[1.7.10]Hubris V1.6.1- HQM - 270+ Quests [Magic][Dungeons][Dimensions][Exploration] Ex-Listed!

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. Interesting notion. Does involve having taint in my lab, briefly, but that can be cleaned up in a jiff once it energizes.

Food for thought, should I ever need a larger energized node than the one I have now.
To be honest, I'm starting to move away from trying to create a single Energized Node for my base, to instead creating multiple Energized Nodes where I need them. Big Aura Nodes with 100+ of a single Primal Aspect are fairly common, and it's not too hard to find a Bright one. I have a pure Ignis Energized Node fuelling my Infernal Furnace and Infernal Blast Furnace, a pure Aer Energized Node for my Thaumostatic Spire, etc.

As for the blood moon Aurum, that's a cool idea, but now much dark etherium do you ever actually -need-? :) It feels like overkill.

Stylish, hilarious overkill. :)
I use the Arcane Deconstructor a lot, and absolutely love the Otherworldly Aura---both of which gobble up lots of Dark Etherium. But yeah, I have a lot of extra ;)

Ah, that reminds me!

Is there really a reason to go to the Twilight Forest? Seeing as how it's peopled by packs of insane Infernal Death Dogs and has no ore generation?
There are lots of reasons to go to the Twilight Forest:
  • Aura Nodes: They're just as common in the Twilight Forest as they are in the Overworld, and none of them are Tainted.
  • Botania's Mystical Flowers: They're everywhere---bring a Horn of the Wild and a Flower Bag and you're set pretty much permanently. (There's also plenty of grass for all manner of other seeds.)
  • Mining: Only vanilla ore generation has been disabled in the Twilight Forest. You can still find Thaumcraft and Ars Magica ores, so the Twilight Forest is a great source of crystal shards, Vinteum Ore, etc. But there are plenty of opportunities to get vanilla ore, too:
    • Hollow Hills: Only natural vanilla ore generation has been disabled in the Twilight Forest. Point an Arcane Bore at a Hollow Hill, and harvest all those ore-riddled stalactites.
    • Treasure Bags: Yes, those Infernal Wolves are absolutely infuriating... but they're also a nearly endless supply of Rare Treasure Bags, which are an excellent source of Diamonds, Gold, Emeralds and (especially) Ender Pearls.
      • And let's not forget you can get Nether Stars (!) and Primordial Pearls (!!!) from Rare Treasure Bags. Sure, the drop chance is incredibly low, but I've gotten one of each so far. (The Primordial Pearl was especially ridiculous.)
  • Passive Animals: Transformation Powder is extremely common Twilight Forest loot, and it allows you to transform the (also extremely common) Deer into vanilla Cows, Hogs into vanilla Pigs, and Rams into vanilla Sheep. This is the only way I was able to get a breeding pair of Cows after my existing farm animals had maxed out the passive mob cap in the Overworld (which stopped vanilla mobs from spawning).
    • Early on, Twilight Forest is also the easiest place to get Wool, Leather and meat---just by running around and killing the animals.
  • Thaumcraft Research: Along with the Aura Nodes, most Twilight Forest items, blocks and entities have Thaumcraft aspects---scanning them gives you lots of research points (though, again, anyone who's hurting for research points in Hubris isn't scanning enough Aura Nodes).
  • Twilight Forest Loot: There's plenty of Twilight Forest loot that can be worth raiding a Lich Tower, Hollow Hill or Leaf Dungeon (fly to the canopies of those huge Twilight Oaks, and listen for the hissing of Spiders---they're guarding a Chest or two of loot). I've already mentioned Transformation Powder, but there are a few other very useful items:
    • Uncrafting Table --- spend experience to "uncraft" any item that has a crafting recipe, getting back the components (it can be very profitable to uncraft dungeon loot, as they sometimes contain very valuable ingredients)
    • Mining Tree Sapling --- plant it, grow it, and it'll start materializing blocks of ore all around it---basically a free Orechid; you don't even have to give it Stone
    • Tree of Transformation Sapling --- another magical tree, this one will change the surrounding biome to Twilight Forest
    • Ore Magnet --- this item works like a Bow: draw it, then let go, and a random block of ore appears at your feet. Each use costs durability, but that's why we have Arcane Reconstructors. It's definitely overshadowed by better methods later in the game, but this item is very common (even the smallest Hollow Hills are likely to have at least one in a Chest) so it's quite useful early on
  • Cool Decorative Blocks: Fireflies are the perfect natural lighting for a thematic Witchery setup, while the Smokers and Flame Jets from the Fire Swamp are awesome for jazzing up your base with some "special effects" (just use Silk Touch to pluck them out of the ground).
  • Really Fun Dungeons: Twilight Forest is the oldest "adventure" mod, and it's been in continuous development from the beginning. It shows: the dungeons are fantastic. (The Ur-Ghast's tower is my favourite, but they all offer unique challenges---especially if you approach them "as intended," which means---in particular---no flying.)
Lastly, regarding those damn dogs, I've found a few tricks: the Nine Hells Focus from Thaumcraft lets you hit them without triggering their special debuffs, since it's technically the bats from the focus that are doing the damage. The Portable Hole Focus is even more effective---just drop them down a hole and listen to them suffocate (though you won't get their loot).

