1.8: what is holding you back?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The most common argument about not playing 1.8 that I have heard is 'because mod x isn't out yet for it'. Sometimes, it is a whole BUNCH of mods.

So... what mods are you waiting for to be released for 1.8 before you consider playing on it?

My personal list is as follows:

* Something that gives me an organized and sortable inventory from the storage drawers I already have. AE2 did this with a storage bus, but that's probably not coming out. LP might work, but it is dependent upon BC, which is just not on. Storage Drawers are already out for 1.8, but I'm wanting that can 'look' at, store into, and pull from the Controller.

Storage Network and Storage Drawers pretty much have this covered for now. Check this one off.

* CoFH Suite. Really, all of them are dead useful. Foundation is used for oregen, Thermal Dynamics is what BC pipes should have been but wasn't, and good ol' TE for a good foundational tech mod that is needed to produce higher-tier things for TD. MFR because... well... MFR.

* Enhanced Inventories. Because I'm done with Iron Chests. And fabricators. however, it is CoFH Core dependent. When you see CoFH update, you'll probably see this update.

* Inventory Tools. Because dollies that actually work, and a few other very useful bits and bobs. See previous comment about CoFH Core dependencies.

* Hunger Overhaul/Pam's Harvestcraft/Agricraft. Only one of these is even in development. Failing that... SOMETHING to make the vanilla food system less... 'baked potatoes FTW'.

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
What you said but others from the RF family like Simply Jetpacks & Geckos Lasers.

Endertech, because I am kinda done with Thaumcraft and I need my blocks swapped.

Extra Utilities. I know part 2 is coming, but I don't have access to Forgecraft.

Ender IO. I hate the cyanideX textures, but the mod is my goto for almost everything.

Reactions: RenzosNips

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
What you said but others from the RF family like Simply Jetpacks & Geckos Lasers.

Endertech, because I am kinda done with Thaumcraft and I need my blocks swapped.

Extra Utilities. I know part 2 is coming, but I don't have access to Forgecraft.

Ender IO. I hate the cyanideX textures, but the mod is my goto for almost everything.
Thaumcraft is FAR less grindy now. The overhaul to the research system is a much welcomed one!

Isn't EnderIO already out for 1.8? I know it has a new dependent Coremod.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Something like Not Enough Items. To look up all the strange new crafting and processes on.

A kitchen sink modpack. I really don't like having to come up with "creative" things to do; having a list of things right there and waiting is a big lure for me.

I've tried unstable. Its mod count is still a little low though. Its updating a few times a week throws me off too. Always updating my Server install to the newest update gets old after awhile.

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
Something like Not Enough Items. To look up all the strange new crafting and processes on.
JEI has you covered

Currently, it's the lack of big tech mods that's out there. I can count the current number of 1.8.9 tech mods currently updated on one hand. All I see is Psi, Thaumcraft, and Blood Magic getting all the popularity, while the tech mods are lagging behind.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
JEI has you covered

Currently, it's the lack of big tech mods that's out there. I can count the current number of 1.8.9 tech mods currently updated on one hand. All I see is Psi, Thaumcraft, and Blood Magic getting all the popularity, while the tech mods are lagging behind.
Immersive Engineering is on Forgecraft, but there's been some issues with multiblocks not forming. In a mod which specializes in multiblocks...

EnderIO has a 1.8 alphadev, but nowhere near releasable at this time.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much every you are waiting for Shneekey. Only other thing I "need" is Mekanism, and that's only because it's been, and remains to be, my favorite tech mod.

Reactions: RedBoss

fowltief

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone is waiting for their favorite mods to show up and be bug free and fully released. Most are still in beta stages and not everyone is excited to trying new mods Or unaware of what's out there that similar.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

fowltief

Jul 29, 2019
I seriously hope so, or something comes along that does what it used to do. Sorry, but I absolutely hate chests with a passion.
i'm guessing your not familiar with the Storage drawers mod then? its basically a cheaper alternative to AE and once you get the controllers set up it acts just like it.

and if you have AE on the same server it connects up with a special bus quite nicely..

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
i'm guessing your not familiar with the Storage drawers mod then? its basically a cheaper alternative to AE and once you get the controllers set up it acts just like it.

and if you have AE on the same server it connects up with a special bus quite nicely..
I am relatively familiar with it, and while very convenient, it doesn't allow me to manipulate (input, output, and view) contents all in one place. I can do I/O in the controller (out via piping), but I can't actually view and grab my items manually like I can in AE. I do use it, but there are times I really rather prefer not having walls and walls of drawers, no matter how compact or convenient. Also, talking about 1.8, and there is no AE, which means no storage bus. Til something comes along, either AE or a real equivalent, I can't see myself moving to 1.8. Again, I hate chests.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I am relatively familiar with it, and while very convenient, it doesn't allow me to manipulate (input, output, and view) contents all in one place. I can do I/O in the controller (out via piping), but I can't actually view and grab my items manually like I can in AE. I do use it, but there are times I really rather prefer not having walls and walls of drawers, no matter how compact or convenient. Also, talking about 1.8, and there is no AE, which means no storage bus. Til something comes along, either AE or a real equivalent, I can't see myself moving to 1.8. Again, I hate chests.

1.8 already has other solutions for storage besides chests. RFTools modular storage is one that I know pretty well :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 already has other solutions for storage besides chests. RFTools modular storage is one that I know pretty well :)
Still not nearly as convenient as AE though. Good mid game storage though.

In unstable there is a sort of poor mans AE. I forget its name, but it gives you compact storage drive like blocks with a crafting interface.
But i will state it really is a poor mans AE.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Never got around to playing with it, but if it can do better than walls of drawers or chests and has some of the neat facilities like centralized access and persistent crafting, then it'd be a strong contender, if nothing else.