Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I do not have the time to make and manage another addon, but it is certainly something I have no issues with someone else making. That said, you are going to have a hard time making the numbers work.
Oh well, I still might try and fine tune some of my ideas.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I do not have the time to make and manage another addon, but it is certainly something I have no issues with someone else making. That said, you are going to have a hard time making the numbers work.

I thought that at least one of those -- wormholes / interdimensional transport -- was part of chromatic craft. Isn't that where all of those "magical wanna-physics" belong?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika: Feedback regarding FPS... I've noticed that while getting 6 FPS with the reactor going and turbine, if I walk about one chunk away, suddenly I snap back to 20 FPS+. Could there be an issue with the line of sight model detail when you're close?

Also I put the turbine flywheel back on my reactor turbine. It's beautiful. In Opis the Electricraft generator was a really high CPU item (1700ms) without the flywheel, I assume because the varying voltage caused network updates. With the flywheel, I can't even locate the generator in the Opis output. Chickens take more CPU time. Beautiful code!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika: Feedback regarding FPS... I've noticed that while getting 6 FPS with the reactor going and turbine, if I walk about one chunk away, suddenly I snap back to 20 FPS+. Could there be an issue with the line of sight model detail when you're close?

Also I put the turbine flywheel back on my reactor turbine. It's beautiful. In Opis the Electricraft generator was a really high CPU item (1700ms) without the flywheel, I assume because the varying voltage caused network updates. With the flywheel, I can't even locate the generator in the Opis output. Chickens take more CPU time. Beautiful code!
Turbines do have a more intensive renderer than most models.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
And yet my biggest FPS drop happens without the turbine moving.

In your LOD models, could you make the getDistanceMultiplier configurable in the config file? Maybe then I could reduce the distance more and it'd be lower resolution until I get close?

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
I'm been monitoring this thread for a while and haven't seen something about it, but has conveyor belts been suggested? By their nature, they seem fit for a rotor based power system. I know MFR has a similar machine, but a Reika twist would be nice.:D Also, I was doing a damn build in my survival world, and wanted to choose the RoC hydrokinetic over an Electric age equivalent. For a water turbine -esque build, I thought of the housing of the high pressure turbine from ReC would be a nice touch. Could there be an upgrade of the hydrokinetic that perhaps has a similar gain like the high pressure turbine?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm been monitoring this thread for a while and haven't seen something about it, but has conveyor belts been suggested? By their nature, they seem fit for a rotor based power system. I know MFR has a similar machine, but a Reika twist would be nice.:D
Yes, this has, but it is largely redundant, as the fans serve this purpose.

Also, I was doing a damn build in my survival world, and wanted to choose the RoC hydrokinetic over an Electric age equivalent. For a water turbine -esque build, I thought of the housing of the high pressure turbine from ReC would be a nice touch. Could there be an upgrade of the hydrokinetic that perhaps has a similar gain like the high pressure turbine?
The power from a hydrokinetic is calculated from a kinematic analysis of falling water. Water that has fallen a known distance is moving with a certain velocity, and thus generates a specific speed and amount of force and thus torque.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
The power from a hydrokinetic is calculated from a kinematic analysis of falling water. Water that has fallen a known distance is moving with a certain velocity, and thus generates a specific speed and amount of force and thus torque.

Yes but in those equations the water is consumed. ;]

Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes but in those equations the water is consumed. ;]
....What?

It has nothing to do with consumption. Water falling a certain distance is moving at a certain speed, and thus from that you can calculate a radial speed - speed being linear velocity divided by radius - and water at a certain speed through a 1m^2 area has a certain mass flow rate, and thus imparts a certain amount of force, equal to F = mdot*v, and torque is equal to force times radius.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think what demo is saying that in real life, if I pour a bucket of water over a turbine, that water is "consumed" in its use. Whereas your calculation doesn't consume that water, its infinitely available.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
....What?

It has nothing to do with consumption. Water falling a certain distance is moving at a certain speed, and thus from that you can calculate a radial speed - speed being linear velocity divided by radius - and water at a certain speed through a 1m^2 area has a certain mass flow rate, and thus imparts a certain amount of force, equal to F = mdot*v, and torque is equal to force times radius.

That's absolutely correct! And when you're done harvesting the potential energy of the water, you've got to get more water. A flow rate is a quantity moving from X to Y, X has less water afterward. This goes back to my argument (yes, again) to nerf the hydros, in that it makes power from water without consuming the source blocks that supplied it. I believe there was an assumption in the math somewhere that it was essentially an infinite stream of water with a 1m^3 volume per block of height. If infinite water springs make 1 m^3 of water per second to refresh the center source block, you could have a water fall with a max flow rate of 1 m^3...

Nevermind. ;]

Last edited:

Kotaro

Jul 29, 2019
m^3, volume vs area :)

Two-dimensional water...

The water isn't consumed though, just the water with the higher potential energy is consumed, and you can created closed systems similar to what you describe. The energy just needs to come from somewhere though.

Aren't the hydros balanced by the amount of lubrication they require, though?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The water only has dimensions inasmuch as its appearance and its relationship to connecting blocks, in which case its three-dimensional. Not sure how you're getting 2 dimensions here.

Also: He said volume :)

The hydros are definitely "somewhat" balanced by lubrication requirements but an actual water-consumption mechanic would be a massive improvement.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
The water only has dimensions inasmuch as its appearance and its relationship to connecting blocks, in which case its three-dimensional. Not sure how you're getting 2 dimensions here.

Also: He said volume :)

The hydros are definitely "somewhat" balanced by lubrication requirements but an actual water-consumption mechanic would be a massive improvement.

I just recall we did some math last time and found they should be no better than gas engines total output with the small volume (water column) they work on and a limited flow rate (1 m^3 of water RECREATED per second).