Your Mob Traps/Grinders

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I'm absolutely obsessed with Soul Shard mob grinders. In fact, on many FTB servers I've gone to I've made that my entire business. However, I want to create some more creative and more complicated than they need to be grinders, as doing the same thing over and over again gets boring. So I want to see your Mob Grinders for inspiration. I've been thinking about using SC2 turret carts, but I'm not sure if that would be efficient at all.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Im just getting into mob grinders. What do you farm that is useful though? ive read that you need to use deployers to get minium shards? And other than those, ender pearls and blaze rods are useful, but what do you do with the more simple mod drops? Bone meal is handy but I cant see wanting a chest full of it. String, spider eyes, zombie skin... not really useful in mass quantities.

So what do you farm for?

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I farm for Pigmen, Skellies, Creepers, and Blazes. I've used most types in the past, but those four are what I use most often. I've never used Deployers in a farm before, but melee turtles drop them as well. And all that stuff that you have no use for can either be processed into UU matter or simply shot into a Void Pipe. If you ever get any armor/weapons that you don't want (Not counting Bows or Stone Swords) I suggest putting them into an alloy furnace for their materials. On a server I just started on, I created a Pigman farm that's probably the least efficient in history, but is extremely fun. Pigmen drop down a hole, into a 2*1*1 hole filled with water. Then, a piston pushes, blocking them in. Then they all drown simultaneously with one hideous shriek.

I've also been trying to find a good layout for a Ghast farm, without any luck.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
For ghasts, high energy pellets from Portal gun will work wonders.

High energy pellets work wonders on most mobs anyway.

Except endermen and witches - endermen teleport away and witches don't drop stuff if killed by them.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I'm quite sure that HEP launchers have a blast resistance at least that of cobble, and you can just use cobble for the containment area.

Obsidian pipes, if powered will suck stuff in an area around them based on the power supplied, and this will go through walls.
So a big box, with HEP launchers killing ghasts as soon as they spawn, courtesy of a "vanilla timer", with nothing exposed but cobble.
The drops will drop to the ground and you can use obsidian pipes with 4 redstone engines to such up the drops.

Nothing breakable.
In guessing your on 1.4.7, if you have a tier 5 Ghast spawner.
What was it before?
Pig?
Zombie?

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Skelly s , witches, endermen,slime,blaze, chickens,cows all hooked up to a computer . Some are killed by dropping, ones that's cant do that are killed by turtles. They all get collected and sent to various ender chest . Once there is room in a certain ender chest the computer turns the appropriate spawner on to fill that ender chest . Then in my base I have all these ender chest hooked up via storage bus :)

Jemjem787

Jul 29, 2019
I just place the spawner in midair in a quarry hole and put transposers at the bottom. They just feed into my chest room. Probably the easiest and cheapest design to make.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
But just dropping them wont drop shards of minium, correct? These are the drops I want most, other than blaze rods and ender pearls I guess.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Aww, i just ended up losing my old world which had it.

Pretty much it was a dark room with loads of tracks including embarking, then the mobs world be dropped off into a grinder.
Was pretty cool :D

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I have used turtles endlessly and they have never ever dropped minium shards. The only way I know to get them without a looting III sword is magic bees in 1.5.2 has a bee that produces minium shards.

Jemjem787

Jul 29, 2019
I have used turtles endlessly and they have never ever dropped minium shards. The only way I know to get them without a looting III sword is magic bees in 1.5.2 has a bee that produces minium shards.

Im not sure i understood this right, but you can get minimum shards without a looting III sword.

Reactions: shockwave95

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the MineFactory Reloaded grinder and auto spawner. It works well with just about all of the mobs in the game. I've had no problem killing ghasts with them. You use a safari net to capture the mob in question, then place in the auto-spawner along with mob essence and MJ, and you have mobs spawn. the latest version of MFR will not kill mobs created by soul shards, so you need another way to generate your mob essence. A chicken farm or other passive breeder is a good way to do it. It also no longer has the rare drops, so no more infinite enchanted weapons, but still nice.

