FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, there are a lot of negative posts towards Curse/this decision. Quick, someone get a yay/nay count!

Reactions: Dorque

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Read the OP, understand the move, just hope all the ads and malware doesn't transfer over. Also, Slow and Lex, I wish you guys would fight for a position higher than "advisor." I doubt that the Curse team would listen to a mere "advisor." It would be another matter if you guys actually had power and I would go into this transition with my mind at rest knowing you two will do your best for all of us in the long run. Also, please make sure that these forums DON'T go away. You mentioned that the layout would be same, and I've been extremely enjoying the forums even though I'm a new member. Things I would like to see happen overall:
1. No ads or malware. (or if that's really not an option, some ads are fine as long as they don't fill the whole launcher.)
2. Slow and Lex should not, NOT be just "advisors." I don't know what kind of powers you guys will have, but that title just seems too weak.
3. The forums must stay. They're awesome. They're clean. Everyone loves them.
4. In the long run, more ads should not be added, and more power should not be taken away from Slow and Lex as well as our own forum moderators. If there's even a slightest hint that Curse is extending their evil hand, pull out.
And as long as these four things are enacted upon I will be happy to support the change. Of course compromises will have to be made, but as long as its these things, I'm good. :)

Obviously you don't understand how a coporation like curse works, they will block certain features from "normal" users unless you pay there stupid fee, or premiun account access whatever the hell they call, it's all a joke.

They will make you view ad's at every little corner of something that has the "curse" logo on it.

just going to say this last bit, and well then I'm done have fun with your mess.

Curse is the EA of modding they buy out/acquire whatever they can get there hands on.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Obviously you don't understand how a coporation like curse works, they will block certain features from "normal" users unless you pay there stupid fee, or premiun account access whatever the hell they call, it's all a joke.

They will make you view ad's at every little corner of something that has the "curse" logo on it.

just going to say this last bit, and well then I'm done have fun with your mess.

Curse is the EA of modding they buy out/acquire whatever they can get there hands on.
Curse doesnt use adfly and part of the agreement is they are not allowed to limit the downloads for anyone.
oh?

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Wow.

I went back through all the posts on this thread and counted the following based on the posts' content towards these changes (1 per person):

• Negative Posts: 32
  • Positive Posts: 7
  • Neutral/Unsure Posts: 16

I should note that the majority of users that posted negatively were Active Members and above.

SUGGESTION: Slowpoke, you can do what you want with FTB; but I strongly recommend a poll created and announced in the forums, twitter, and Reddit to see what the FTB community thinks. Thus far; very negative.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Wow.

I went back through all the posts on this thread and counted the following based on the posts' content towards these changes (1 per person):

• Negative Posts: 32
  • Positive Posts: 7
  • Neutral/Unsure Posts: 16

I should note that the majority of users that posted negatively were Active Members and above.

SUGGESTION: Slowpoke, you can do what you want with FTB; but I strongly recommend a poll created and announced in the forums, twitter, and Reddit to see what the FTB community thinks. Thus far; very negative.
And IRC ever few hours.

I know quite a lot of people that go on the IRC channel (#FTB), that do not browse Twitter, Reddit, or the Forums.

Edit: Here's an interesting question; what happens to the wiki when the Curse stuff happens?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorque and QueWhat

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
I'm willing to wait and see, but I've heard so many horror stories from friends who have used Curse for WoW related things in the past that this really doesn't fill me with any sort of optimism at all. And by wait and see, I mean let others install it first and see what happens to them. lol

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
You never know until you try?
Incorrect. Experience is not a prerequisite for making predictions. I, for one, have never eaten glass. Though I lack the experience, logical predictions can be made which reveal it to be a terrible idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1389332179][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm going to cross-post my response from Reddit here, since it sums up my concerns:
If things get that bad then I can imagine Mojang stepping in. They've made it very clear NO ONE is to monetize on the distribution of minecraft mods. Even adfly links are arguably against the ToS.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Incorrect. Experience is not a prerequisite for making predictions. I, for one, have never eaten glass. Though I lack the experience, logical predictions can be made which reveal it to be a terrible idea.
That, however, is based on the fact that you already know what is almost certainly going to happen if you eat glass based on past experiences of others.
There has never been a company like FTB that has partnered with two other entities (not sure if Minecraft Forge is a company) like Minecraft Forge and Curse, so there cannot be accurate predictions based on what has happened in the past.

I can guarantee you that FTB wouldn't have agreed to this if they didn't think it in the best interests of the community.

Reactions: Eyamaz

MoonlightMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
Does this mean that Curse *will* be developing a working Mac client that supports MC?

IFAIK, they dumped the Mac client development ages ago... What options are there for the FTB fan running a Mac?

TheBytemaster

Jul 29, 2019
Curse is a for-profit organization. We should all want to know:
  • How are Curse going to make money from FTB?
  • How are Curse going to make money from Forge?
  • Where does that money go to?
I agree. These are the main questions that I have yet to see addressed. Especially the first/second one. How exactly does curse plan to make money, besides the aforementioned ads? I seriously doubt that they'll be happy with just the ad revenue alone, especially given the amount of money they could rake in if they convince even a small fraction of the FTB userbase to buy into their "premium" gig.

Reactions: Dorque and Padfoote

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
I can guarantee you that FTB wouldn't have agreed to this if they didn't think it in the best interests of the community.
See, the problem is that the FTB often sees the best interests of the community as being money in the pockets of the FTB team leads, so that's not exactly at odds with the negative feedback of the decision. It's a road they've been going down for quite a while.