Last edited:

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Just to add to this, I did go to the Twilight Forest this evening. Had a nice peaceful spawn in a big flat area. Right next to a hollow hill. Raided it. MUCH easier when you can fly to do that.

4 stacks of iron. 2 stacks of gold. Couple of redstone.

So much STUFF.

Most of it I don't know what it does! Didn't get any of the things you listed, but I got a peacock feather fan, and a couple of 'trees of time' or something.

Yes, this was a good call. Thanks for the tip! Now, TO THE WIKI.

Carnivourne

Jul 29, 2019
How did you make the aura nodes spawn more often? Is there a config somewhere? Also, how did you buff runic shielding? Both of these would be great for my other single player adventures.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
How did you make the aura nodes spawn more often? Is there a config somewhere? Also, how did you buff runic shielding? Both of these would be great for my other single player adventures.
Yeah, both are in the minecraft/config/Thaumcraft.cfg file. (And, while I'm here, I must emphasize the importance of reviewing the config files for the mods you use in any custom-built pack---it's not only helpful to customize the game to your liking, it can also help you narrow down the causes of crashes, or find tools mod authors have provided to help fix them. Just a general good idea to know the config files well.)

re: Runic Shielding: I don't know if this is intended behaviour or if I'm missing something, but even with the buffs in Hubris' config (which only affect recharge time and Vis cost, not defensive strength), I find Runic Shielding to be almost entirely useless. Your armor rating, armor enchantments and other protection effects don't seem to apply to Runic Shielding, so it's basically like extra hearts of health that you wear "outside" of your armor. Unfortunately, without the damage reduction provided by your actual armor, your Runic Shielding may as well be made of paper.

Right now, my Runic Shielding is regularly one-shot by incoming damage---but once those shields are down, that very same damage is completely negated by my Battlemage Circlet/Leggings + Earth Armor + Boots of the Meteor. Yeah, I know you can (theoretically) buff Runic Shielding quite high, but when its actual defensive potential is so terrible, I simply don't see how it competes with the functional immunity of a midgame (!) armor set. So I definitely find the claim that "Thaumcraft provides the best protection" to be unlikely---Ars Magica 2 wins that contest, hands down.

As a result, I've dropped Runic Shielding entirely---there are much better things to fill those Baubles slots as early as the midgame (where I am now): Talisman of Remedium (regularly repaired via Arcane Reconstructor) and Tectonic Girdle (knockback immunity) are especially fantastic, as is the Ring of Far Reach (a Ring of Magnetism fills out my last slot).

