Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so Resonant Rise 3 with BetterFPS and no Optifine runs with 23 FPS BEFORE I removed the effing Mipmap (seriously, what's it doing there? I noticed no changes...). Once I turned it off It went to 80-110. Now I'm testing different algorithms. I think it's a keeper, since it won't mess with my rendering and I can use Chisel to my heart's content.

What bothers me is that it won't take the 2GB Infinity uses, and I can't understand why... It sticks very near 1GB. Won't even got 1.1.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
There are people who don't have a spare 2 gig of ram these days? What, have I fallen through a timewarp to 2002 or something?
Some people are poor and still have their computer they used to play quake 3 on back in the day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

V

Viperion

Ok, so Resonant Rise 3 with BetterFPS and no Optifine runs with 23 FPS BEFORE I removed the effing Mipmap (seriously, what's it doing there?)
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Is this just the mipmap settings within Minecraft? What were they, and what are they now?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
What bothers me is that it won't take the 2GB Infinity uses, and I can't understand why... It sticks very near 1GB. Won't even got 1.1.
If the contents of the pack and the world and everything in loaded chunks only requires 1GB to be loaded, then how would you expect it to "take" more RAM?

The game will not run faster because you give it more space to load content into than it actually needs. Quite the contrary with JAVA actually...

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
If the contents of the pack and the world and everything in loaded chunks only requires 1GB to be loaded, then how would you expect it to "take" more RAM?

The game will not run faster because you give it more space to load content into than it actually needs. Quite the contrary with JAVA actually...
I find it weird if a higher difference of 30ish mods lets me load the world and deal with everything with half the RAM...

Edit:
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Is this just the mipmap settings within Minecraft? What were they, and what are they now?
Just the default mipmap, yes. It was there on the video options with BetterFPS installed, and if memory serves me right, it's a vanilla option.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I removed the effing Mipmap (seriously, what's it doing there? I noticed no changes...).
Just tried turning it off out of curiosity. You noticed no difference? OMG it is horrible with it off(Using x64 Sortex Fanver if that makes a difference)... I would get a headache within 2 mins from all the blurriness and swirling textures...

M

Mortern

Hey

Quick question on my now working ME Quantum Ring, thanks for the help on my other thread!

But, quick question about Channels i can get from it? It's connected to my main network with a Dense Cable (it's close so not that expensive to route) and i'm using dense cable in my remote base to access, but i do eventually want this to have a good amount of machines for automation and stuff (moving out of main base for lag savings) so im wondering if 32 is the maximum possible channels i can get to work over a Quantum Ring?

I tried connecting a ME Controller but it went offline as soon as i did and didn't allow any channels

Ta!

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Hey

Quick question on my now working ME Quantum Ring, thanks for the help on my other thread!

But, quick question about Channels i can get from it? It's connected to my main network with a Dense Cable (it's close so not that expensive to route) and i'm using dense cable in my remote base to access, but i do eventually want this to have a good amount of machines for automation and stuff (moving out of main base for lag savings) so im wondering if 32 is the maximum possible channels i can get to work over a Quantum Ring?

I tried connecting a ME Controller but it went offline as soon as i did and didn't allow any channels

Ta!
If memory serves, you can finagle some P2P thingies to infinitely expand your network while only using a total of 1 channel on the cable connected to your controller. I honestly don't remember how that works, but its the basic principle behind the Soaryn Drive.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried turning it off out of curiosity. You noticed no difference? OMG it is horrible with it off(Using x64 Sortex Fanver if that makes a difference)... I would get a headache within 2 mins from all the blurriness and swirling textures...
I'm using Faithful 32. Unless I'm completly off, I notice no difference. Also, BetterFPS on RR3 without Optifine performs better than with. On Infinity, Optifine by itself does a great job (so much for Chisel; meh, most of the blocks are ok - only some of the variations of the worldgen rocks and some glass doesn't work well). 100+ FPS > some Chisel blocks

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hey

Ta!
Yes AFAIK you are stuck with 32 channels per ring. But nothing really limits how many rings you have(you can make something pretty cool looking with several of them).

