tweeted about the 1.10 pre-release 1 they said something to the effect that people used to the old release cycle should probably wait until 1.14 to update. They may have been joking but I think this means no game-breaking changes for a while.

Given the ease I've seen some livestream developers update code from 1.8.9 to 1.9 I would say the new apparent cycle bodes well for the community, because Mojang cannot make major changes in that qulck a time. Bug fixes may require minor code changes, but at least one mod update I saw live involved merely changing a build file to specify the new Minecraft and the Forge versions.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Added that option for you ;)
Well i would say never say never but from my perspective as programmer - there is lot of changes in code since 1.7.10 > quite few developers said they are not going to be developing mods for 1.8.X and rather go for 1.9. hopefuy there would be time before they push 1.10. update or somebody would finalize API that would be able to support mods on never versions without too much trouble. But also lot of mods are dead as developers quit. But let's hope for bright future because we all love mods <3

I understand that a number of developers have decided to walk away rather than update from 1.7 -> 1.8/1.9. Unfortunately, this dilemma occurs at every major code update, as some people just don't have the will, skill, or even simply the free time to update their mod. This is particularly true of larger mods, as that means more code to rewrite, often from scratch (Thaumcraft comes to mind). It's a daunting job, and not all mods make the cut . They will be missed (some people are still pining over the loss of RedPower), but it's the nature of the game.

The good news is, this has happened before, and it led to some really nice mods getting a chance to shine that otherwise would have been sitting on people's back burner at best. When one mod decides not to move on, there are easily a dozen fighting to take its place. Some mods will change hands, as someone who loves it and has the skill will hate to see it die (permissions respected, in most cases). Some open source projects will be forked and take a new turn. Sometimes, a modder will say it's too much work for the trouble at this stage,, then change their tune as the scene stabilizes and doubts are overcome.

Don't panic.

As mentioned above, it seems the next batch of core MC updates are intended to be non-gameshattering for the modding community. This means we may have seemingly rapid updates, but jumping mods from 1.8 up through 1.10+ will be easier than the jump from 1.6 -> 1.7 or 1.7 -> 1.8. if this holds true, the development window we are entering may well be longer than the 1.6 or 1.7 eras, but with the added bonus of new Vanilla updates and features sprinkled in. This also means that Forge may get a chance to upgrade into an even better modding API, seeing as they won't have to rewrite the entire thing for each bump.

In short, don't panic. We'll lose some mods, and more will come to shine. Bittersweet, but so it is. This is cyclical, and when you start to feel overwhelmed, look at how far the modding community has come so far, then realize how much further we can come if given a reasonable timeframe on a stable core. It's going to be OK.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see more progression added to the game, the recipe changes done in Infinity Evolved Expert Mode has been a huge success IMO. Increasing the difficulty of the game progression, as well as slowing it down is easily influenced by recipes, as was shown.

Also, I would love to see more exploring added to the game. I think we need something that requires us to leave our base and go out looking. Generally, the longer we play a modpack, the bigger our base gets, and the more we automate stuff (such as mining, via quarries or similar), the LESS we ever have to actually leave our base and go exploring. There's simply no real reason to go out and look for anything in the world at that point, and in fact, I intentionally DON'T explore more of my world once I'm settled... because that only increases the size of the save file. Know what I mean? This is a problem, in my eyes.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

I agree about modding surviving. People still mod Doom FFS!

The scene might diminish but folks will still be around.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

assasin172

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I would like to see more progression added to the game, the recipe changes done in Infinity Evolved Expert Mode has been a huge success IMO. Increasing the difficulty of the game progression, as well as slowing it down is easily influenced by recipes, as was shown.

Also, I would love to see more exploring added to the game. I think we need something that requires us to leave our base and go out looking. Generally, the longer we play a modpack, the bigger our base gets, and the more we automate stuff (such as mining, via quarries or similar), the LESS we ever have to actually leave our base and go exploring. There's simply no real reason to go out and look for anything in the world at that point, and in fact, I intentionally DON'T explore more of my world once I'm settled... because that only increases the size of the save file. Know what I mean? This is a problem, in my eyes.

This is why lot of ppl loved original Gregtech - it's been difficuld and forced you to do stuff outside.. and yes there needs to bee something which forses you to go find some sort of stuff. On the other hand when you reached endgame in Infinity Evolved Expert Mode there are some creative items only which you are able to craft which i don't like. (like that creative power thing - you craft that and you are like yay now i can do EVERYTHING)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is why lot of ppl loved original Gregtech - it's been difficuld and forced you to do stuff outside.. and yes there needs to bee something which forses you to go find some sort of stuff. On the other hand when you reached endgame in Infinity Evolved Expert Mode there are some creative items only which you are able to craft which i don't like. (like that creative power thing - you craft that and you are like yay now i can do EVERYTHING)

Yes, essentially, the game seems to be going backwards, in the wrong direction. Instead of the game encouraging leaving your base, the game almost demands that you don't leave it... otherwise, nothing will ever get done. This concept is even worse in vanilla minecraft, where there are no "chunk loaders" to assist the player. That's the ultimate way to ensure a player will never leave their base - don't allow chunk loading - because all progress stops instantly once a player leaves their base.

So bottom line, I think the game has it all backwards. First of all, base chunks should be "always on" by default. FTB Utilities has solved this problem very nicely, without the need for the player to do anything other than click on the map to tell Minecraft which chunks to be loading. And second of all, as I already said, this game needs a mod developer to come up with a reason to get players back out exploring during mid- and end-game in the worst possible way. I hope someone steps up with a great idea and great mod to fix this problem with the game.

