FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I really won't care a lot about a new launcher and backend. The launcher would have to at least match MultiMC 5 in terms of ease of use and configuration, and the backend would have to contain every mod with 1 button push installation without advertisements and adfly links.

This might seem steep, but that's the point that the community is at right now, it seems like a waste of time and resources to design and build the whole system when what is currently available is only slightly worse.

Reactions: SephirothWS

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
these are some exciting new changes that are going to come, but I do have some doubts about everything myself.
but I'm very happy for FTB to have made another step forwards, a quite big step if I may say myself.

I'll ofcourse be watching how this developement will go and I'm 100% confident that the FTB team is absolutely not planning on making things worse for the users of FTB, and will only agree with changes if things will only get better for us.

so I guess I should say Congratulations :p

Reactions: Museli and Eyamaz

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to say, I believe these developments are only positive for FTB, Forge, Curse, and Minecraft users as a whole. It's a full win-win situation. I see it as a great matching of resources with need, and beautiful things come from that.

Grats, Slowpoke and team.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've heard to me it sums up as

- Permissions won't be an issue since the curse launcher will download the mods you want in your pack directly. (I think?)
- You can choose to use a premade modpack or just click the mods you want
- The launcher will exceed the current standards of the FTB launcher
- The functionality will be available to everyone not just FTB
- With Lex and Slow advising on the launcher, the launcher will be geared towards what minecraft users need
- The launcher and mods remain free to use

Only part I am nervous about is the whole swap to volunteering for Curse. Curse is much bigger than FTB. I have loved Curse since WoW (I miss the raid nights). For me the nervousness is that I know the FTB team and I don't yet know the Curse team and change is scary. Oh @Morvelaira I need a hug, and a kitten please?

Last edited:

Muted

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the change. Provided everything remains free of charge with full functionality, having a full-time team behind the launcher and all three parties working together can only be a good thing. Who knows what changes in 1.8 and beyond might mean for a launcher team, and as great as UNV and jjw have been they wouldn't be able to dedicate the time and resources necessary to keeping it up to date. The changes to the forums, etc. aren't that big of a deal from a end-user standpoint, glad that the FTB gets to stay on should they wish to though,

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
No thanks. If the past is any inclination by the time this sees fruit Mojang will have already released the mod api and repository. The new vanilla launcher, multimc and magiclauncher all allow creation of custom packs better than any of the launchers minus ID conflict issues that should disappear in 1.7. Most likely we'll all still need to go through adfly's, or there'll be the curse non-premium limitation of 3 downloads at a time (that's what it was when I was in WoW). FTB has spent so much time working on an almost vapor ware launcher (with skins) and now are planning the end of that as yet unfinished launcher. ATLauncher already works better for pack adjustments and custom creation. Seems like FTB is incorporating itself out of business with to many changes to quickly. Would probably be far more effective to stave off launchers all together, educate everyone on how to setup a vanilla instance and focus on releasing config packs.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
No thanks. If the past is any inclination by the time this sees fruit Mojang will have already released the mod api and repository. The new vanilla launcher, multimc and magiclauncher all allow creation of custom packs better than any of the launchers minus ID conflict issues that should disappear in 1.7. Most likely we'll all still need to go through adfly's, or there'll be the curse non-premium limitation of 3 downloads at a time (that's what it was when I was in WoW). FTB has spent so much time working on an almost vapor ware launcher (with skins) and now are planning the end of that as yet unfinished launcher. ATLauncher already works better for pack adjustments and custom creation. Seems like FTB is incorporating itself out of business with to many changes to quickly. Would probably be far more effective to stave off launchers all together, educate everyone on how to setup a vanilla instance and focus on releasing config packs.

Curse doesnt use adfly and part of the agreement is they are not allowed to limit the downloads for anyone.

Acediar

Jul 29, 2019
I've used the curse client for... I believe 5 years now. Yes they run ads, this is how they finance themselves but I have yet to find content you cannot access without a premium account.
The only thing you can only access with a premium account are the curse giveaways and they offer download queues to premium members.

I actually can see the direct comparison due to the fact that I own a free curse premium account while my girlfriend has a normal one. Besides convinience features (download queue) the content is the same[DOUBLEPOST=1389301485][/DOUBLEPOST]
Curse doesnt use adfly and part of the agreement is they are not allowed to limit the downloads for anyone.
Curse premium offers download queues and multiple paralel downloads. Will this have be translated into a feature or ignored at all? I mean even if I highly doubt I would want to download multiple mod packs simultaneously, I am just curious

Reactions: Museli

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
My one hold up about this is having to wait for an improved launcher. TBH I would have migrated over to ATLauncher except my friends like the Direwolf20 Pack and the actual packs themselves are better (although some recent decisions have left me with hold ups). In August I saw Slowpoke at a panel and he showed off the new launcher and it looked really cool. It's a shame we're never going to see that. Otherwise Great news.

Alterna D. Hunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious to see how this turns out, but I suppose 6 months is still quite a ways away. I actually like that you're shifting focus from a launcher to a pack creator too- that should mean more time to work on new packs and bugfixing old packs fox a lot of team members, as well as bringing FTB back more closely to what it once was.[DOUBLEPOST=1389302539][/DOUBLEPOST]
My one hold up about this is having to wait for an improved launcher. TBH I would have migrated over to ATLauncher except my friends like the Direwolf20 Pack and the actual packs themselves are better (although some recent decisions have left me with hold ups). In August I saw Slowpoke at a panel and he showed off the new launcher and it looked really cool. It's a shame we're never going to see that. Otherwise Great news.

You are mistaken- the OP clearly states that the new launcher will be released in the near (?) future, not abandoned.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious to see how this turns out, but I suppose 6 months is still quite a ways away. I actually like that you're shifting focus from a launcher to a pack creator too- that should mean more time to work on new packs and bugfixing old packs fox a lot of team members, as well as bringing FTB back more closely to what it once was.[DOUBLEPOST=1389302539][/DOUBLEPOST]

You are mistaken- the OP clearly states that the new launcher will be released in the near (?) future, not abandoned.

Oh. Did I misread it? My bad. :p

Kerviel

Jul 29, 2019
I have always loved the curse client for my wow addons so I am very excited about the prospect of this new venture. Curse premium for the Wow Addon client just made it so it would update them all automatically or with one click, but without it it was easy to just click one button for each addon to update them, premium was just an added convenience.

Well done on making this happen.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this is disturbing news to me... I have never been a fan of Curse. Hopefully the modpacks will continue to be easy to transfer to MultiMC and I never have to look at Curse. Will miss being here on the forums... Curse forums tend to be pretty shitty so I won't be here for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.