Would you rather play a 1.8.9 modpack or a 1.7.10 modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
Since I still play 1.6.4.. still waiting on GT to update more.. I know.. i know.. so.. can't say I am all that exited about 1.8.9 ^^ I just can't bring myself to play a modpack without my beloved GT machines, they are just ingrained into my very being by now.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is Psi uses a graphical coding interface. While it takes a bit more effort then pulling from pastebin it will be simple to copy from an image.
All they need to know is what level CAD you need for the spell to work.
Then again you still need to get through the tutorials to get the tricks you need. That MIGHT be enough of a barrier.

I actually wonder if you can make a vector calculate a vector and ray trace from what a vector hits to make a ricochet spell. Some one mentioned in another thread that they wanted to see such a spell. Or a chain lighting spell.

Edit; Also has anyone noticed lag whenever a fluid runs down? I spawned near a slime island that had a hole in it's slime pool and my game grounded to a halt until the stream stopped. Also I was mining and uncovered some water that went down a ravine, same lag.
Everything else is fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
See those buttons in the bottom right of the programmer? Yea those let you copy a json code for the spell in the programmer to your computer's clipboard. From there you can paste it into another programmer, but you can also stick it on pastebin etc for others to get and use. Though yes, leveling is still required.
Chain lightning is technically feasible, but it would probably play out more like an AOE, as all the targets would be affected at once. Honestly the biggest issue is the lack of a basic damage trick.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Since I still play 1.6.4.. still waiting on GT to update more.. I know.. i know.. so.. can't say I am all that exited about 1.8.9 ^^ I just can't bring myself to play a modpack without my beloved GT machines, they are just ingrained into my very being by now.

have a look into the 3rd Party forum especialy Infitech2 :) Your welcome.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
See those buttons in the bottom right of the programmer? Yea those let you copy a json code for the spell in the programmer to your computer's clipboard. From there you can paste it into another programmer, but you can also stick it on pastebin etc for others to get and use. Though yes, leveling is still required.
Chain lightning is technically feasible, but it would probably play out more like an AOE, as all the targets would be affected at once. Honestly the biggest issue is the lack of a basic damage trick.
Im not sure if you can do it but maybe have spell loop with a ray trace that finds a nearby enemy in an area. Then make it ray trace based on the two entity positions again to the nearest target then again and again.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Im not sure if you can do it but maybe have spell loop with a ray trace that finds a nearby enemy in an area. Then make it ray trace based on the two entity positions again to the nearest target then again and again.

Ray trace would probably be too limited as you'd probably be using either the look vector or a specifically defined one. It'd be much easier to just use an area centred on the first target to find the next target and then feed that into another trick.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you draw vectors based on two of the entity positions? Like you'd have your ray cast that hits the target which would do initial damage, then it would remember the entity position of that first target and find the nearest entity, log it's position and draw another ray that hits the next target to then do the same possibly bouncing back to the original target. You could have a 1 damage spell be guaranteed death if there's multiple mobs around.

I really wonder how powerful this spell engine can get.
I kinda feel like trying to replicate League of legends champ spells with PSI. At least I would if I could figure out how use this programming interface.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you draw vectors based on two of the entity positions? Like you'd have your ray cast that hits the target which would do initial damage, then it would remember the entity position of that first target and find the nearest entity, log it's position and draw another ray that hits the next target to then do the same possibly bouncing back to the original target. You could have a 1 damage spell be guaranteed death if there's multiple mobs around.

I really wonder how powerful this spell engine can get.
I kinda feel like trying to replicate League of legends champ spells with PSI. At least I would if I could figure out how use this programming interface.

Not really. Raycasts in psi are used to project along a vector and find the position it collides with. To actually find another target, you would, as I said, be using a nearby living or nearby enemies tile with closest to point, based on the previous targets position to find the closest target to the previous target. No rays involved. And also, there is no way to directly deal simple damage in psi. Offensive options boil down to smiting, withering, igniting, exploding or throwing them in the air for fall damage

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
have a look into the 3rd Party forum especialy Infitech2 :) Your welcome.

I wasn't hooked on the premise of infitech with the whole galaxy thingy.. but ill take a looksie.

and yeah gregtech unofficial is something i should do :) thanks for reminding me RealKC

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not meaning to backseat Moderator, but the PSI theory is deserving of its own thread rather than being buried here. Not that I don't enjoy the discussion, but it would be better served in a place where others can find it easily.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm not going to 1.8 until I get some way to see my items from a single source. I don't care if I have to have a Storage Drawers bank to store them (which is updated to 1.8, and one of the reasons I might possibly contemplate it at this point), but I want something to organize my storage that is *NOT* BC-dependent (Logistic Pipes...). Also, I'm wanting CoFH Suite updated before I go over. Thermal Dynamics is what BC pipes could have been... but wasn't. Thermal Foundation is what I use for oregen for my packs. Thermal Expansion has everything I need for a tech mod, although it's actually not going to be my primary to-go tech mod. Once Immersive Engineering (I refuse to call it IE, that would be an insult) stabilizes, I will likely use it heavily. Right now, though... still unstable.

