Would you rather play a 1.8.9 modpack or a 1.7.10 modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Unless i am mistaken ChiselNBits leverages the new tile entity rendering mechanics which seem very smooth. But it might still be wise to not over do them. But now we can have ornate walls in houses that aren't 1-2 meters thick and have the exterior be brick and the insides something else.
You do have to learn how to work around doors though.
It can be finniky though but if you are smart you can build yourself 3-5 patterns that you copy with patterns can make it way less finniky.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
At this moment there are at least three major new mods in 1.8.9. And with major I mean mods that are likely to come up in most modpacks and will have a profound effect on the modding community:

• Chisel & Bits
  • Intangible
  • Psi
I have no doubt more mods will soon follow
No, No, and LOLright...

Chisel N Bits has one of the kludgiest interfaces I've seen. There's a reason it is only really used on the small-scale. The biggest thing I've ever seen done with it is a bridge. It would take you so long to do the micro-crafting for any decently sized project that we will all have died of old age before you get done.

Intangible. I saw the DW20 spotlight. Actively dislike. Would never subject myself to this piece of crap.

Psi. First, it would have to have some useful function. Then it would need to become stable. The ability to 'shoot spells' is silly to begin with, the mechanics implemented are facepalm-worthy, and I'd prefer to have a mod that can do something other than print out the coordinates of the target. Thanks.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Could you elaborate a little?
I saw the spotlight as well and thought some of the mechanics looked kinda interesting :)
A lot of it does look like a chore. People bitch and moan about TC research I can see the glassware mechanic wearing very bloody thin. And the spells look kinda mehh.

Also chiselnbits does have quite a cludgy interface. It will not supplant regular building. However you can make pretty large scale builds with it if you are smart with the parts and copy paste most of it. Still a lot of dicking around will only be used by the most dedicated builders.

Psi looks kinda dumb to me, can't elaborate more then that really.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I can speculate the glassware stuff potentially getting annoying- however there is only 8 souls (minimal iterations compared to Thaum), and the timeframe is fairly spread out which [in theory] cuts down on how repetitive it could feel.
Looking at the other mechanics, a lot of them seem automatable- but would require a fair amount of creativity and design to successfully pull off.
(this was the side of it I found rather interesting; designing a system to supply the different soul types- will hopefully find some time this weekend).

With CnB, the interface does look kinda cludgy. I agree it won't surpass regular building; but neither did FMP [or equivalent]- placing whole blocks en-masse is just way easier. Doubly so with builder's wands and the like.
If there was a way to cycle through a bunch of pre-determined shapes [panels, columns, fences ect] it'll make decor a little more accessible.
(if there were a way for players to share designs then better still).

Not going to comment on Psi until I have time to really play it.
okok, small lie- I will say, regardless of how well or poorly it does, well done to Vazkii for going out there and having the guts to bring in something rather different :)

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I actually like about Intangible is the deity system. I don't think it's worth installing just for that however. And you can't name them, because apparently people might make the names childish or inappropriate, but come on. In a game that you can build giant anatomical replicas of "inappropriate" body parts, it just seems unnecessary.
I've always thought about making a mod based around it, but then I remember that I only do small server side mods for my friends because I can't texture to save a life...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The way I see it, the more new mods the merrier. Nobody is having a gun held to their head being forced to play them :D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Could you elaborate a little?
I saw the spotlight as well and thought some of the mechanics looked kinda interesting :)
Any time I have to struggle just to watch the spotlight... well, that's kind of a red flag here. Every mechanic I saw was something I want no part of. The soul pylons, for example, just smacks to me as the absolute worst way to go about guiding the 'souls' around. Nearly any other method would be preferable.

I was so bored with the spotlight that I didn't bother to finish it. That's how underwhelming it was to me. If I can't be arsed to finish the spotlight, there's no way I'm installing it.

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing on the author. It is an elegantly designed piece of work from a coding perspective. The sheer amount of content in the mod is staggering, and I respect the sheer number of hundreds of hours he must have spent putting it together. It's just... every single mechanic I saw is exactly how I, personally, don't like doing things. You couldn't have made a mod more inclined to chase me off if you had actively tried to. But even so, that is a matter of personal preference.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Saw part of the spotlight (have a meeting in a few minutes) and all I really have to say is, looks like someone jacked the research mechanic from ChromatiCraft and made it intensely irritating with that fucking noise when you discover things. If/when I move to 1.8, I hope to hell that, if a pack I use has that mod in it, that there's a way to turn that damn sound off, or I'm disabling the entire bloody thing. I absolutely loathe obnoxious bullcrap like that.

[ETA]

Saw the soul infusion mechanic. Its basically the ritual altar from ChC. So, what this is looking like, to me, is a mixture of Ars Magica, Blood Magic, and ChromatiCraft mixed with RNG reliance, a lame crafting gimmick, and incredible amounts of tedium.

