Ya know what FTB needs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Someone should add a boss battle with some actual thinking required please. I mean, the wither and every other Ars Magica 2 mob just spams attacks and you spam attacks and it's a battle of spam then run then spam then run. There should be a boss that sits around for a while, attacks sometimes, does things in patterns, etc. like boss battles in RPG games and such. And damage done to the boss should be capped to a certain extent, they should heal / be able to heal, and stuff like that. That way it feels like a battle rather than a desperate hit and run type of thing.

Reactions: acker and Padfoote

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Someone should add a boss battle with some actual thinking required please. I mean, the wither and every other Ars Magica 2 mob just spams attacks and you spam attacks and it's a battle of spam then run then spam then run. There should be a boss that sits around for a while, attacks sometimes, does things in patterns, etc. like boss battles in RPG games and such. And damage done to the boss should be capped to a certain extent, they should heal / be able to heal, and stuff like that. That way it feels like a battle rather than a desperate hit and run type of thing.
I chunn has said his plans for the morph boss are similar to that

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I think it needs more interaction. I'm not talking about community, community is good. I'm talking about game. When I play single player, I feel alone. Villagers has no effect on me. They are just making weird noices. Mobs... Peh. 1 hit. For example I killed Hydra without getting hit. Game needs to be harder, to be more... complex.

Yes! It needs to be more complex so that way we will interact much more. That way we will think a lot more. Sometimes we will fail sometimes not. It needs to be equivalent with us.[DOUBLEPOST=1391205320][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nope. It should be this :)
Would you be okay if I stalked you a bit on this site now? I love that song!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Try AM2 boss fights. It's that in a nutshell for none of them, really. They do crazy shit sometimes. The first one you're told about has to be summoned in a biome that's mostly water in a rainshower(might be thunderstorm) and it's a easy fight... until he splits. Now there are three of him, only one of which you can damage, and two of which that damage YOU when you hit them. It's a shell game at that point(ergo I win all but by default). At the complete other end of the "how dead am I if this guy is nearby?" scale, we have the Fire Boss, who you are suggested to be level 90 when fighting. Magic level 90. Spoiler alert: You run out of levels to gain at 99. Magic level 99.
He can heal, he can kite like a baws, attack patterns that make him all but impossible to hit(and you have to hit him to break him out of them), he lights sick fires all over the place, is healed by fire(naturally), has Firestorm, the Silver tier fire spell and he uses it as much to kill and ruin you as he uses it to light sick fires and heal himself... The guy is insane.
Someone is asking for help fighting him in their (I presume) SSP world. I'm assuming he isn't so daunting when you have magic level 99, give or take ten levels.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think this would be a good theme. It's definitely fitting for the proper perspective o. Your personal game play choices

Plus I'm just in a New Jack Swing kinda mood

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, I think that we should revisit that idea of a mascot. It's a good idea in it's own right. I think it also provides an opportunity to get more people involve in the community by perhaps hosting a "Create the FTB Mascot" Contest. There's a lot of good artists in the community and I think that if given the opportunity a bunch of them would stand up and say "Hey! Check this out! I drew this awesome piece of SWAG!" It could also provide an opportunity for an aspiring artist to really strut their stuff. Anyone else agree with me, or am I just plain crazy?

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
As a hobbyist musician seeing all of this playful argument about themes, I'm kind of wondering whether or not I should write a theme for you guys.

I even have some ideas for how it would go :D

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
As a hobbyist musician seeing all of this playful argument about themes, I'm kind of wondering whether or not I should write a theme for you guys.

I even have some ideas for how it would go :D

See? There's awesome people here! It's entirely possible that a contest could happen!

Reactions: NegaNote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Erm, Twilight Forest?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: hiroshi42

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Erm, Twilight Forest?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Twilight Forest is kinda MEH what with all the lag it creates for servers clients as well as being somewhat irritating with it's visible WIP features. I'm of the opinion that you should be making your WIP stuff invisible until it is no longer the case.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest is kinda MEH what with all the lag it creates for servers clients as well as being somewhat irritating with it's visible WIP features. I'm of the opinion that you should be making your WIP stuff invisible until it is no longer the case.
The Twilight Forest has bosses that have attack patterns and actually require strategy to fight. The thing about those bosses is, if you're good enough, you can avoid their attack patterns and beat them with fairly weak equipment. Most other mods just make strong mobs by giving them lots of hp and powerful attacks, which is boring, and poor design. For those bosses, you either have super gear and beat them easily, or not good enough gear and die. Those bosses simply require grinding to beat, as opposed to strategy or actual combat skill. Twilight forest bosses are designed with attack patterns, weak points, and an overall Zelda-esque fighting style that makes them fun. Unfortunately, since the Twilight Forest is clearly balanced around vanilla difficulty, the powerful weapons and armor many mods in ftb add make short work of the bosses and dungeons, removing the need for strategy, and taking away much of the fun.

That said, I agree about the lag and WIP structures. Those are annoying.