If memory serves, you can finagle some P2P thingies to infinitely expand your network while only using a total of 1 channel on the cable connected to your controller. I honestly don't remember how that works, but its the basic principle behind the Soaryn Drive.
What you basically do is use your Quantum ring channels on P2P (ME cable) channels. You can have up to 32 of them. On each of the P2P channels you then hook up a Dense cable and suddenly you have 32*32 channels. If that is not enough you put P2P channels of the Dense cables and you end up with 32*32*32 channels. And so on...

This is IMO an appalling circumvention of the channel mechanic. I honestly have no idea why the devs went through the trouble of adding the channel mechanic to make the mod less faceroll automation(good call), and then allowed this...

But yeah, you can basically a single dense cable running through your base/quantum rings and then have one of a "gazillion" dense cables coming out of the controller just magically appear wherever from a P2P if you so desire ;)

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Some people are poor and still have their computer they used to play quake 3 on back in the day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sometimes I wish I could run Quake...

I saw five straight minutes of 35 FPS the other night. If was jaw dropping. I seem to average 20 FPS on good days, although this is my SSP world. Things become slightly better when our server is carrying most of the load. I've never seen over 60, so count your blessings, people. In case it wasn't clear, my computer was a hand-me-down from Moses.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yes AFAIK you are stuck with 32 channels per ring. But nothing really limits how many rings you have(you can make something pretty cool looking with several of them).

What you basically do is use your Quantum ring channels on P2P (ME cable) channels. You can have up to 32 of them. On each of the P2P channels you then hook up a Dense cable and suddenly you have 32*32 channels. If that is not enough you put P2P channels of the Dense cables and you end up with 32*32*32 channels. And so on...

This is IMO an appalling circumvention of the channel mechanic. I honestly have no idea why the devs went through the trouble of adding the channel mechanic to make the mod less faceroll automation(good call), and then allowed this...

But yeah, you can basically a single dense cable running through your base/quantum rings and then have one of a "gazillion" dense cables coming out of the controller just magically appear wherever from a P2P if you so desire ;)
Correct on most counts, except that channels powering P2P are marked as such internally and cannot be passed through other P2P tunnels. You can't nest P2Ps. Not ME P2Ps, at least; you might be able to power item or fluid or RF P2P tunnels through your other P2P tunnels. I haven't tested that.

You get 32 channels per quantum ring, and 32 more for each of those that powers a P2P tunnel with a dense cable on it. As you cannot nest them any deeper than that, the limit would be 32 * 32 = 1024 channels per quantum ring. If you need more than that... I doubt building another quantum ring will be an issue.

Reactions: Fraction2 and rhn
M

Mortern

Hey

Thanks for all the help, i do have P2P set up for my base, so i presume i could change that round and send it through the Quantum ring, i have space available on the controllers there.

I currently have a ME Controller Ring that has 16 P2P tunnels connected to it, each of those sets of 8 go into one length of Dense Cable and off each dense cable is 4 rows of Smart cable, each with 8 P2P tunnels on giving me 8 x 32 x 4 (twice) in the base, i haven't used 1 set of those so i could route the second set through the Quantum ring, do the same setup on the other side (1 dense, into 4 smart into 8 p2p tunnels each) and do it that way i think?

But, i didn't realise you could connect more than one Quantum Ring, that might be easier, and maybe less expensive, in reality i don't think i need 1024 channels in my remote base.

So 2 more Quantum Rings giving me 64 might just be enough, i'll have to work out the costs.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Question

Investigating Thaumic Energistics, and I've come across the Distillation Pattern Encoder, and I'm curious as to what it's use is. I recognise that you can make patterns which output essentia. What my question is, can a crafting system recognise that an infusion altar needs x essentia and craft it on demand?

or is this type of system only doable through the use of essentia level emitters?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Was there an item, on Infinity, that could output a precise value of redstone signal? I'm trying to use a comparator next to a mana pool, but running some redstone and leaving a torch isn't pleasing me much on the eyes, so I was looking for something more compact. I believe something like this existed. Or am I dreaming?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Was there an item, on Infinity, that could output a precise value of redstone signal? I'm trying to use a comparator next to a mana pool, but running some redstone and leaving a torch isn't pleasing me much on the eyes, so I was looking for something more compact. I believe something like this existed. Or am I dreaming?
I think maybe something from Automagy or Project:Red. Or maybe a buildcraft gate?

Reactions: Ashendale