Sad part is, the basic idea sounds cool as hell: ripping the souls from mobs to power your unholy magical abilities. Its just hidden behind far too much tedium, for my tastes. I think I'll wait for ChromatiCraft to get to 1.8 for my crazy magic fix. At least the only irritating thing there is the crystal shard boosting, which becomes largely moot once you get a lumen tree.

5/10, great idea, boring execution.

Last edited:

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Intangible does look boring to me but doesnt mean it deserves to be ran thru the mud.Also IMO CnB looks like an awesome mod, sure it wont take place of large scale building but i dont believe that was the intent either, just like micro blocks isnt something you focus on with a large build. Its ment to put detail into a build which i will take full advantage of.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
CnB is a system friendly microblock mod to me. Which is fine. I really don't see the motivation to design large builds with it. But I can see it as the detail mod of my aesthetic dreams. For all those times where stairs meet at a corner and I don't want that bulky corner stair, this mod is amazing. But large builds using it seems like the gamer way of using immortality. Unless a solution presents itself for multiple placement.

Psi looks cool, but its not for me. I'm a fan of Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei, but I zoned out on the techno babble in the show and manga. But the mod looks well done. I may use it just to see the Silverhorn in game. If there are destruction spells, I'd likely only use those.

Intangible. I watched two episodes of the spotlight while flying last week. What the heck does it do? When I see a new mod, I want to know what it offers outside of progression through its own content. Is there armor, tools, new mobs, cool flight or combat? I couldn't bear through it. Maybe it's just the DW spotlight style that turned me off. I don't want to see someone breeze through a mod. I want to be "sold" on why the mod deserves attention. Then you prove your premise through demonstration. But I rarely see anyone do that in a spotlight. As for now, I can't see even having it in a pack that I'd run.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno about anyone else, but I'm not "dragging [Intangible] thru the mud." I'm criticizing it, quite the difference. If I were dragging it thru the mud, I'd call it shit and discourage people from playing it. As it is, I'm just saying it looks like it copies a lot of concepts from other mods and puts them into a package that I, personally, find boring and obnoxious.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Is there armor, tools, new mobs, cool flight or combat?
All of that gets mentioned in parts 3 and 4 :p
I certainly agree with the spotlight style- its more like full mod tutorial. I normally tab out for most of it and drop in when interesting sounds happen.

--Edit-- had some more time to stew things over; I feel there is a certain lack of consistency between 'soul moving' mechanics.
Theres a lot of fancy glassware that work together (extraction).
Then you see the ghost entity wondering around.
Using the souls [out of the well] shows as a particle effect.

The glassware has some rather fancy models, and overall looks rather cool when connected up- got this real 'Frankenstein's Laboratory' feel to it.
And then you don't really use them for anything else; surely this equipment designed for the precise distillation, manipulation, and refinement of souls would be kinda useful for working with other soul based mechanics?​

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
For me, it'll be 1.8.9. I recently started playing with Thaumcraft 5, Chisels and Bits and Intangible.. and now I can't imagine not playing with those mods o,o (Although I do wish the microcrafting in Intangible would be toned down a LOT)

And yeah.. very little performance drops with Chisels and Bits. I'm really surprised! First I only used it for the odd statue or miniature tree.. then I ended up making my road out of it (Andesite makes for a nice road when it's 15 voxels high) .. and now all my fences use the power of Chisels and Bits. No noticable performance impact. (The only noticable performance loss was when I installed Intangible ;_; But I love that mod too much...)

Coco12570

Jul 29, 2019
Intangible is one of my favorite magic mods lol. Sure, the beginning is kind of tedious but once you put your soul into a golem and go kill a wither with swarms of magic it pretty much makes all of the tedium worth it.

Also, thanks for all the input on the thread. I'll be sure to take all into account during pack creation.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Id like to retract my statement regarding Psi being dumb. However I will say it's going to be a nightmare to keep balanced. I can see some clever mothertrucker creating spells that wtf pwn everything.
Essentially it's like Morrowinds spell crafting but with programming.
It's going to be as broken as ComputerCraft is for utility.

Edit; also the Thaumcraft 5 grapple focus is like the best thing ever. Wish OpenBlocks was updated to 1.8.9 because id love to slingshot myself in to the air and quickly switch to the hang glider for some massive air.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is Psi uses a graphical coding interface. While it takes a bit more effort then pulling from pastebin it will be simple to copy from an image.
All they need to know is what level CAD you need for the spell to work.
Then again you still need to get through the tutorials to get the tricks you need. That MIGHT be enough of a barrier.

I actually wonder if you can make a vector calculate a vector and ray trace from what a vector hits to make a ricochet spell. Some one mentioned in another thread that they wanted to see such a spell. Or a chain lighting spell.

Edit; Also has anyone noticed lag whenever a fluid runs down? I spawned near a slime island that had a hole in it's slime pool and my game grounded to a halt until the stream stopped. Also I was mining and uncovered some water that went down a ravine, same lag.
Everything else is fine.

Last edited: