FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
From my understanding Slowpoke is adamant about this not becoming nor being a monopoly...

He may be, but once their launcher is up and running it's pretty much out of his hands. He can pull the FTB brand from it, but the launcher and functionality will still exist.

Reactions: RedBoss

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what will happen with the "modpack perms" stuff after that shift.
Wait and see I guess. :p

Nothing because perms have never mattered. And the new minecraft EULA says I am allowed to use w/e mod I want and the developer has to let me use it no matter what.

Aarchel

Jul 29, 2019
I like and trust both FTB and Minecraft Forge, and have great respect for all the efforts of both Lex Manos, and Slowpoke. However, I despise the cesspool that is Curse, and its related properties. I hate the Minecraft Forums, and will miss the independent forums for both Minecraft Forge and FTB. All that being said, I can understand why both Forge and FTB would choose to go this route, and I pray that it turns into something good, but for me this is still a disappointment.

I hope that Curse doesn't ruin everything like it usually does, and stays away from making anything about this partnership "Premium." I'll be watching developments about this closely, and I warn now that at the first sign of stupidity from Curse I'm gone. There are other launchers, and other ways of making/distributing mods/packs, I don't need Curse.

Last edited:

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say, I'm very uneasy about this. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Curse by a long shot, and I have a feeling that this partnership of yours is gonna brutally murder every other launcher and their related communities, which would be... bad, in my opinion.

MrMFretwell

Jul 29, 2019
Very interesting read Slowpoke.

I completely respect your decision, I believe that having both met you and seen your hard work that you have this all sorted out, and I wish you the absolute the best, I think it will expand the audience for FTB and bring many new emerging modders to this wonderful community. But be very careful with Curse and how they operate because, they are a business at the end the day, and mainly focus on the profit, not the people. They have a poor record already of putting the profit before the people with the shambles of moderators and such on the Minecraft Forums already just to mention one thing. But I believe as I say that you have the situation in hand and know that you are doing the best for Feed the Beast. I am eager and interested to see how the community can benefit from this in the long run. Which I know it will, good luck and I hope that you achieve everything you set out to do with Lex. FTB has been a beacon of hope for many people, now maybe that can be transferred to Curse. :)

Reactions: Dorque

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm worried about the move to Curse. I have used Curse's Client since it was released to the public (I might have even been in one of the semi-open Alpha/Beta stages... that was a LONG time ago), I used the WoWAce client, and I used WoWMatrix. Curse was my favorite only because it contained the majority of my addons. I still used WoWMatrix until the permission/ad kerfluffle, and I used WoWAce until it was subsumed by curse, because they helped me with addons that weren't on the curse network.

I like the Curse Client personally. But, having said that: I have these things to add:

I know right now that not all mod developers are going to move to CurseForge. Which means no automatic downloads and updates for all mods (Hey there WoWMatrix kerfluffle from WoW's past, and also some other minecraft launchers I won't name in hopes of avoiding a flame war). This might be worked around, but I doubt it with the way some modders treat their intellectual property (which is their right. I fully support people that don't want their code used in a way they find objectionable)

The FTB and Forge forums moving to Curse I see as nothing but negative. I didn't like it when Minecraft moved there, and I have friends that I am attempting to get to play MC who CANNOT use Curse (long story, short version is mods abusing their powers = bad). This means they cannot use the Curse Client and will be unable to use Forge and FTB the instant you make the switch. Monolithic systems aren't usually a good thing (Make no mistake, we're heading towards a monolithic system here instead of a repository-like system ala the Elder Scrolls and Fallout Nexus model). ESPECIALLY when being rightfully affected in one area will affect you in COMPLETELY unrelated areas. Why does a ban from World of Warcraft for ThingWhichOnlyAffectsWarcraft mean you can't speak on the Minecraft forums?

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
I'm worried about the move to Curse. I have used Curse's Client since it was released to the public (I might have even been in one of the semi-open Alpha/Beta stages... that was a LONG time ago), I used the WoWAce client, and I used WoWMatrix. Curse was my favorite only because it contained the majority of my addons. I still used WoWMatrix until the permission/ad kerfluffle, and I used WoWAce until it was subsumed by curse, because they helped me with addons that weren't on the curse network.

I like the Curse Client personally. But, having said that: I have these things to add:

I know right now that not all mod developers are going to move to CurseForge. Which means no automatic downloads and updates for all mods (Hey there WoWMatrix kerfluffle from WoW's past, and also some other minecraft launchers I won't name in hopes of avoiding a flame war). This might be worked around, but I doubt it with the way some modders treat their intellectual property (which is their right. I fully support people that don't want their code used in a way they find objectionable)

The FTB and Forge forums moving to Curse I see as nothing but negative. I didn't like it when Minecraft moved there, and I have friends that I am attempting to get to play MC who CANNOT use Curse (long story, short version is mods abusing their powers = bad). This means they cannot use the Curse Client and will be unable to use Forge and FTB the instant you make the switch. Monolithic systems aren't usually a good thing (Make no mistake, we're heading towards a monolithic system here instead of a repository-like system ala the Elder Scrolls and Fallout Nexus model). ESPECIALLY when being rightfully affected in one area will affect you in COMPLETELY unrelated areas. Why does a ban from World of Warcraft for ThingWhichOnlyAffectsWarcraft mean you can't speak on the Minecraft forums?
I just spoke to someone from the Minecraft forums about this and they have indicated that bans are not by default Global but are site specific. If you have evidence contrary to this, please pm me with it and I will look into it for you.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
How long between the time this is up and running, and the time that curse is compromised and the mods are used as a malware delivery mechanism? That's a hefty userbase of trusting machines you could do some damage with.

Status
Not open for further replies.