Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Sir @Padfoote: Are you still able to edit the OP here?

I am learning blood magic for the first time. I got instantly stuck because the Sacrificial Knife is replaced (by default) with a Sacrificial Orb, which I didn't realize performs the same function.

Since this is actually one of the first things that appear in google it might be worth adding an edit-notice if possible.

Reactions: null123

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Sir @Padfoote: Are you still able to edit the OP here?

I am learning blood magic for the first time. I got instantly stuck because the Sacrificial Knife is replaced (by default) with a Sacrificial Orb, which I didn't realize performs the same function.

Since this is actually one of the first things that appear in google it might be worth adding an edit-notice if possible.

Wuss mode, woo!

Yeah I'll edit it when I get to a computer. Thanks for the heads up that that setting is active.

Reactions: null123 and Pyure

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Fought with it enough to get it to accept that my post wasn't over 30k characters. The only issue is that it's referenced as a knife throughout, but I simply do not have the characters left to modify everything to cover that it's either a knife or orb.
You could ask RedBoss if you could edit his comment to add that to the guide, and put his original comment at the end of it.

Reactions: RedBoss

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Now, on and off I've been thinking.

Resistance 2 is nothing to sneeze at, but a block of bedrock is a hard thing. A block of bedrock with a space under it and an easy way to get there and back is even harder.

In vanilla minecraft, you have the roof of the nether, and the blocks under the ender crystals.
Twilight Forest, the roof of the underground labernyth's lower level is also bedrock.

Anybody else think of anywhere some would be available for use?

Skyblocks used to have a block of bedrock, back in the old days, but this has left the design specification of late, so that's out.
If you're not running some FlatBedrock-type mod, there's plenty of bedrock with stone beneath it on Y=5 in the Overworld. Granted, that does mean you'd have to descend to the bottom of the world every time you want your resistance buff, but Teleposers provide a near-instantaneous way to do exactly that from anywhere in the Overworld.

subzero22

Jul 29, 2019
Now, on and off I've been thinking.

Resistance 2 is nothing to sneeze at, but a block of bedrock is a hard thing. A block of bedrock with a space under it and an easy way to get there and back is even harder.

In vanilla minecraft, you have the roof of the nether, and the blocks under the ender crystals.
Twilight Forest, the roof of the underground labernyth's lower level is also bedrock.

Anybody else think of anywhere some would be available for use?

Skyblocks used to have a block of bedrock, back in the old days, but this has left the design specification of late, so that's out.

There's also a ritual to move land into the air. It will also move bedrock into the air along with the land and leave a big hole into the void at bedrock lvl in the overworld. Allthough if you wanted bedrock that would probebly be the last thing you wanted to do as it takes forever to just sit there and wait for it to move it all.

There's also the deep dark and even the bedrock realm if you got the two mods for it. Infact with thaumcraft if you got the bedrock realm you can put silk touch on your awakened pick and get bedrock super fast.

Im wondering why you need bedrock anyway?

Quick question if anyone knows. The Aura of Expulsion ritual I put the regeants into the stone and I made sure I had 20 xp lvls yet for some reason when I activated the ritual it didn't take my xp or the regeants to expand it to 101 blocks or the teleportation distance. Does anyone know how to do this or to get it to work?

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing some BM in Regrowth, and I'm having problems with summoning the elementals. I put down the Arcane Plinth with a Magicians Blood Orb (which is the highest tier that I have right now) and I have about 140k LP in my network. I put Aquasalus on the six Pedestals (I got the pattern from here), but nothing happened.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is it just as simple as I need to have 12 pedestals and only put something on the inner 6.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm doing some BM in Regrowth, and I'm having problems with summoning the elementals. I put down the Arcane Plinth with a Magicians Blood Orb (which is the highest tier that I have right now) and I have about 140k LP in my network. I put Aquasalus on the six Pedestals (I got the pattern from here), but nothing happened.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is it just as simple as I need to have 12 pedestals and only put something on the inner 6.
Try putting your blood orb onto the plinth last. It might only check if you've got a valid recipe when you put an orb on the plinth, not when you put a reagent on one of the pedestals.

Reactions: Padfoote

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Try putting your blood orb onto the plinth last. It might only check if you've got a valid recipe when you put an orb on the plinth, not when you put a reagent on one of the pedestals.

Pretty sure that I tried that. I also tried putting down 6 more pedestals in the correct pattern, and still nothing. I've only tried with a water elemental and as it's regrowth, it's in a wasteland. Could that have an impact?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Pretty sure that I tried that. I also tried putting down 6 more pedestals in the correct pattern, and still nothing. I've only tried with a water elemental and as it's regrowth, it's in a wasteland. Could that have an impact?
It might, I suppose. I don't know if any of the elementals are biome-restricted, but I could believe it if it was the case. Try finding an ocean biome (pretty sure those exist in Regrowth) or a different type of elemental (air or earth should definitely work in a wasteland biome). And make sure you've got the pedestals in the right places relative to the plinth (check the wikis for that), and if it still doesn't work, take your orb off the plinth and put it back in. Or just try that first, since you've already got everything set up.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll check that I'm using the correct orb too. I should probably just junk/trash/void anything but the highest tier orb that I can obtain to ensure that I'm using the right one. I found a reference in one wiki that I have to use the orb that I make from the Weak Blood Shard, but it states that that allows the network to hold 1 million LP, but it maxes out at 150k.

fedprod

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure you placed your plinths in the correct alignment? They are very specific in that regard. see http://ftbwiki.org/Summoning

Salaru

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know the ingame command to open the config overlay to disable the soul fray icon from being right in your face instead of just in the inventory menu while you play? So sick of seeing it right beside the damned cursor in the middle of my screen.

Nevermind. Just remembered. it's an Ars magica 2 feature. /amuicfg

Last edited: