1.8: what is holding you back?

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
I seriously hope so, or something comes along that does what it used to do. Sorry, but I absolutely hate chests with a passion.

Best I can tell, the last AE2 commit for 1.8.9 was all of eight days ago.

Interestingly (well, interesting to me, anyway) "Most of the 1.8 port" was committed by AlgorithymX2 himself ages ago. I'm sure there is still plenty to do on it, but it is by no means abandoned by its current custodians and will doubtless see the light of a 1.8.9 release.

--

And to keep the thread somewhat on topic, the current collection of mods are nowhere near mature enough for me to want to leap onto the 1.8 wagon just yet. But that's OK. I'm patient. Sometimes.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy mods that encourage the building of huge automated contraptions, so I'm waiting for Botania and RotaryCraft.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Centralized access is planned but not yet I'm afraid
Still, though, if its got most of it, that's better than most other solutions out there. If nothin else, it'd probably provide an interesting way to do ME storage without the ME.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Let me pose the opposite question.

1.8: why bother upgrading?

As far as I can see, about the only reason is texture-pack-able block shapes.

Reactions: RedBoss

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

As far as I can see, about the only reason is texture-pack-able block shapes.

Well I see a few more reasons:

• For players: chunk rendering is much faster (even compared to 1.7.10 with CoFHTweaks or fastcraft)
  • For developers: the Minecraft code is much cleaner in many places. The use of generics is VERY handy and blockstates are actually very nice. I personally also see many advantages for modders with the json + blockstate system. I can now do things much more easily then I could before
And of course rabbits! :)

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
Is there not, for players, some differences in threading as well? I vaguely, kinda, sorta, remember something about each dimension getting its own thread, which would certainly ease some TPS constraints, I would think. (At least, I presume it would -- I'll defer to the developers on this.)

And world-holes are, allegedly, fixed as well.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is there not, for players, some differences in threading as well? I vaguely, kinda, sorta, remember something about each dimension getting its own thread, which would certainly ease some TPS constraints, I would think. (At least, I presume it would -- I'll defer to the developers on this.)

And world-holes are, allegedly, fixed as well.
While I can't attest to this personally, as I've yet to play 1.8 as I do not touch vanilla, putting each dimension in its own thread, if that is truly what has happened, is a huge step in the right direction. While it might not be as noticeable for SSP, on servers this could increase the lifespan (and decrease the hardware needed to run) of large maps.

sivina

Jul 29, 2019
All the cofh stuff.

IIRC cofh stated that they are no interest in updating to forge 1.8.9? It this statment still vaild?

Tapatalk を使用して私の GT-N7105 から送信

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Except for Thaumcraft 5, the best reason in my mind to upgrade is the forced absence of most of the usual mods.

Of course, in ironically, the biggest culprits have been the first ported. But the new ExU and TiC mechanics are different enough that they seem to have moved past the silliness that made me really sigh with dispair when I downloaded a new 1.7.10 modpack and found them front and center yet a-bloody-gain.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, in ironically, the biggest culprits have been the first ported. But the new ExU and TiC mechanics are different enough that they seem to have moved past the silliness that made me really sigh with dispair when I downloaded a new 1.7.10 modpack and found them front and center yet a-bloody-gain.

Do you know how hard it is to make a pack without TiC after using it for so long? I was looking for a way to force players to use various tools, but without TiC, it seemed to just go stone pick, iron, then either diamond or rf pick, followed by best rf pick. Add in the fact that hammers, excavators, are amazingly useful, and really don't have any analogs. (Simply hammers is the closest, but only does hammers). At least with TiC, everyone can build what they like, and there's at least a semblance of difference between everyone's tools.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Except for Thaumcraft 5, the best reason in my mind to upgrade is the forced absence of most of the usual mods.

That's a reason for or against modpacks; it's not a reason for or against any particular version, except to the extent that different versions have different modpacks. It's also an equally valid reason to downgrade to 1.2.5, for example - Tekkit wasn't centred around either of those mods.

Reactions: RedBoss

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I started 1.8.9 modded world with only 17 mods. I would be pleased if Forestry,Growthcraft,ExUtils,Immersive Engineering get updated now,
but sadly its only a dream,who knows how long it will take them to transfer to 1.8... :(

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I started 1.8.9 modded world with only 17 mods. I would be pleased if Forestry,Growthcraft,ExUtils,Immersive Engineering get updated now,
but sadly its only a dream,who knows how long it will take them to transfer to 1.8... :(

ExtraUtilities and Immersive Engineering are already ported to 1.8. I'm using them on the ForgeCraft server (1.8.9). However they are not publicly available right now.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
If they're not publicly available, then they effectively don't exist for people without access to them.

Yes, but Vasa was asking how long it will take them to transfer to 1.8. Not very long since they have already done it/are busy doing it.

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
  • For developers: the Minecraft code is much cleaner in many places. The use of generics is VERY handy and blockstates are actually very nice. I personally also see many advantages for modders with the json + blockstate system. I can now do things much more easily then I could before

You are the first person I've seen who sees that as a good thing. Everyone else was talking about how many separate files/how large mods would get because of this change. Is this a 'solved' issue now?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
You are the first person I've seen who sees that as a good thing. Everyone else was talking about how many separate files/how large mods would get because of this change. Is this a 'solved' issue now?

Yes that's solved by forge extensions to the json format. In fact, many things got easier/smaller now in 1.8. Forge did a great job extending the json format that was added by vanilla.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
EZ Storage has a decent storage system if you're looking for a good AE substitute. For large amounts of power, you can use Deep Resonance. Really the only thing holding me back is a world gen mod I'm working on. Buuuutt stopped temporary since forge 1.9 is right around the corner, and I'll be continuing working on the mod for 1.9. The only thing stopping me from working on it is laziness, or school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk