Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraboy

Jul 29, 2019
The most striking difference is that the Mindcrack community is far more mature than the Yogscast community. Every basket is going to have a couple of bad eggs but for the majority they are A-OK. I'd also wager the Mindcrack community would fit into the FTB world a great deal easier but that's an assumption more than anything.

This isn't to say every child or younger viewer of the Yogscast is loud and brassen as I know many are not but you don't need to dig too far to see a good example of what the general populous can be like.

Just please, for the love of all that is good in this world, do not let PewDiePie anywhere near this... Words cannot describe how much I loathe him and his fanboys.

I dont understand how it makes a difference if any of these people decide to play ftb, its either a single player game or a small server based game, either way you cant be effected by people you dont know deciding to play the same game as you.

Id also like to apolagise to anyone who read my last post as i usually stay out of threads such as this, i guess it just kind of annoyed me to see ftb's community actively wanting people to not play because they may have differing opinions to your own.

(This also sounds angrier than it should do so heres a doggy)

1904163-courage_a.jpg

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is far from what I thought these forums were like before I read it. Some of the posters in this thread make the the FtB community out to be very arrogant and elitist. I am not a fan of people complaining about mods etc but I am less of a fan of people thinking they are better then someone else because they play a different mod pack. A secret club called 'no dogs allowed' seems school playground stuff.

There are people like that in every online crowd. Every time there's a chance of a sudden growth surge in population the NIMBYs get all riled up demanding protections from the undesirables that are about to flood the place. This thread I thought would be about the impact it would have on FTB...not the forums, the mod pack and it's reach...if the Yogscast did an FTB series. Instead it's mostly about selfish people trying to protect the forums from...zomfg....young people.

Just strikes me as a bit hypocritical, all the people swinging the praises of the FTB team but as soon as word gets around that the pack could come front and center as a series watched by 500k+ people, screw the pack...PROTECT THE FORUMS!

Reactions: Zmaster27 and Martz

Martz

Jul 29, 2019
All of the complains about a YogsCast influx could be solved by the community and it's moderators.

Sure, it would be more work to moderate the forums with a load of inexperienced people posting "ridiculous questions". That has to scale up just like the server resources that are needed to run this site.

We just need some positive attitudes and peoples willingness to help less experienced people learn.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
There are people like that in every online crowd. Every time there's a chance of a sudden growth surge in population the NIMBYs get all riled up demanding protections from the undesirables that are about to flood the place. This thread I thought would be about the impact it would have on FTB...not the forums, the mod pack and it's reach...if the Yogscast did an FTB series. Instead it's mostly about selfish people trying to protect the forums from...zomfg....young people.

Just strikes me as a bit hypocritical, all the people swinging the praises of the FTB team but as soon as word gets around that the pack could come front and center as a series watched by 500k+ people, screw the pack...PROTECT THE FORUMS!

Was it the tekkit thread where you went full flame war?

Reactions: canilsen

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think age has anything to do with it. Simply put, the larger the population, the larger number of trolls. Take 30 minutes reading this forum, then head over to the Tekkit forums; I think you'll notice a difference. Now, there are plenty of useful posts and helpful people there, but you have to wade through a lot more chaff to get to the wheat, if you will. You'll find the same thing on most large forums; World of Warcraft, the official Minecraft forum, what have you.

One possibility, perhaps an introduction to FTB forum in which anyone can post, mainly for getting started and whatnot, that is heavily moderated, and the remainder of the forums be read only until you have, say 10 approved posts?

In the end, I think more people playing and supporting FTB is absolutely a good thing, and any downsides can be dealt with eventually.

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
you cant be effected by people you dont know deciding to play the same game as you.

Everyone here plays the same game and none of us know each-other but each one of us can affect others through what or how we post on the forums. If there was no focal point I would agree with your statement but as it stands if someone wants to say something they will go and say it here. Don't get me wrong; there is nothing wrong with someone speaking their mind but it would be best for everyone if the person making the topic or post could do so with some grace in-mind. Shouting via caps-lock, stringing several emotes together for no reason and cursing profusely is not exactly what FTB-users want to be seeing when they next pop on to the forums.