And yes, GregTech is - and probably always will be - the greatest mod in all of modded Minecraft. In my opinion, of course. I love you, Gregorious T. :D

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, there's a way. Just make resources only appear in certain biomes/dimensions.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, there's a way. Just make resources only appear in certain biomes/dimensions.

Excellent. And how many mod designers are utilizing this idea? I'd say it's zero of em.

Most modpacks are still using the same 5 or 6 boring "vanilla" ores (if we include copper and tin which never used to be vanilla but I think they might actually be in the vanilla game now).

Metallurgy added a ton of worldgen ores for us to find and use, but most modpacks don't use that mod... and even when I find a pack with Metallurgy, it still suffers from the same problem - most materials get skipped over as you jump from "low tier" materials right up to the upper-tier materials without ever having to go thru the middle tiers.

Of course, once again, it is Gregorious T to the rescue, with GregTech's awesome and totally unique worldgen, with hundreds of different ores and forcing the player to go explore for them (yes, even during mid-game and end-game). At this point, I can't even play other modpacks anymore, Infitech 2 is pretty much the "FTB Ultimate" for me, given my attitude about this subject matter.

Last edited:

assasin172

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site

that was kind of done in forestry bees but that didn't worked out welll but this concept seems to be good way but it needs to be spred out in different ways. Like certain crops can be grown in certain biomes etc .. but i dont know.

Excellent. And how many mod designers are utilizing this idea? I'd say it's zero of em.

Most modpacks are still using the same 5 or 6 boring "vanilla" ores (if we include copper and tin which never used to be vanilla but I think they might actually be in the vanilla game now).

Metallurgy added a ton of worldgen ores for us to find and use, but most modpacks don't use that mod... and even when I find a pack with Metallurgy, it still suffers from the same problem - most materials get skipped over as you jump from "low tier" materials right up to the upper-tier materials without ever having to go thru the middle tiers.

Of course, once again, it is Gregorious T to the rescue, with GregTech's awesome and totally unique worldgen, with hundreds of different ores and forcing the player to go explore for them (yes, even during mid-game and end-game). At this point, I can't even play other modpacks anymore, Infitech 2 is pretty much the "FTB Ultimate" for me, given my attitude about this subject matter.

Gregorious T for the win <3

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

@CovertJaguar, of Railcraft, puts Saltpeter in deserts and Sulfur in Hill biomes close to lava, Abyssal Stone nodes in deep ocean biomes and Quarried stone on the surface of Forest biomes. You'd never know most of this as the default config in most FTB packs turns off this generation, and defers it to COFHWorld. Eww.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
@CovertJaguar, of Railcraft, puts Saltpeter in deserts and Sulfur in Hill biomes close to lava, Abyssal Stone nodes in deep ocean biomes and Quarried stone on the surface of Forest biomes. You'd never know most of this as the default config in most FTB packs turns off this generation, and defers it to COFHWorld. Eww.

I do stand corrected - thank you Chris Becke for your excellent point, and thank you CovertJaguar!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I like the idea of moving things to force people outside the walls, making too many things (ores on particular) biome based irks me. This is due to always having at least one Biome that just doesn't want to show up till I'm 5k from home. That's not feasible to me.

What I find better, personally, is to increase the size of ore veins dramatically, but space then out significantly and make them Y-level dependant. For my pet pack, I sprinkled a few small patches (3-5 ore per) of iron, copper, and tin on/around the surface just to get people started, but finding a vein is a significant milestone, and will likely support you till end-game. I like this better than default due to it encouraging exploring, encouraging a proper mineshaft build (as you'll be using it regularly), and the fact that it minimizes the usefulness of mass chunk mining with a quarry (I'm not a big fan of the Quarry for a number of reasons I don't need to get into here).

Maybe I'm wired differently , but I take regular walkabouts to explore my worlds. It helps gather resources, find new landscapes to build on, and simply take a breather from projects. So what if things at base pause for a bit while I'm gone? Most of the time, I'll load things up (Blast Furnace is a good example) before I go, so I don't have to spend my time just watching the machine do work.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm wired differently , but I take regular walkabouts to explore my worlds. It helps gather resources, find new landscapes to build on, and simply take a breather from projects. So what if things at base pause for a bit while I'm gone? Most of the time, I'll load things up (Blast Furnace is a good example) before I go, so I don't have to spend my time just watching the machine do work.

But it's still the Overworld, it's still the exact same things in it. After a while, you've seen it all, you know it all, and you just have no reason to go, except for talking the walk itself (to take a break from things). This brings to mind a mod like Galacticraft. Now THERE is a mod that fits my idea to a "T" - new places to explore, planets and moons, except you can't go there until it's mid- or late-game. The problem is, from what I've heard, there just isn't enough "stuff" in Galacticraft to keep the players' interest up for very long. So it's not a perfect mod by any means (I've actually never played it, but the mod is in Infitech 2 modpack so eventually I will)... but the potential is there. We just need someone to take the idea and expand on it bigtime. RF Tools is another mod with similar possibilities, since that mod allows the player to create some very unique looking worlds. Again, once you get to those worlds, there's no "new" stuff tho, just more of the same stuff you can find in any other dimension... but perhaps a mod developer will come along with some great idea to expand on RF Tools and use those machines to make some end-game content that can only be accessed via creating some special world in RF Tools... etc.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
It's one of those things that I need to keep in mind for Jumper, as I'm wanting to continue messing with dimension attributes. Got some ideas on how to make a hell dimension without using the Nether settings.