Ya know what FTB needs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Before I give my opinion, I should state that before you ask a questin with this much depth, you should provide your own thoughts, otherwise this'll go nowhere.
Second, this thread is probably better placed in the General FTB Chat subforum of which I'm sure a post like this already exists.

Finally; my answer: Less focus on balance, more focus on fun.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Before I give my opinion, I should state that before you ask a questin with this much depth, you should provide your own thoughts, otherwise this'll go nowhere.
Second, this thread is probably better placed in the General FTB Chat subforum of which I'm sure a post like this already exists.

For most people, balance and fun are the same thing.

What I feel FTB needs more of is patience from the community. Often we forget that these people are volunteers doing what they do in their spare time. They aren't "hired" by FTB, they are here by because of the love they have for FTB and it's community. A great community at that. We just need to show a little more patience with them. Try not to rush them so much. I realize that FTB may take a little more time than other people at pushing out modpacks, or a launcher. But the quality of the stuff FTB puts out is top notch in my opinion. And if that takes a little bit more time, then so be it.

Other than that, I think FTB needs a mascot. I don't know why, I just do. :p

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
For most people, balance and fun are the same thing.

What I feel FTB needs more of is patience from the community. Often we forget that these people are volunteers doing what they do in their spare time. They aren't "hired" by FTB, they are here by because of the love they have for FTB and it's community. A great community at that. We just need to show a little more patience with them. Try not to rush them so much. I realize that FTB may take a little more time than other people at pushing out modpacks, or a launcher. But the quality of the stuff FTB puts out is top notch in my opinion. And if that takes a little bit more time, then so be it.

Other than that, I think FTB needs a mascot. I don't know why, I just do. :p
To be fair people would be more patient if the answer to most if not all questions regarding ETA requests wasn't "When it's ready". I appreciate what the team does, but I, at risk of sounding rude, found their community addresses lacking and in some cases condescending and/or thoughtless.

Reactions: RedBoss

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
More RBG Modpacks (hin hint nudge nudge both better dungeons and divine rpg have been updated to 1.6)

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
FTB, in my honest opinion, is good so far. You can, however, modify it for your own pleasures if you do not think it suits you in its current form. Config files are really easy to grasp <3

Pentatonix

Jul 29, 2019
What FTB needs is support FOR OPTIFINE! So many people dont have a beast of a computer. I had an old laptop with a penetium proccessor and intel HD graphics. it was horrible. I would install optifine and would get good FPS but then it would crash because it does NOT support optifine. Just something i hope they would support.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

Do I not offer this with packs like Horizons? As far as Monster is concerned, I use a very loose form of balance with it. Very loose.

What FTB needs is support FOR OPTIFINE! So many people dont have a beast of a computer. I had an old laptop with a penetium proccessor and intel HD graphics. it was horrible. I would install optifine and would get good FPS but then it would crash because it does NOT support optifine. Just something i hope they would support.

This has nothing to do with FTB. Optifine does not work well with some mods and there is nothing we can do about it.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Pentatonix

Jul 29, 2019
Do I not offer this with packs like Horizons? As far as Monster is concerned, I use a very loose form of balance with it. Very loose.

This has nothing to do with FTB. Optifine does not work well with some mods and there is nothing we can do about it.
oh, i was told that the FTB would never support it.. What i heard. Oh well :p

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Well my initial thought of Horizons was that it was centered around spotlighting mods that wouldn't normally be included in packs but I suppose you could say there's a loose sense of balance.
Regardless that doesn't shift focus away from those who've been slowly conditioned to complain about balance and thus demand balance changes. Don't think I haven't seen the Dyes Tree issue for a start.

I don't care if you want balanced or imbalanced but Minecraft's a sandbox game. There should be a choice to take either or both paths.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
oh, i was told that the FTB would never support it.. What i heard. Oh well :p
It's not supported because there are fundamental incompatibilities between how Forge does rendering and how Optifine does rendering. This causes some mods to have major issues with Optifine. It's to the point where some mod authors won't even look at your crash log/bug report if you have Optifine installed.

If you can get Optifine to work with a modpack without it crashing or degrading you down to single digit FPS, great! But Optifine acts differently for everyone: some people say they can't play without it, others (like me) see MASSIVE FPS degradation, and others still get constant crashes trying to get it running.

So it's impossible for a modpack team to add it, even if they wanted to.