Wrath Lamp - your experience or alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Also: Nice use of what i presume is chisel. Makes me want to install it again and maybe do something fancy with my base instead of just making another tower.

Having a lot of fun with chisel. Not trying to go overboard but finding the right block for each situation is a minigame all of its own. Still very much a work in progress, as you can see, but when you get the right combo you just go "ahh, nice." I especially like some of the iron bars and glass options. Oh, and the builders wand from Extra Utilities has really come in handy.

Damnit. Now I am compelled to push the Thermal Expansion 3 strongboxes in the next update of Faithful. Those things are ugly.

Thanks for updating the marble textures DZ - and all your work on Faithful. It's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
I have used Wrathlamps in droves in lots of builds and never noticed any problems. It has up to date been my favourite method of lighting.
You can see many examples of me using them here:
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
As you can see I use them for vast exterior areas, overlapping areas, interiors. Everywhere where I need a large area lit.

Just make sure to place them 8 blocks away from anything that needs to grow. Their invisible lightsources can interfere with growth of crops and saplings etc.
Insane!

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for updating the marble textures DZ - and all your work on Faithful. It's greatly appreciated.

I did the strongboxes. If your one of the people that downloads the pack manually from the site we host on, then the latest pack has them. If you get your Faithful pack from the launcher, it could be a few days until I have enough textures done to warrant an update.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I did the strongboxes. If your one of the people that downloads the pack manually from the site we host on, then the latest pack has them. If you get your Faithful pack from the launcher, it could be a few days until I have enough textures done to warrant an update.

Thanks again DZ, you're a star. And congratz to you and your fellow contributors for getting Faithful onto the launcher.

mca.png

We all have our favourite "mods" that we cant live without -- this texture pack is high on my list.

Reactions: groundhog

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the issue with the wrath lamps (and subsequently the arcane lamps) was that the fake light was going inside multiblock structures like railcraft and xycraft tanks and really bugging up things. Other than with multiblock stuff, I dont think it was causing any other issues IIRC.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I think the issue with the wrath lamps (and subsequently the arcane lamps) was that the fake light was going inside multiblock structures like railcraft and xycraft tanks and really bugging up things. Other than with multiblock stuff, I dont think it was causing any other issues IIRC.
It was causing some issues with Thermal expansion recently. And by issues I mean crashing. It's all fixed now though, although the underlying cause of that unpleasantness is still there since it is a base minecraft issue.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, do I get the whole diamond or just my share? As for your actual issue, I am pretty sure Chisel has some glowstone options and depending which pack your playing, there might be Project Red lights which you could hang from the ceiling.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
wrath lamps used to mess with farming, fake light would block growth on some trees/plants. haven't tested since 1.4.7

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
To care about wrath lamps, I would first have to care about Factorization, which is not something I am capable of giving any damns about.

Forge Mutipart covers are transparent blocks. Put any light source behind the cover. You now have flush walls with diffused light. Have a nice day.

So thats why that wall of conduit has light coming from the other side. Was bugging the crap out of me. Do panels block light then? I really wanted that oreberry room to be light level 0 thruought.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have used Wrathlamps in droves in lots of builds and never noticed any problems. It has up to date been my favourite method of lighting.
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
As you can see I use them for vast exterior areas, overlapping areas, interiors. Everywhere where I need a large area lit.

@#$%!

I'm quitting minecraft. Apparently I can't play it at all.

---

btw: What does it look like with the default texture pack?

Last edited:

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv.

I don't want to derail this thread, but in this case I can't resist ... what an awesome base.

Normally the "overpower" bases are really ugly to look at (what's up with this 9x9 cuboid obsession?) but you have built an awesome looking and still extremely powerful base, very well done, although I probably can't log into my world without being disgusted how it looks in comparison. :rolleyes:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you everyone for the lighting comments. As always, you can count on the forum for a diverse set of ideas.

Wait, do I get the whole diamond or just my share?
The whole ... of course. I'll check out those glowstone chisel blocks and maybe incorporate them into a ceiling design for the dome. But its really the walls that need illumination. Wrath lamps may stay for now, but I'll be sure to try out the various ideas above.

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I had Wrath lamps eat a couple diamond gearboxes recently. Wasn't happy. Was on a server, used a pick to break the gearboxes, they disappeared, didn't show up in inven or anywhere. Logged out/back in just in case it was some sort of visual/invtweaks glitch but they were gone. Repeated exactly the same process after removing the wrath lamps in the area and the gearboxes broke/dropped normally.

Might have just been coincidence but I doubt it.

Lately I haven't been putting much lighting in my bases, don't need it with Magnum Torches hidden here and there. Is kind of cool to have most of the lighting come just from my machines/activities.