Carnivourne

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, both are in the minecraft/config/Thaumcraft.cfg file. (And, while I'm here, I must emphasize the importance of reviewing the config files for the mods you use in any custom-built pack---it's not only helpful to customize the game to your liking, it can also help you narrow down the causes of crashes, or find tools mod authors have provided to help fix them. Just a general good idea to know the config files well.)

re: Runic Shielding: I don't know if this is intended behaviour or if I'm missing something, but even with the buffs in Hubris' config (which only affect recharge time and Vis cost, not defensive strength), I find Runic Shielding to be almost entirely useless. Your armor rating, armor enchantments and other protection effects don't seem to apply to Runic Shielding, so it's basically like extra hearts of health that you wear "outside" of your armor. Unfortunately, without the damage reduction provided by your actual armor, your Runic Shielding may as well be made of paper.

Right now, my Runic Shielding is regularly one-shot by incoming damage---but once those shields are down, that very same damage is completely negated by my Battlemage Circlet/Leggings + Earth Armor + Boots of the Meteor. Yeah, I know you can (theoretically) buff Runic Shielding quite high, but when its actual defensive potential is so terrible, I simply don't see how it competes with the functional immunity of a midgame (!) armor set. So I definitely find the claim that "Thaumcraft provides the best protection" to be unlikely---Ars Magica 2 wins that contest, hands down.

As a result, I've dropped Runic Shielding entirely---there are much better things to fill those Baubles slots as early as the midgame (where I am now): Talisman of Remedium (regularly repaired via Arcane Reconstructor) and Tectonic Girdle (knockback immunity) are especially fantastic, as is the Ring of Far Reach (a Ring of Magnetism fills out my last slot).

Thank you both so much. The lack of nodes nearby was always my biggest turnoff of Thaumcraft. I hated running so far to find one node. Now my wand will always be full! And with the runic shielding, I am currently using a pack of just Thaumcraft, Thaumcraft addons, and minor tweeks like maps and Waila, so I wanted my Runic Shielding to be better. Thanks a ton!

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
What Tips/Tricks Do You Think Most People Don't Know?

I've been playing through Hubris very slowly---sometimes a week will go by without opening the Quest Book---just because there are so many things to explore in all the various mods... I haven't even touched Witchery, Blood Magic or that Thaumcraft add-on that lets you clone animals. I've learned a few things, and am looking forward to finding out what tricks you've learned too!
  • Thaumic Infusion & Iter Essentia--- With the Infusion Wand Focus (requires a Warding Focus, which requires a Nether Star), you can infuse liquified essentia into blocks, giving them various effects. For example, infusing a block with Lux will make it emit light. Iter, however, is the most useful: Infuse two different blocks with Iter, remove the Infusion Focus from your wand, right-click one of the blocks, and then right-click the second. Now, kind of like an OpenBlocks' Elevator, you can teleport between them by pressing Shift while standing on top---the teleportation is free, has unlimited range, and is easily the best "around your base" transportation method.
    • NOTE: If you can, I highly recommend updating to the most recent version of Thaumic Infusion. I'm sure the next version of Hubris will include the update, but there have been a ton of improvements and you'll lose all your infusions if you update down the road.
  • Automagy: WORTH IT --- Whoever said Applied Energistics wasn't part of this pack didn't dig deeply enough into the Automagy tab in the Thaumonomicon. The Inventorium and its Unseen Scribes can link every inventory in your base into a centralized database. Add a couple Golems and some Magic Mirrors, and you can order any item from any inventory and have it dropped in your lap. And that's just the tip of the iceberg: Automagy should have its own quest chapter in the quest book, it's that awesome.
  • Arcane Deconstructor & Otherworldly Aura --- Ars Magica 2 spell creation can get very tedious in the late game, with tons of spell components to assemble and throw into the Crafting Altar. And what if you want to experiment with spells, or make a mistake? That's a lot of wasted work... unless you have an Arcane Deconstructor and an Otherworldly Aura. The first can be used to break down any spell into its parts, placing them in a nearby chest (you only lose the Blank Rune and the Spell Parchment). And the Otherworldly Aura? Whenever you throw a Blank Rune into a Crafting Altar to start creating a spell, the Otherworldly Aura will summon a shadow clone of yourself to run around, fetching the necessary ingredients out of any inventory in an 8-block radius---including Storage Drawers, Barrels, and whatever Chest your Arcane Deconstructor is dumping into---and throw them into the Crafting Altar, automating the spell creation process. You just need to make sure nearby chests contain the right ingredients (the little guy will even flick the lever when a recipe calls for Etherium).
  • Hourglass Ritual --- Chuck a (usually cheap) reagent into the center of the chalk pattern, and cast the associated Ars Magica 2 spell: You'll gain 3 extra minutes of duration, plus another 3 for each Buff Power modifier included in the spell. The best part? The chalk outline isn't consumed like it is for most rituals, so you can use it over and over. A single Iron Ingot gives you 15 minutes of Shield III, a fish for Water Breathing, a bit of Glowstone Dust for Haste, etc.

