XyCraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to get REALLY slick about it, you could even program something that basically went "If there aren't four planks available, then run 'Planks' which sends one log to get turned into four planks" for iterative-style crafting. CC might also be able to pull this off.
I think WayOfTime made a video of such a system, which I think used a RedPower computer and craftpackets. I could remember wrong though.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
i know project tables are part of rp2 lol, doesnt mean that xycraft cant add a few utilities to it
and yeah when i said mj i wasnt thinking, blutricity is probably much better

Actually, it does mean xycraft can't add a few utilities to it. Modders generally frown on reflecting into the work of other modders to alter their intentions and afaik there isn't an RP2 API to allow that kind of thing.

In other news, I kind of hope Soaryn adds hardmode recipes or a fuel/energy cost to fabricators and tanks. Right now it's pretty seriously unbalanced compared to other mods.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
How are tanks unbalanced? they're a bit less dense storage to make up for the fact that they don't need to be made out of iron like RC tanks do.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
How are tanks unbalanced? they're a bit less dense storage to make up for the fact that they don't need to be made out of iron like RC tanks do.

Time/material-wise they're pretty radically underpriced for their functionality. If you treat the process of making an RC tank as a whole (Mine, Ore Processing, Rolling, Crafting), then compare the time/material investment of a multitank in XyCraft, there's little reason not to just craft two multitanks rather than any size RC tank, setting aside space considerations.

I think Soaryn's ideas are neat, I just would like them to require a little more effort, at least optionally.

E: I should add, re: the two tanks thing, because of how Soaryn has valves working you can functionally combine two large multitanks into one for little to no downside.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
No offense to Soaryn, but at the moment his designs seem to be focused on purely having one mod, XYCraft, so it's not "balanced" when used with other mods.
Even with the ores, they spawn too much. Just see DW20's server play, almost everything they are buidling is from xy ores.

I do hope in time that once all the core systems are in placed, everything is then reviewed in terms of "balance", otherwise the XY world will be a big mass of glow in the dark blocks and laser beams.

Reactions: Carrington

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget that Xycraft tanks also act as liquid transposers, and that they pull from adjacent inventories. This is really cool, but you would generally need power for this and a lot more effort, not to mention space.
I think that in order to belance this, valves would need to be very valuable or consume quite a bit of energy.
I would simply make a few tiers of them, and make them upgradable. The various functions (balancing between tanks, filling buckets, filling from adjacent water, etc.) could simply be accessible in higher tiers.
The lowest tier would be a simple valve like in Railcraft. Cheaper and cooler, but less space efficient.

Reactions: Carrington

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
They may require a significant power investment, once the power systems are in that is or at least that is what I am hoping. If you look at them they seem to be a "powercage" around the blocks that make the structure which would make quite a bit of sense since they seem to have a lot of "powered" functions output\filing\pulling from inventories also it would make sense from a theme standpoint of the mod itself, lasers\forcefields\holograms, very very high tech stuff.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
but you don't craft the packets, the machine crafts the packets.

The packets are the only thing that can be automated on the "add recipe to machine" end. If you want to add an item to any autocrafting design other then a craft packet design you have to add more machine. If you want to add to the craft packet machine, you type it into the computer, and it's added. You don't even need to edit the program.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
but you don't craft the packets, the machine crafts the packets.

The packets are the only thing that can be automated on the "add recipe to machine" end. If you want to add an item to any autocrafting design other then a craft packet design you have to add more machine. If you want to add to the craft packet machine, you type it into the computer, and it's added. You don't even need to edit the program.
Thanks, I don't think I could have explained how it works as well as that myself.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I give you this picture

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/554529_10200537048493224_846414363_n.jpg

Now, the difference between a craft packet machine and a logistics pipe network is that craft packet automates the "add item to network" function, where as logistics requires you to expand it, over and over.

So at some point you will have done so much work adding things to the logistics network, that it would have been easier to make the craft maker.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Well technically it's 9 craftpacket machines (one for each crafting slot) but the principle is still the same as you describe. I'd still prefer to have a way to do it with one crafting machine and without using lots of paper. But yeah, using a logistics pipe network with one table per recipe is like unrolling a for loop: it's fine for 3 items, but not so much for a dozen or so.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Exactly, or using nested IF's instead of a case statement.

If I was actually making one, I'd try to setup a self fueled reed/paper farm. With some of the reeds being paper, and the rest biofuel to run the farm.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well technically it's 9 craftpacket machines (one for each crafting slot) but the principle is still the same as you describe. I'd still prefer to have a way to do it with one crafting machine and without using lots of paper. But yeah, using a logistics pipe network with one table per recipe is like unrolling a for loop: it's fine for 3 items, but not so much for a dozen or so.
And what, precisely, is the advantage in making craftpackets for single items when you can just use the items themselves and save yourself the paper?

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
And what, precisely, is the advantage in making craftpackets for single items when you can just use the items themselves and save yourself the paper?
It's possible to use them to automate easily without needing a custom setup for each item. So, if you want to make a factory for EVERYTHING you can do that, while if you want to use autocrafting tables from BC you need a table and resources to make at least one of the item, for every item you plan to make, as well as the resources for either lots of piping or logistics pipes. Craftpackets can be automatically moved by a sortron as well, so all you need is programming knowledge and a steady supply of reeds to make a factory, no time required to collect the items or put them together yourself - which comes in handy if, for example, you want to make something with a lot of parts (like a GraviSuit)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It's possible to use them to automate easily without needing a custom setup for each item. So, if you want to make a factory for EVERYTHING you can do that, while if you want to use autocrafting tables from BC you need a table and resources to make at least one of the item, for every item you plan to make, as well as the resources for either lots of piping or logistics pipes. Craftpackets can be automatically moved by a sortron as well, so all you need is programming knowledge and a steady supply of reeds to make a factory, no time required to collect the items or put them together yourself - which comes in handy if, for example, you want to make something with a lot of parts (like a GraviSuit)
Okay, this? I don't understand. Because you're just going to have to craft it anyways, so how does this make it any easier? How does this bypass needing crafting tables to do crafting?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I'm obviously missing something here too. An end-to-end example would be much appreciated.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
That's just it, in the automated system, you don't. You don't have to craft the packets, you don't have to craft the item, the computer can do all of it.

If you automated it using logistics pipes, you'd have to put it in the tables (craft it once) and then request it ... so you still have to craft it once.

In theory you could get a copy of a craft packet program already made with every item in the game in it.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
That's just it, in the automated system, you don't. You don't have to craft the packets, you don't have to craft the item, the computer can do all of it.

If you automated it using logistics pipes, you'd have to put it in the tables (craft it once) and then request it ... so you still have to craft it once.

In theory you could get a copy of a craft packet program already made with every item in the game in it.
You'ed have to show me something like this to sell it to me. as a valid idea..

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost
Status
Not open for further replies.