What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Here's some ideas for you guys, since this seems to have derailed a bit to discussing methods of power generation;

Currently, my plan for power generation is not to get the most pure energy out of my resources or space, but, rather, to create forms of energy that are most useful. To demonstrate;
I plan on making a giant, 21x21 tower of wheat production going all the way from bedrock to the highest my eventual MFFS shield allows me to. (this server has problems with griefers) All of these farms will be replanted by turtles, unless it ends up being too demanding on the server, in which case I'll probably either use deployers, or set up a higher-producing wheat-generator powered by a tier 5 skele spawner.
This farm, by the way, will also produce potatoes for methane, since wheat grows faster in rows.
This wheat will then be moistened into mycelium, which can be centrifuged into sand, mushrooms, and especially, clay. Clay can then be turned into aluminum, (VERY useful, can be used to replace refined iron and machine blocks in many Gregtech machines) sodium, (which will probably be simply burned in steam boilers) lithium, (which can also be burned, but can also be used in a fusion reactor to produce iridium much more cheaply then UUM) and silicon. (Which I'll do some stockpiling of, but probably will throw away most of it)
Mushrooms can be centrifuged into methane, while sand I plan on using to make peat using an additional 21x21 tower of bog earth, with turtles replacing the dirt with bog earth, while turbaries collect the matured peat.
Peat can be burned in a furnace into 1 ash (better yield then in a peat engine) which can then be electrolyzed 2 at a time into 1 carbon cell.
As many of you are aware, I'm sure, 1 carbon + 4 hydrogen in a chemical reactor = 5 methane. And methane is awesome steam boiler fuel.
Almost all of this MJ, with the exception of whatever goes into MFFS force-energy production, will be turned into lava, and most of that lava will be either centrifuged into copper, tin, tungsten, and electrum, or turned into obsidian, pulverized, then electrolyzed to produce iron, (!!!) manganese, (which can be used to make IC windmills, but is otherwise useless) and silicon.

So, besides generating MJ and EU and the stuff which is simply burned, this set-up will also generate aluminum, copper, tin, electrum, tungsten, lithium, iron, manganese, and silicon.
And after that, I'd probably start working on making an infinite diamond generator out of a tier 5 blaze or wither skeleton spawner... (Yes, I know, not really MJ or EU, but it's still technically energy production.)

EDIT: Oh, just noticed that bit up there about the magma crucible rebalance... Anyone know anything about that?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Late on the pic, but...

2013-01-24_23.59.28.png

52 Gas turbines, generating 832 EU/t at max capacity. Feeding two MFSUs which run my primary EU power backbone.

Methane comes from a Forestry managed double tree farm, and a wall of centrifuges processing both the wood and sticky resin. Rubber gets recycled, plantballs get turned to biomass and then biofuel. Currently powering a 36HP boiler. Building a second boiler, which I was going to run off of methane, but GregTech change to methane amount has made me rethink that. Thankfully, the biofuel tank (7x7x8) is totally full, so I have options. Reduced output should have no trouble continuing to fuel these turbines.

2013-01-25_00.07.20.png

2013-01-25_00.07.58.png

This wheat will then be moistened into mycelium, which can be centrifuged into sand, mushrooms, and especially, clay. Clay can then be turned into aluminum, (VERY useful, can be used to replace refined iron and machine blocks in many Gregtech machines) sodium, (which will probably be simply burned in steam boilers) lithium, (which can also be burned, but can also be used in a fusion reactor to produce iridium much more cheaply then UUM) and silicon. (Which I'll do some stockpiling of, but probably will throw away most of it)

I do a lot of this as well, btw, except when I had six barrels full of mulch I broke down the moisteners. Eventually I'll put it back up when I run out. In a year or so. But, until then, I split the plantballs from the tree farm about 50/50 between biomass and macerating for dirt. The dirt is centrifuged for half the clay mycelium produces, but no mushrooms.

However, note the value in sodium with an industrial grinder. It produces copper better than the entire factorization process does (and much faster). It also works with tin, but isn't nearly as helpful (in fact, tin is the only metal I consider using with factorization)

while sand I plan on using to make peat using an additional 21x21 tower of bog earth, with turtles replacing the dirt with bog earth, while turbaries collect the matured peat.
Peat can be burned in a furnace into 1 ash (better yield then in a peat engine) which can then be electrolyzed 2 at a time into 1 carbon cell.

