Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I personally believe it's lame. Where's the fun of making a giant automated farm when you could make a 1x1 potato-pooper instead?
... Actually, it might be pretty funny to set up a cyclic potato pooper. Just a 1x1, autonomous activator + farmland block farm. XD
Use transparent pipes, droppers, and lights that flash every time a potato is pooped. :D

But yeah, Photogenic Insolator = boring. It's utilitarian, and it'd be useful for crops that can't be bone mealed (I'm looking at you, cactus!), but MFR, Forestry, or even Steve's Carts farms are better. :p
Probably faster in the long run too, but you probably don't need 64 stacks of 64 wheat each... ;)

Reactions: 1SDAN and Lethosos

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think the main purpose is for skyblock maps where dirt is in short supply. But I agree; in a typical world where dirt is everywhere, I'd much rather see my crops growing.

It seems to me that it is easier to set up a automated farm than set up that machine and the crafter to make the fertilizer.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to me that it is easier to set up a automated farm than set up that machine and the crafter to make the fertilizer.
... What do you need to make the fertilizer, anyway?
And yeah, the entire MFR Farm setup is OP. It just takes a long time to get everything, and more time to automate it fully/properly. :p

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Not really. Once you've done an MFR farm loop once, and if you have the materials? It's easy and fast to make another set of obscenely fast, horrifically OP, and self-sustaining farm loops. At least Steve's Carts is pretty much a simple linear scale. MFR goes exponential.

That having been said, being able to go that obscene is actually a benefit once you get high tech and need stacks of wheat at a time in automated processes to produce ethanol or whatever to fuel your massive AE system or whatever. Sometimes you need an overpowered setup to help prevent lag. That's actually why I have Project E installed (If Pahimar ever gives us back condensers I'll use EE3). I can feed a lot of really laggy processes with condensers and save an absolutely absurd amount of lag over the long haul at end game. Mob farms especially. Entities are absolute hell on minecraft, so the fewer mob farms I have to deal with the better. My Blood Magic LP farm uses a regen reactor (Thaumcraft Golems and/or Witches), so I don't have to spawn and kill mobs constantly. What's overpowered for some people can be neccessary for the game to run smoothly to another :p

Honestly I find all the new stuff in TE4 is underwhelming except for the machine upgrades. Mana is used nowhere, and there's yet another new alloy for the sake of a new alloy to use in a mid-tier crafting step. Instead of utilizing the materials they currently have more effectively they just tacked on more. I'm exempting Thermal Dynamics from that, I have yet to see something in that mod to complain about. Autonomous Activators requiring power by default... that just seems silly (YES I KNOW I CAN CHANGE THE BLEEPING CONFIG VALUES! No, I'm not at all tired of people saying that to a complaint about the DEFAULT VALUES. Obviously I know that it's the DEFAULT and can be changed. But defaults are powerful and often CANNOT be changed), nobody else does that and it just adds another block face to take up. They don't scale in any way, and they're not THAT much more powerful than any of the other fake players in existence, none of which require power. I still use TE because it's very good at what it does, and things like tesseracts are still almost unique in the tech world (Reika has an equivalent in his magic mod ChromatiCraft with World Rifts), why is it so anathema to come up with a LIMITLESS transfer method at the top-tier? Which is why I don't consider EnderIO Dimensional Transcievers to be in the same vein as tesseracts: they have a frankly puny limit that I can exceed without even trying hard.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
... What do you need to make the fertilizer, anyway?
And yeah, the entire MFR Farm setup is OP. It just takes a long time to get everything, and more time to automate it fully/properly. :p

I think it was niter, pulverized charcoal, and slag or 2 sawdust in place of the charcoal for the low grade stuff replace the slag for rich slag for the high end. And you only get the rich slag by processing ores in the induction smelter. But if you do that you also have to feed it sand, you louse the secondary processing results, and still only get a peace about 50% of the time. More or less depending on what you are processing.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I think it was niter, pulverized charcoal, and slag or 2 sawdust in place of the charcoal for the low grade stuff replace the slag for rich slag for the high end. And you only get the rich slag by processing ores in the induction smelter. But if you do that you also have to feed it sand, you louse the secondary processing results, and still only get a peace about 50% of the time. More or less depending on what you are processing.
Yeah... I think an AA Potato Pooper is just better. :D

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
MFR is an older mod than 98% of the mods out today. It was designed specifically to eliminate the grind of vanilla. If you think its OP, then your pack isn't properly balanced for your tastes. That's not MFR's fault.
Are you speaking to me...? :p
I said it was OP jokingly. I love it to death and know that it's been around since the dawn of time and think it's fairly well balanced; it's not an "every machine in one" mod at all, which is awesome. I feel really challenged by MFR to build a production line for... Cows, apparently. ;)
It's really powerful once you get it working, which I jokingly call "OP" (much like many call ore-doubling OP, though a large fraction of those actually mean it...).
On the "List of FTB Automation Challenges," automating the entire MFR farm chain is way up there, right up above "Automatic Diamonds from Nothing" (which I have built). :D

Reactions: 1SDAN and RedBoss

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
My apologies. Too much Reddit apparently. People keep throwing out OP and its annoying. Any independent mod is not over powered. Balance, in the current dynamic, occurs more-so on the pack level than on the mod level. Especially considering that a mod, in isolation, has only vanilla to balance against.

There have bin a number of discussions on the frequent inappropriate use of the term OP in these forums. Most more or less agree with your sentiments.
With the addition that many use OP to divisive things that they simply do not like Rather than things they thing are really OP. And that many confuse things that are merely powerful with things that are overly powerful.

Reactions: RedBoss

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
He's now making money. With his logo on it. That kinda makes me feel ill. What's next paper money with his face on it. His image on the moon.

IIRC IC2 already has coins. It's not that big of a deal for Greg to be expanding on it.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
IIRC IC2 already has coins. It's not that big of a deal for Greg to be expanding on it.
Yep. IC2 has one unit of currency last I checked. Older versions of gregtech added new tiers of coin.

Also, what's so wrong about gregtech using the gregtech logo on gregtech's coins? I honestly don't understand why you're so against it if you'd like to explain @NJM1564

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think he was being entirely serious with his comment ^^

I'm rarely is ever entirely serious with my comments.
It's just that he puts that logo everywhere. On every one of his machines. It gets kinda annoying seeing that everywhere.
Like are we really going to forget who's mod we are playing with. Him pasting that logo all over the place makes it seem like he is trying to run for office.
His logo is the spam of minecraft mods. The robo call. The door to door salesman or religious personage. Or worse your local political representative running for office.
Blegh it's just to much. Have some modesty greg. For our sake as well as yours.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It's just that he puts that logo everywhere. On every one of his machines. It gets kinda annoying seeing that everywhere.
Like are we really going to forget who's mod we are playing with. Him pasting that logo all over the place makes it seem like he is trying to run for office.
His logo is the spam of minecraft mods. The robo call. The door to door salesman or religious personage. Or worse your local political representative running for office.

I do not know the gregtech logo. But @Azanor has a distinctive cultist logo he adds to many thaumcraft items. I do not mind that at all. It brings everything together.

Reactions: goreae

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Greg has his mod setup as if there was a company behind those machines, hence the constant references to it on his forum post and the in game books. From that standpoint it makes perfect sense for his logo to be everywhere.