Much as I'd like to see the new version of Applied Energistics... it is very doubtful that we will ever see its like again.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I'm not going to 1.8 until I get some way to see my items from a single source. I don't care if I have to have a Storage Drawers bank to store them (which is updated to 1.8, and one of the reasons I might possibly contemplate it at this point), but I want something to organize my storage that is *NOT* BC-dependent (Logistic Pipes...). Also, I'm wanting CoFH Suite updated before I go over. Thermal Dynamics is what BC pipes could have been... but wasn't. Thermal Foundation is what I use for oregen for my packs. Thermal Expansion has everything I need for a tech mod, although it's actually not going to be my primary to-go tech mod. Once Immersive Engineering (I refuse to call it IE, that would be an insult) stabilizes, I will likely use it heavily. Right now, though... still unstable.

Much as I'd like to see the new version of Applied Energistics... it is very doubtful that we will ever see its like again.
I think Ez-storage was an ae2 like mod (only for storage), and substratum is a great substitute for oregen.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I personally also see 1.8.9 as a chance to play differently. I don't necessarily want to see all the same mods from 1.7.10. Then it just becomes a slightly different version of the same game again. To me it is much more fun if things work differently and it is all fresh again.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I personally also see 1.8.9 as a chance to play differently. I don't necessarily want to see all the same mods from 1.7.10. Then it just becomes a slightly different version of the same game again. To me it is much more fun if things work differently and it is all fresh again.
That's all well and good, but there's some content that people have come to...while not necessarily rely on, but more come to expect to have access to, like me and AE. I loathe chests for all but the most basic of storage tasks, or handling items that don't stack and that I don't need in large quantities, like division sigils or old tools. Storage Drawers are wonderful, but AE is a force unto itself, a storage solution (at minimum) that really has, to my knowledge, no parallel. With the proper setup, you can store millions of items, containing a titanic chest room in the space of a few blocks. It frees up space for things like machinery, enabling you to more conveniently explore the content of other mods.

A different example, a more personal one, is Reika's suite of mods. RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, ElectriCraft, and ChromatiCraft have come to be fixtures in my packs, something I always have to look forward to playing with. Few things are as satisfying as using your first batch of HSLA steel to make automated (if slow) ore tripling via a grinder and friction heater'd furnace. I love making ChromatiCraft glows, giving me lights that don't look like crap, or creating tile accelerators to make things run at ludicrous speeds.

While I certainly welcome new, different content, it shouldn't have to come at the cost of the things I've grown to enjoy. Why not have both?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
That's all well and good, but there's some content that people have come to...while not necessarily rely on, but more come to expect to have access to, like me and AE. I loathe chests for all but the most basic of storage tasks, or handling items that don't stack and that I don't need in large quantities, like division sigils or old tools. Storage Drawers are wonderful, but AE is a force unto itself, a storage solution (at minimum) that really has, to my knowledge, no parallel. With the proper setup, you can store millions of items, containing a titanic chest room in the space of a few blocks. It frees up space for things like machinery, enabling you to more conveniently explore the content of other mods.

A different example, a more personal one, is Reika's suite of mods. RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, ElectriCraft, and ChromatiCraft have come to be fixtures in my packs, something I always have to look forward to playing with. Few things are as satisfying as using your first batch of HSLA steel to make automated (if slow) ore tripling via a grinder and friction heater'd furnace. I love making ChromatiCraft glows, giving me lights that don't look like crap, or creating tile accelerators to make things run at ludicrous speeds.

While I certainly welcome new, different content, it shouldn't have to come at the cost of the things I've grown to enjoy. Why not have both?

I certainly would also like to see all those mods. But personally I find that not having a lot of mods that I'm used to forces me to rethink how I play and sometimes that brings me to surprising things. And I think that's a good thing.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I certainly would also like to see all those mods. But personally I find that not having a lot of mods that I'm used to forces me to rethink how I play and sometimes that brings me to surprising things. And I think that's a good thing.
I'll cop to that, I just like having some of the old guard around so I can work from a familiar base whilst exploring new things.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
The ecosystem of mods changes every version, there's no need to force it. A lot of people have no interest in updating to 1.8, and the few new mods just aren't worth it for those like me.
However, unless the 1.9 update gets as much resistance as the 1.8 update, 1.8.9 is going to be short lived. Which, honestly will be nice, considering the number of developers saying they are holding off for 1.9.