Ash is not generated from burning peat in a furnace, only when burning it in a peat engine. Sand is better used, IMO, in the recycler.

Reactions: xbony2

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I do a lot of this as well, btw, except when I had six barrels full of mulch I broke down the moisteners. Eventually I'll put it back up when I run out. In a year or so. But, until then, I split the plantballs from the tree farm about 50/50 between biomass and macerating for dirt. The dirt is centrifuged for half the clay mycelium produces, but no mushrooms.

However, note the value in sodium with an industrial grinder. It produces copper better than the entire factorization process does (and much faster). It also works with tin, but isn't nearly as helpful (in fact, tin is the only metal I consider using with factorization)

Ash is not generated from burning peat in a furnace, only when burning it in a peat engine. Sand is better used, IMO, in the recycler.

Mulch is great recycler fuel. :p
Oh, and bog earth in a carpenter is also a great way to get rid of mulch.

As for the sodium persulfate, yeah, except that processing copper with calcium carbonate gives you gold instead. Personally, I'd rather have more gold then more copper.

And for the peat to ash, check NEI, or even just throw some peat in a furnace. It converts at a 1 to 1 ratio into ash, whereas burning it in an engine only give 3/4, which is a loss compared to turning the stuff into methane.

EDIT: Also, debating whether or not I should use frames with deployers, or turtles to replant the wheat and potatos. Unfortunately, I can't do the same with the bog earth, but that one's easier to program.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
As for the sodium persulfate, yeah, except that processing copper with calcium carbonate gives you gold instead. Personally, I'd rather have more gold then more copper.

Actually, it's mercury with copper not calcium. (Calcium is for iron in an industrial blast furnace, for 3x). And I've generally been mercury limited, rarely having enough for my gold and silver to use it on copper as well.

And for the peat to ash, check NEI, or even just throw some peat in a furnace. It converts at a 1 to 1 ratio into ash, whereas burning it in an engine only give 3/4, which is a loss compared to turning the stuff into methane.

Ahh I see, I thought you intended to burn it as fuel. Lotsa ways to get carbon cells if that's your intent. Charcoal is an obvious one, but its also a side product of rubber trees. So much that I have a barrel full of carbon plates.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah, forgot about mercury... Yeah, that's harder to get...
Though, something interesting that I've recently learned about which is relevent; witches drop redstone and glowstone.

And yeah, I know there are much better ways to get carbon cells, but honestly it's just meant to be a more productive way to spend the sand produced.
Although, thinking about it, I think I may instead use the space for either charcoal or sugar cane, and process those into carbon and thus methane.

Blake 852

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to go Eco-friendly, with a small coke oven, simple and clean. electrical engines too!

Attachments

• 2013-01-29_00.10.10.png
    2013-01-29_00.10.10.png
    804.9 KB · Views: 260

mfgamesys

Jul 29, 2019
here is a pic of my power room for bc power
2013-01-28_17.13.01.png

in the front is my quarry recharger for the redstone energy cells it uses.

NateSci

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my power room, I just need to turn my 36HP Boiler on and clean up the floor and wall and that cable.

ZV9ai43.jpg

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my power room, I just need to turn my 36HP Boiler on and clean up the floor and wall and that cable.

Your minimap looks really cool. Like it's a base hidden in a forest. Only thing that's missing from FTB is Flan's Mod for awesome and useful landing strips.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My power room is nothing amazing as many of these screenshots.

3 biogas engines and 6 hobbyist steam engines. Fueled by a Steve's Carts Tree farm. Got way too many saplings and wooden planks being produced then I can make use of at the moment.

Small, but I like it. I guess that's producing at most 24.6 MJ/t (if I understand the numbers correctly).
Just built a quarry and need to power it somehow, seeing how it's eating through an energy cell. Quite funny how at the moment I build something, then I go watch DW20's next episode, and he has done the same - just a lot better :p

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I am guessing something like OpenCCSensors. The Gate Reader only reads true/false conditions.

NateSci

Jul 29, 2019
Industrial Information Panels and Color Upgrades

Used Liquid cards and Energy cards.

As for the crystals, I cheated those in because they look cool.