Basically, I'm all for the popularity boost if the Yogscast get in on this but I hope the moderators are ready for what their community might bring.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Zivel, you slightly misunderstand. We are, "Hopefully" acting Arrogant and Elitist mainly for ironic purposes, and the fact that we have foresigh allows us to glean what could happen, for say the yogscast made a series on Feed the Beast.

Reactions: SerTrollface

Confidential1207

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike spam/trolls/haters and the Yogscast doing a series using FTB is most likely to bring all of that to here. I have no problem with FTB becoming more popular, the amount of spam really irritates me.

Jul 29, 2019
It's entirely up to the Yogscast whether to move to FTB. They've only just upgraded to the current version of Tekkit though, which is positively prehistoric in modded monecraft terms. I wouldn't expect anything to happen soon.

As long as we can still download the mod packs it makes no difference to me. Forums always turn into swamps eventually, no matter what you do, with or without Tekkit fans. :)

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
Which the moderators can easily handle. Not a problem.

I don't doubt that the moderators on the forum will do a good job, because they currently do. But just keep in mind that some of the yogscast videos get 1 million unique views, and let's say 15% of those people decide to register on the forums. that would mean that these FTB forums, would receive an influx of 1000% of the current amount of members. There would be almost no way for the current amount of moderators to be able to control that.

This thread is far from what I thought these forums were like before I read it. Some of the posters in this thread make the the FtB community out to be very arrogant and elitist. I am not a fan of people complaining about mods etc but I am less of a fan of people thinking they are better then someone else because they play a different mod pack. A secret club called 'no dogs allowed' seems school playground stuff.

It's hard to specify such a subject, when the OP just said, what if the yogscast made videos for FTB, what do you think? People will then voice their opinions, on what they think about the yogscast and if they made videos for this mod pack.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the Yogscast for a variety of reasons, I don't like a vast majority of what I see coming out of their community, and I think the Yogscast have a tendency to misrepresent mods (and maps) and make them appear worse than they are. I have no interest in seeing FTB sites and the launcher host any content related to them.

BUT

That's not my decision, nor would I agree with barring specific people or groups from FTB or the community. I may not like them, but I'm not going to call for segregation. I'd sooner try to grin and bear it.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
...until someone mentions Gregtech, then all bets are off.off.

You sir, just made my day. I am in agreement with everyone that these are some of the nicest forums around, and I'd like for it to stay that way. The only group of minecrafters are really dislike are the elitist guys on the MCF who proclaim that unless you can build your own modpack, you don't DESERVE to play mods. What a bunch of pricks, but MCF is also a real crappy place most of the time, so it's a moot point. Hooray for well-moderated forums!

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
You sir, just made my day. I am in agreement with everyone that these are some of the nicest forums around, and I'd like for it to stay that way. The only group of minecrafters are really dislike are the elitist guys on the MCF who proclaim that unless you can build your own modpack, you don't DESERVE to play mods. What a bunch of pricks, but MCF is also a real crappy place most of the time, so it's a moot point. Hooray for well-moderated forums!

Glad I could be of service....lol

MagnaFire39

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I did hear one time of Sjin hinting about switching to FTB in one of their Tekkit series videos (mostly a joke he made while complaining about the lack of Crafting Table 3 on the latest version of Tekkit). Even if there are problems regarding ill-informed Yogscast fanboys hating on FTB without even researching it because they're used to seeing Tekkit gameplay, I think it's all the better for it. Watching these videos, I can't help but feel frustrated that the Yogscast would still cling to using outdated versions of popular mods in their current series after seeing how infinitely better (and more legal) FTB mod pack is even if they should at least a stack of jaffa cakes or more before they end the series and move on. They could even make their own modpack for all I care.

If there's anything I would like to advise them on before doing so, I would advise that they really study up on the wikis and all that before committing. At least it will ensure themselves and their fans that FTB is nothing like Tekkit and that they can see that the ways they need to do things are not the same as what they did in Tekkit.

They did make there own modpack: The Yogbox

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
They did make there own modpack: The Yogbox

I watched Duncan play the Yogbox and I wanted to use it as well but I never got it to work with the modpack that shall not be named...lol. I hope they'll create an Adventure themed pack as well.

SerTrollface

Jul 29, 2019
There was a period where it was full of ads threads, I don't know if it still is, because now I visit it only to see the news ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.