XP and Power farm!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing on my favorite whitelisted server yesterday and visited a friends house, to my surprise they were still using generators! I looked around and spotted a blaze spawner in the corner surrounded by water, then 2 melee turtles finished them off. Using a brain in a jar, the XP was kept, then using either a transposer or a Obsidian pipe the blaze rods where transported to the generators, supplying a infinite source of energy!

Info for building this setup:
Tier 4 or 5 blaze spawner or another mob that drops fuel
A smallish part of your house for the spawner
Pipes or tubes
At least 5 generators

The water is used to push the blazes to the Melee turtles, and the drops into the pipe/transposer

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, DRH1469, although this is a fairly well known source of energy. Blaze rods were also "nerfed" in the last update, so you are better off with wither skeletons for coal, or a Steve's Cart tree farm. But either way, it's nice watching blazes die! Perhaps not hearing them, though.

EDIT: This does not apply to generators, and was corrected later. Hopefully this edit will stop DoctorOr from making another post referencing this one, again.

Reactions: DRH1469

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, DRH1469, although this is a fairly well known source of energy. Blaze rods were also "nerfed" in the last update, so you are better off with wither skeletons for coal, or a Steve's Cart tree farm. But either way, it's nice watching blazes die! Perhaps not hearing them, though.
I hate the sound of them dying, but by what do you mean nerfed?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
nerfed or not any infinite power source is just that infinite. Just need to add a storage array and as long as you don't need crazy power all the time just store up and use as needed. More so on a server where a 1 chunk spot loader can have you racking up power for days while your off doing anything else.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I hate the sound of them dying, but by what do you mean nerfed?

It actually only applies to boilers, I think, but the heat value of blaze rods was cut down to 25% of the original value. I am not sure if generators utilize that value, or not, but if they do, whenever that server updates they will end up with 25% of the power output, roughly.

And the dying sound works wonders for me to keep me away from that part of my base, which was one of the main reasons I made it. Now I don't idle around my MystCraft library.

~~~

nerfed or not any infinite power source is just that infinite. Just need to add a storage array and as long as you don't need crazy power all the time just store up and use as needed. More so on a server where a 1 chunk spot loader can have you racking up power for days while your off doing anything else.
The problem is when you have an energy sink, such as a matter fabricator (yes, this is MJs, so it does not directly apply) which will eat all of your stored energy if you (properly) wire it up.
And, of course, MJ aren't very easy to store. Either redstone energy cells, a lava tank, or a million steam tanks are the ways to do that.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
It actually only applies to boilers, I think, but the heat value of blaze rods was cut down to 25% of the original value. I am not sure if generators utilize that value, or not, but if they do, whenever that server updates they will end up with 25% of the power output, roughly.

And the dying sound works wonders for me to keep me away from that part of my base, which was one of the main reasons I made it. Now I don't idle around my MystCraft library.
I live next to the person who made it, I ended up hooking a Redpower cable so that I could turn it off when I wanted to

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I live next to the person who made it, I ended up hooking a Redpower cable so that I could turn it off when I wanted to

Nice. Maybe hook up a few redstone energy cells so you have a power buffer, and when blaze rods stop working as well, you can sell MJs back to them at a profit! Muahah!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
You sure that the generator value has been nerfed as well? I haven't updated yet, but I was hoping it's only railcraft.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
You sure that the generator value has been nerfed as well? I haven't updated yet, but I was hoping it's only railcraft.

Nope, I am not. In fact, I'd think it was only the "heat value" which is railcraft, so this shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully!

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. Maybe hook up a few redstone energy cells so you have a power buffer, and when blaze rods stop working as well, you can sell MJs back to them at a profit! Muahah!
Good idea! I just went back on now and she had 8 MFSU's getting powered then going into an array into her mat fab and machines

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea! I just went back on now and she had 8 MFSU's getting powered then going into an array into her mat fab and machines

Arg, right, generators for EU, not MJ. Yeah, that should be good, and she should be safe come the next update assuming it is only the railcraft heat value.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Arg, right, generators for EU, not MJ. Yeah, that should be good, and she should be safe come the next update assuming it is only the railcraft heat value.

Hopefully as I am discussing sharing power at a cost of me sharing my charging pad which is powered by my solar panels, but I need the extra power for my own matter fab and little quarry system that uses energy tessaracts

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using this setup for a while on the server I frequent. I've got the tier 5 spawner hooked to a router, feeding a bank of 30 generators. I average somewhere between 250-280 EU/t. It's a great early source of power that will carry you all the way to end-game Gregtech, albeit noisy.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using this setup for a while on the server I frequent. I've got the tier 5 spawner hooked to a router, feeding a bank of 30 generators. I average somewhere between 250-280 EU/t. It's a great early source of power that will carry you all the way to end-game Gregtech, albeit noisy.

Wow! I wish there were sound proof walls!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike running many machines at once, generators have a tendency of disconnecting themselves from the energy network when there's too many of 'em and your pc can't handle it.

Which is why I'll probably abandon blazes completely.

I wish there was a chemicall process which could turn these rare fuels into a smaller quantity of way more efficient fuels which could be only burned in a very specific generator that would however give you a much better output. Really, why aren't there any decent 128 - 512 eu/t generators except for bloody solars?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is when you have an energy sink, such as a matter fabricator (yes, this is MJs, so it does not directly apply) which will eat all of your stored energy if you (properly) wire it up.
And, of course, MJ aren't very easy to store. Either redstone energy cells, a lava tank, or a million steam tanks are the ways to do that.

Don't have a sink??? What do you need a fab for that you can not get out of normal game play?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Don't have a sink??? What do you need a fab for that you can not get out of normal game play?

I'm playing MindCrack, so UU matter which I COULD technically find in dungeon chests. It also has a DIRECT use in sunnaranium (I butchered that, sorry!) for hybrid solar panels. Besides that, though, I really like the look of UU matter, and am thinking of adding the "liquid UU matter" mod so I can have that stuff floating around in tanks. Yes, I am "special", hahah.

stackable, placeable lava/water
Ah, that too! Much easier to deal with for placing loads of lava/water. But extremely expensive.