Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
But then you can't see them past a hill or something.

If you make enough in the right places it won't matter. :p

But yeah, I do see your point. While it probably wouldn't help me any (I remember pretty much everywhere I go somehow), I can see the usefulness of a block that puts out a beam like a beacon, but that's cheaper.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
If you make enough in the right places it won't matter. :p

But yeah, I do see your point. While it probably wouldn't help me any (I remember pretty much everywhere I go somehow), I can see the usefulness of a block that puts out a beam like a beacon, but that's cheaper.
Oh yeah, I myself don't adventure much but when I do move around, I know where I am and stuff, and often make a habit of building either a tall house or on a mountain. But I know lots of people would love it.

Reactions: Padfoote

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
If I take off my glasses, I can't even see that far (clearly...) Makes crossing the road "fun".

I don't mind minimaps, but I'd love there to be a mod where you have to craft a gizmo that unlocks a minimap. So you start with nothing, make use of default maps, landmarks, etc, until you gather the resources & infrastructure to build said gizmo.
If I take off my glasses, I can't even see my own hands typing clearly. Seriously.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
You craft a beacon and place it. Volia- instant waypoint.
I'm not paying a nether star for an in-game waypoint. I think that's way too much and I'm already established and have less need for waypoints once I get nether stars. :p

TBH, what I'd really like is a version of Antique Atlas with a fairly cheap waypoint block that can be named, shoots out a beacon-like thing with a customizable color, and shows in the Atlas.

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
While I don't mind them, I don't tend to add minimap mods into my packs; for me they tend to discourage me from building roads and railways. I usually use something like the RPG Advanced mod in my packs because they add a nice way of giving a general direction to a waypoint as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm firmly on the side of minimaps. There was a neat mod that only really did the waypoint beacon effect from Zan/Voxel and JourneyMap. Can't remember what it was called, but it was designed to remove the need for the f3 screen to find people. Come Find Me?

That having been said, I still terraform the landscape and put in roads. I've never been fond of standard marker designs though, and rarely need them over medium-to-short distances. If I need a marker it would have to be REALLY BIG... and hence take a crapton of time and effort, which I could be using to play the game if I had some form of waypointing. The ability to place arbitrary waypoints also allows me to go to places I've never visited before without having to continually check the debug screen... which has been part of vanilla for so long that if you don't consider it to be an intended/baseline feature? I personally think you're deluding yourself for the sake of "balance". Minimaps are a more visually appealing way to accomplish ease/enjoyability of play for those that don't think navigation is any fun.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
What about a minimap that only works in areas containing a special landmark multiblock? Like, it only unlocks if there's a landmark closer than 300 blocks. I want that.

An artificial beacon. Requires power to keep active but can be replaced with a normal beacon once you get the materials. It could require a crystal plate to be held in inventory to keep it
working. Or also function like an enchantment that can be placed on gear.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I'm firmly on the side of minimaps. There was a neat mod that only really did the waypoint beacon effect from Zan/Voxel and JourneyMap. Can't remember what it was called, but it was designed to remove the need for the f3 screen to find people. Come Find Me?

The legend gear mod (old version) had an effect like that. You could see it for miles.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of minimaps, what would be a good tool to make a server map that you can find from a URL?

I think the only tool you will find that is suitable for that might be MCedit combined with creative mode. You can use it to copy paist edit fairly easily. Though it can't display modded blocks you can still use them with it well enough.

Edit: I seem to have replied to the wrong post.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I think the only tool you will find that is suitable for that might be MCedit combined with creative mode. You can use it to copy paist edit fairly easily. Though it can't display modded blocks you can still use them with it well enough.
Perhaps I should clarify...

There used to be several map mods that would map out the whole server map that could then be seen online at a URL. No editing required.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Any sort of in-game waypoint that relies on it being inside loaded chunks is too short-ranged.

Yes, a client mod can bypass all the server-controlled stuff. But a mod that is designed to be server-controlled, and only display stuff if the server says "ok to display" is no different than vanilla rendering.

Xray? Mini-map? Mini-map with ore finder?

Versus in-game mazemap/ore finder item that you craft?

Yes, an in-game thing that is farther-seeing than a vanilla map, that has a sense of north, that lets you see what's going on better than normal minecraft vision does? Why not?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Any sort of in-game waypoint that relies on it being inside loaded chunks is too short-ranged.
Key part of this is being within loaded chunks, that isn't necessary. You can store a hash of waypoint configurations (names and such) to positions and then render accordingly on the client side. Whenever a player makes a new waypoint it is added to the hash.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all for minimaps, but I explore a lot. I'll go 2-3000 blocks from spawn when I start a new world in order to find a cool place to build. Along the way I'll find cool things that I need to come back for due to being under equipped or lacking inventory space. Minimaps would have made my initial vanilla experience 10x better. I played on a server that had huge abandoned cities and we only found them a month before the map reset. Plus even in vanilla, I'd wander 5k blocks away from people to test a build and I'd often forget to screen shoot my coordinates and I'd lose builds.

Minimaps are awesome. They don't ruin anything for me. I've become accustomed to them since GTA III.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all for minimaps, but I explore a lot. I'll go 2-3000 blocks from spawn when I start a new world in order to find a cool place to build. Along the way I'll find cool things that I need to come back for due to being under equipped or lacking inventory space. Minimaps would have made my initial vanilla experience 10x better. I played on a server that had huge abandoned cities and we only found them a month before the map reset. Plus even in vanilla, I'd wander 5k blocks away from people to test a build and I'd often forget to screen shoot my coordinates and I'd lose builds.

Minimaps are awesome. They don't ruin anything for me. I've become accustomed to them since GTA III.

I my last dw20 game I have exposed over 10km² searching for magical forests and deserts - mostly for Thaumcraft content - Not possible without a map mod of some kind. I also really love building with Railcrafts Abyssal Rock when available and that requires searching far enough to find proper deep ocean biomes.

Reactions: RedBoss