If you pair a mob farm with GregTech, there are lots of ways of using the drops. Rotten flesh can be turned into methane and burned in a boiler or converted into EU directly. Most of the other drops also have a way to make the drops a bit more useful.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the MineFactory Reloaded grinder and auto spawner. It works well with just about all of the mobs in the game. I've had no problem killing ghasts with them. You use a safari net to capture the mob in question, then place in the auto-spawner along with mob essence and MJ, and you have mobs spawn. the latest version of MFR will not kill mobs created by soul shards, so you need another way to generate your mob essence. A chicken farm or other passive breeder is a good way to do it. It also no longer has the rare drops, so no more infinite enchanted weapons, but still nice.

If you pair a mob farm with GregTech, there are lots of ways of using the drops. Rotten flesh can be turned into methane and burned in a boiler or converted into EU directly. Most of the other drops also have a way to make the drops a bit more useful.

There is a way of making mob essence from your own exp. You have to have empty buckets in your inventory so it is impractical but if you have brains in jars on your soul shards spawners you will be able to get a bit of mob essence with your character is the intermediary. I seem to remember powercrystals talking about introducing a more efficient way of converting your exp into mob essence too.

Spider eyes are also useful for Steve's carts. You need quite a lot to get any galgadorian stuff.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
There is a way of making mob essence from your own exp. You have to have empty buckets in your inventory so it is impractical but if you have brains in jars on your soul shards spawners you will be able to get a bit of mob essence with your character is the intermediary. I seem to remember powercrystals talking about introducing a more efficient way of converting your exp into mob essence too.

Spider eyes are also useful for Steve's carts. You need quite a lot to get any galgadorian stuff.
He should talk to the author of Chargeing Pads. Have a pad where you step on it and it drains your exp, and outputs liquid essence. That would be cool

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Imm
He should talk to the author of Chargeing Pads. Have a pad where you step on it and it drains your exp, and outputs liquid essence. That would be cool
Immibis' mod, liquid xp, has a machine that automatically turns your xp into the liquid xp which is similar to mob essence. I think there is a plan to do something like that but I can't be certain

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Im using two different kinds of grinders:

The first one is at my own base utilizing "Cursed Earth" from Extra Utilities and 3 MFR grinders in a row. This gets me all the brains, string, slimeballs (...) or gunpowder I could possibly ever need. Basically a 15x5 field of cursed earth and the three grinders do the rest. Energy in and items/mob essence out is done via tesseracts. But cursed earth only spawns the basic overworld mobs, so no witches, blazes and such. On the plus side, the grinders make short work of Endermen, too.

The second system is set up as a public spawner room on the server, this one handles the more.. specific mobs. As of now, it has T5-SoulShards for Zombies (will be replaced with Angry Zombies one of these days), Witherskeletons and Blazes. The T5 for witches is in the works. Set up is using Soulshards to spawn the mobs, MFR conveyor belts to gather the mobs up in front of two CC melee-turtles that kill them. The occuring XP orbs that are caused by a turtlekill are gathered with a LXP gatherer from Immibis. This method kills mobs just fine but will not kill Endermen. For those, I have two stacks of quicksand in my AE system, which are going to be a drowning Enderender, once I finish the Witch-T5 Shard. ;)

I could add in images if anyone is interested.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Im using two different kinds of grinders:

The first one is at my own base utilizing "Cursed Earth" from Extra Utilities and 3 MFR grinders in a row. This gets me all the brains, string, slimeballs (...) or gunpowder I could possibly ever need. Basically a 15x5 field of cursed earth and the three grinders do the rest. Energy in and items/mob essence out is done via tesseracts. But cursed earth only spawns the basic overworld mobs, so no witches, blazes and such. On the plus side, the grinders make short work of Endermen, too.

The second system is set up as a public spawner room on the server, this one handles the more.. specific mobs. As of now, it has T5-SoulShards for Zombies (will be replaced with Angry Zombies one of these days), Witherskeletons and Blazes. The T5 for witches is in the works. Set up is using Soulshards to spawn the mobs, MFR conveyor belts to gather the mobs up in front of two CC melee-turtles that kill them. The occuring XP orbs that are caused by a turtlekill are gathered with a LXP gatherer from Immibis. This method kills mobs just fine but will not kill Endermen. For those, I have two stacks of quicksand in my AE system, which are going to be a drowning Enderender, once I finish the Witch-T5 Shard. ;)

I could add in images if anyone is interested.

I have to admit, +2 for uniqueness