Back on September 4th, when slow first mentioned that FTB was going to become a business rather than a community, he made a promise.

Finally although I have said this once, we should again make the point that we are not now nor ever going to ask for any form of payment for either use of the launcher or downloading of any pack.

It feels like the move to a Curse launcher is intended as a way around that promise, by having Curse asking for payment and then sharing the profit.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
If the technical performance of this forum (to say nothing of the quality of this community) decreases to match that of minecraftforum.net, I will be a very sad panda.

I am not enthusiastic about surrendering any level of control to Curse. If their programs run like their websites, I can see a lot of people being dissatisfied.

Are there plans to continue Tapatalk API support after the forums migration? One of the major things I love about this forum is the ease and speed of mobile browsing with Tapatalk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
That, however, is based on the fact that you already know what is almost certainly going to happen if you eat glass based on past experiences of others.
There has never been a company like FTB that has partnered with two other entities (not sure if Minecraft Forge is a company) like Minecraft Forge and Curse, so there cannot be accurate predictions based on what has happened in the past.

No, I did not base that prediction on the past experiences of other. I don't need something to occur to make an educated prediction. I need only look at the puzzle's pieces. Glass is sharp. Glass shards passing through a soft flesh body will cause internal bleeding. Therefore logic is applied and a negitive result predicted. In this case the pieces are FTB, Forge and Curse. I don't question the integrity of FTB,or Forge however, Curse is a company and would never involve themselves in something that doesn't result in profit. While this may officially be a partnership it is imperative to remember Curse has the upper hand. If down the road Curse starts acting out of favor there is little that can be done. Now please don't confuse me for someone who hates companies, they are after all the bodies which employee us. However, Curses reputation is rather mixed, and as they continue to expand their hold over minecraft's community, the more obvious their intentions will become. Do I know for certain what will occur? No, but I know enough to remain skeptical.

Last edited:

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
See, the problem is that the FTB often sees the best interests of the community as being money in the pockets of the FTB team leads, so that's not exactly at odds with the negative feedback of the decision. It's a road they've been going down for quite a while.

Back on September 4th, when slow first mentioned that FTB was going to become a business rather than a community, he made a promise.

It feels like the move to a Curse launcher is intended as a way around that promise, by having Curse asking for payment and then sharing the profit.

Don't worry that will never happen. Such action would break Mojang's TOS and invite legal chaos from Sweden. Modpacks, mods, and anything that modifies or extends upon minecraft's code MUST remain free. The threat is not from a price per pack, but from a monopolized community.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry that will never happen. Such action would break Mojang's TOS and invite legal chaos from Sweden. Modpacks, mods, and anything that modifies or extends upon minecraft's code MUST remain free. The threat is not from a price per pack, but from a monopolized community.
I didn't think Mojang would sit idly by while the Minecraft community was raped by adfly, but they did. Why would Curse's "pay us to stop giving you malware" scheme be any different?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have evidence that it's in the best interests of the community, and not the best interests of the FTB dev team?
Nope, call it me believing that they'll do the right thing. They've never done something in the past that impacted the community particularly negatively. Of course, there is always a portion of a community that is upset about any particular decision made, but that can't be helped.

On the money thing, the last I heard was that any money earned by FTB (through donations, ads etc.) goes into developing better things for the community, so that's irrelevant. They'll probably continue to put any profits FTB makes into making better things and in server/system costs etc, like they've always done.

If Curse starts acting out of favour, I'd expect some other group of the community to jump in and create what FTB is currently. Though the glass analogy is now getting old, I feel the need to point out that people didn't know what sharp things did at first, someone tested it and found out.

Curse's involvement is likely going to benefit them mostly through increased visitors, meaning increased ad revenue. I find it hard to believe FTB would agree to Curse charging for modpack/map/texture pack downloads. Of course, I may be completely wrong, but I'm allowed to believe in the team's ability to make the right decisions, and that's not going to change.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
On the money thing, the last I heard was that any money earned by FTB (through donations, ads etc.) goes into developing better things for the community, so that's irrelevant. They'll probably continue to put any profits FTB makes into making better things and in server/system costs etc, like they've always done.
Oh yeah? What better things? The launcher has been pretty stagnant for a while. There's been talk of a new launcher, but it's yet to come, and now we're being told the FTB launcher is being scrapped in favor of the Curse launcher... Is the new launcher even going to come before the move to Curse?

Though the glass analogy is now getting old, I feel the need to point out that people didn't know what sharp things did at first, someone tested it and found out.
On that note, have you ever extensively used a Curse product? They're not some new start-up... They've been around a while, and I think most of us have already had numerous bad experiences with them.

Reactions: Dorque and Padfoote

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't think Mojang would sit idly by while the Minecraft community was raped by adfly, but they did. Why would Curse's "pay us to stop giving you malware" scheme be any different?
An analogy can be made between small fish and a big whale. Curse, and the distribution of modpacks, is of a far greater scale then an individual hobbyist releasing a single mod. The amount made on adfly links is often in the pennies, and not worth the effort to fight. In contrast, an organized attempt to monopolize on minecraft against the ToS would be noticed immediately. Lets also think about this logically. Who in the community would honestly give into paying for a mod pack :p (You and I won't be for sure) All it would take is one person to host the files somewhere else and bam, everything falls apart. I honestly believe if anything negative does comes about it won't because of cost, but because of a more restricted community.

Status
Not open for further replies.