Alexander_mr

Jul 29, 2019
hey i have a problem you might be able to help me solve, i have finally gotten myself som etheral blooms or what ever they are called, i placed them underground on layer 11 to protect them from any sort of harm and to make more space for me to build on without having to worry about the blooms, but it seems like all they do underground is to remove all taint but leaves the biome as a taint biome and only converts very few blocks back to normal biome again, compared to a bloom placed overground that is progressing a way faster an turning the biome back, are the blooms suposed to be less effective underground??? the taint it gone but the biome is still taint biome and the grass is still purple

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
hey i have a problem you might be able to help me solve, i have finally gotten myself som etheral blooms or what ever they are called, i placed them underground on layer 11 to protect them from any sort of harm and to make more space for me to build on without having to worry about the blooms, but it seems like all they do underground is to remove all taint but leaves the biome as a taint biome and only converts very few blocks back to normal biome again, compared to a bloom placed overground that is progressing a way faster an turning the biome back, are the blooms suposed to be less effective underground??? the taint it gone but the biome is still taint biome and the grass is still purple

They work the same underground. Try reloading the save game, or run very far and back to reload the chunks, they should convert the biome after that.

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019

Make sure that there are no underground tainted aura nodes in the chunks with your underground ethereal blooms, as they will prevent the area around them from being cleansed. This was usually what I found was going on when I had areas where my ethereal blooms weren't working well or quickly.

Alexander_mr

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the response, it turned out that the hole area had turned into plains biome next time i started the game =), so it was just the chunk that hadn't updated =)

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the response, it turned out that the hole area had turned into plains biome next time i started the game =), so it was just the chunk that hadn't updated =)

Gotta admit, having an underground network of blooms seems like the easiest way to detaint everything. Kinda funny, given they're plants, and this may be the first time that a lvl 11-12 tunnel system is useful outside of finding diamonds. XD

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
The disadvantage is that you have to go back to the surface to see where the biome has changed and if you need to find tainted nodes.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
The disadvantage is that you have to go back to the surface to see where the biome has changed and if you need to find tainted nodes.
That's what f3 is for. ;)
Also you can use grass via Botania's pasture seeds, or water, to see if the color has changed.

Alexander_mr

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta admit, having an underground network of blooms seems like the easiest way to detaint everything. Kinda funny, given they're plants, and this may be the first time that a lvl 11-12 tunnel system is useful outside of finding diamonds. XD
yea and then it's also easier to get the most out of them by placing them in a block like grid with 14 blocks distance between them :D

Alexander_mr

Jul 29, 2019
googles of revealing my friend - and you got plenty of time to take out the tainted nodes after placing the blooms =)

Alexander_mr

Jul 29, 2019
14 blocks is too much, they clear a circle. More like 9-10 to cover all squares.
for me 14 isn't too much - they leave small circles of taint back in between the areas they cover but i just use a single bloom for that which i move arround and clears the rest up - takes almost no time at all

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA

Rings have no armour.... put it on the actual armour.