Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
That is not true. Advanced Coding isn't for everybody, but the things you need to know for MC mods are not very advanced, and when they are you can always look at something open-source that has already done it. MC coding, while challenging at first gets easier over time, like all skills

That mentality is what will prevent you from learning. I started learning things 2 or 3 times before I ever made a dent in anything, but once I got some traction it was a lot easier from then on
MC coding, to me, is VERY advanced.
"That mentality" I freaking tried and I freaking failed!

Kotaro

Jul 29, 2019
I have tried to learn code. I never succeeded.

I didn't think I could learn how to draw ever, then I just started focusing on it and now I can put something that's at least recognizable out. I was just reaching too far and expecting too much of myself, and getting very frustrated in the process. Maybe your expectations are too high and you're stretching too far on your first attempts? It's pretty disheartening to write your first program and have it not even come close to compiling. Jumping into MC modding before you know how to do Hello World might be too far (I couldn't do it).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with starting with very simple and learning there. There are many resources available, and plenty of people - even most likely on this forum - that are willing to assist people a bit in learning.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
MC coding, to me, is VERY advanced.
It looks that way when you start. It is like a person who has never seen any math in there life looking at say...6th grade math and saying it is extremely difficult, when really it is because they have no prior knowledge
"That mentality" I freaking tried and I freaking failed!
So did I, there is a mantra in creative mediums about that "fail fast, and fail often" The key to creative mediums is iteration.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't think I could learn how to draw ever, then I just started focusing on it and now I can put something that's at least recognizable out. Maybe your expectations are too high and you're stretching too far on your first attempts? It's pretty disheartening to write your first program and have it not even come close to compiling. Jumping into MC modding before you know how to do Hello World might be too far (I couldn't do it).
Start simple, Hello worlds, factorial programs, etc.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with starting with very simple and learning there. There are many resources available, and plenty of people - even most likely on this forum - that are willing to assist people a bit in learning.
^
I would be willing to teach you myself

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I failed my first few times, too. Failing is natural; just because you fail at something doesn't mean you can't do it. I failed driving my van on a number of occasions when I was first learning to drive (mostly involving hospital parking decks, pillars, and the side doors), but I didn't just give up: I kept going, and now, I not only know how to drive, but I actually enjoy it and can do it fairly well. I may not be able to powerslide or do a Scandinavian flick, but I'm good enough to corner at speed and not hit things. Failure can teach you just as much as success, the key lies in figuring out why you failed. What did you do wrong? How can you not do it in the future? I've been writing code for 13 years, and I fail on a regular basis whenever I open Visual Studio. Syntax errors, control flow problems, those sneaky little bugs that propagate into fifty different things before you find the actual problem, they're all forms of failure, and you learn something from them every time.

If you want, I can teach you, as well. No, it won't be Minecraft-specific, it'd likely be Visual BASIC.Net or Python, but once you get the basics down, the only real hurdle of using a new language is learning the syntax. I learned the basics partly from tinkering for 2 years on my TI-83+ and a huge part due to a Visual BASIC class my high school offered. Once I learned the basics there, I rather easily branched off into my favourite language, C#, and things like Python and DM. The only real problem language I've learned is C++. C++ is a very heady language, with lots of possibilities, but also lots of ways to shoot yourself in the foot. The point is, you can learn, and you've got at least two people willing to help you do so.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I failed my first few times, too. Failing is natural; just because you fail at something doesn't mean you can't do it. I failed driving my van on a number of occasions when I was first learning to drive (mostly involving hospital parking decks, pillars, and the side doors), but I didn't just give up: I kept going, and now, I not only know how to drive, but I actually enjoy it and can do it fairly well. I may not be able to powerslide or do a Scandinavian flick, but I'm good enough to corner at speed and not hit things. Failure can teach you just as much as success, the key lies in figuring out why you failed. What did you do wrong? How can you not do it in the future? I've been writing code for 13 years, and I fail on a regular basis whenever I open Visual Studio. Syntax errors, control flow problems, those sneaky little bugs that propagate into fifty different things before you find the actual problem, they're all forms of failure, and you learn something from them every time.

If you want, I can teach you, as well. No, it won't be Minecraft-specific, it'd likely be Visual BASIC.Net or Python, but once you get the basics down, the only real hurdle of using a new language is learning the syntax. I learned the basics partly from tinkering for 2 years on my TI-83+ and a huge part due to a Visual BASIC class my high school offered. Once I learned the basics there, I rather easily branched off into my favourite language, C#, and things like Python and DM. The only real problem language I've learned is C++. C++ is a very heady language, with lots of possibilities, but also lots of ways to shoot yourself in the foot. The point is, you can learn, and you've got at least two people willing to help you do so.
Oh the Visual Basic it hurts :p

Also, C++ is useful, but it is to error-prone. I prefer Rust

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Oh the Visual Basic it hurts :p

Also, C++ is useful, but it is to error-prone. I prefer Rust
Ah the sweet memories of the programs I used to write in Visual Basic, some of them quite popular in the gaming community I was part of in those days (made a mapping program, and a program that lets you mod the game by hacking the games exe, even had the game developers contact me to offer assistance!). Sure, it was 10-15 years ago...
Before that it was BASIC on my Atari & C64 :D

Unfortunately the pressures of Real Life stopped me from progressing to newer languages, but as least I understand programming.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it's a copy-paste reply for everyone who reports problems about the april fools version

Reactions: 1SDAN

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question: am I the only one who gets kinda fed up with April Fools' Day?
It gets a little annoying, but it's usually over pretty quickly and some funny stuff comes out of it. I think the way Vazkii did their april fool's was probably the best way to do it, it's fairly obvious what was an april fools, and even if you don't realise that it isn't it doesn't cause too much harm.

Reactions: 1SDAN

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Now rises the question if I am the only one that couldn't be bothered to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.