1.8: what is holding you back?

I

identity001

A) you should try something different from time to time. It is refreshing.

B) AE2 is being ported
I try something different everytime I start a new world. Just long enough to build up materials for the ME lmao. I could seriously never play this game without the ME. Nothing compares.

Reactions: GreenZombie

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
A) you should try something different from time to time. It is refreshing.

Trying a storage system other than AE is rather like trying 'stabbing yourself in the eye with a sharp thing'. Not really that refreshing afterall. One can argue its mechanics, but its massive indexed storage is without equal.

AE is, well... My 1.8.9 game I have a storage room, it has three sub rooms. Each room has about 30 chests. There are signs eveywhere. I still can't find what I need. The constant creaking of chest lids is driving me mad.
I don't have AE, I don't have RFTools either. Because this is a low tech magic pack. I also don't have my sanity any more. I need AE like massive indexed storage to store they 20K cobble I have. But without the power requrements. Because this is magic afterall.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Trying a storage system other than AE is rather like trying 'stabbing yourself in the eye with a sharp thing'. Not really that refreshing afterall. One can argue its mechanics, but its massive indexed storage is without equal.

AE is, well... My 1.8.9 game I have a storage room, it has three sub rooms. Each room has about 30 chests. There are signs eveywhere. I still can't find what I need. The constant creaking of chest lids is driving me mad.
I don't have AE, I don't have RFTools either. Because this is a low tech magic pack. I also don't have my sanity any more. I need AE like massive indexed storage to store they 20K cobble I have. But without the power requrements. Because this is magic afterall.

Well if it is a low tech magic pack where you didn't add RFTools then should you add AE to that (if it existed)? AE is about as techy as you can go. Really doesn't fit the magic theme IMHO

Reactions: Lyra_Chan

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well if it is a low tech magic pack where you didn't add RFTools then should you add AE to that (if it existed)? AE is about as techy as you can go. Really doesn't fit the magic theme IMHO

No it doesn't. But power can be turned off in the config. And what other choice is there? Iron Chests + JABBA + Better Storage are the best manual storage combo. Some people swear by storage drawers, but I really don't get the attraction. They look appalling.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
EIO is coming, does it's Remote Inventory Panel system play well with Storage Drawers? I've been using it to deal with Sludge Boilers, since it's slightly cheaper than AE, and nutrient distillation is pretty easy to make.

No it doesn't. But power can be turned off in the config. And what other choice is there? Iron Chests + JABBA + Better Storage are the best manual storage combo. Some people swear by storage drawers, but I really don't get the attraction. They look appalling.

Storage Drawers can look awful, particularly if you have a stone house. But you can also place down a drawer controller, some drawer slaves, and have a 12x12x12 or so cube under your floor, and access it all via AE. That combined with the efficiency of double clicking on a controller and draining everything out of your inventory that can be stored makes them very nice to have.

Then again I play with John Smith, and that makes just about everything look awesome. Even the few blocks it doesn't change, because they stand out so well.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
All we need is an inventory interface mod fir 1.8.9 I for some reason built myself a warehouse full of draws with a drawer interface and soob realized I couldn't really utilize them anymore.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've been enjoying 1.8.9 with the unstable pack and have found that, for myself, there's really not much holding me back so much as I'd like to see a few things that I miss.

I miss railcraft, because I like his decorative blocks.
I miss TE ducts and portable tanks (oh, please, gimme), because Neotech just isn't there yet. I'm tired of losing all of my fluids because I crashed or forgot to pick something up.
I miss the osmotic enchanter or the enderIO enchanter. Vanilla enchanting might be better now, but it's still terribad.

(edit: I will say, though, that getting the unstable pack running on a server was a real pain in the butt. I know it's officially unsupported, but it'd be really nice to have an official server release.)

Last edited:
Reactions: fowltief

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
No AE? That is officially the death of minecraft for me.
*cough cough* Storage Networks *cough cough*
*cough cough* Another viable option is EZ Storage and the storage thingies from from RFTools that I can't think of the name at this moment of time *cough cough*

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ez storage lacks a analog to the storage bus. Ay least I think it doesn't
It's definitely the poor mans AE.
Never heard of storage networks.

I'd like a block that gives access to storage drawers interface.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Ez storage lacks a analog to the storage bus. Ay least I think it doesn't
It's definitely the poor mans AE.
Never heard of storage networks.

I'd like a block that gives access to storage drawers interface.

Storage Networks does that :3 It's does a lot of of what AE can do, except for autocrafting, remote automation and stupid amounts of storage. However, you can set a a lot of that stuff up with other mods c: Currently in my test world, I have it passively autocrafting 64 of certain items I find myself needing a lot via Buildcraft Autocrafting table. It's slow, but it works. I haven't tested with the autocrafting mechanic in RFTools yet, but I'm sure you can get it to work.
I also have it set so that when I put ores in any of my chests, it will automatically process said ores.
For large amounts of storage, just use Alchemical Chests from Project:E or Diamond Chests.
And yes, it can see Storage Drawers. And even most tanks I've tested it, you you can keep track of liquids. It's actually really helpful for Advanced Generators because I can remotely see how much fuel is in before I have to go on a hunt for more BC oil :p
It's an awesome mod and definitely a mod that goes unnoticed by a lot of people. Hell, I scavenge CurseForge every morning, looking for neat mods to try out and I didn't even notice it till earlier today.
TL;DR: Storage Network is a good AE substitute

Reactions: fowltief

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify this storage network's a 1.8.9 mod right?
I also have been looking at the curse list via the curse Voice launcher as there seems to be a painful deficit of techy packs. There's the advantage mods but they are feature poor ATM.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Storage Network is interesting, basically a new version of the LP concept. However, it doesn't have one thing that I'd really want... polymorphic itemsink. Basically 'everything that is already in here should go in here' logic. Because trying to set it up to Storage Drawers Controller would be fun.

Just to clarify this storage network's a 1.8.9 mod right?
I also have been looking at the curse list via the curse Voice launcher as there seems to be a painful deficit of techy packs. There's the advantage mods but they are feature poor ATM.

EnderIO just hit the Forgecraft server.

Reactions: RealKC

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Storage Network is interesting, basically a new version of the LP concept. However, it doesn't have one thing that I'd really want... polymorphic itemsink. Basically 'everything that is already in here should go in here' logic. Because trying to set it up to Storage Drawers Controller would be fun.

EnderIO just hit the Forgecraft server.

Yeah that's kind of useless to me though. ExtUtils has been on ForgeCraft for a while now yet no Curse Launcher release.
Now if I had access to forgecraft 1 then that would be good.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Now that the initial port of EnderIO has hit the Forgecraft test server, it is a race to see if we will get a stable 1.8 FTB pack or a release of the Minecraft overlay for CurseVoice for the Mac first. I think we've reached the point where custom pack players can start paying attention to what is available, even if we aren't ready to make the leap.