Would you build this?

• Total voters

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I just did some calculations to determine the absolute maximum power output of the fusion reactor (upper bounds determined by things like melting and emission speed), and it is relevant to this thread's first post:
Now if only we could do this in the real world.
eLIvzZv.png

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
ok a bit of a problem I've come across while building the reactor (legit), these liquid pipes like so will self-destruct, you can see the water where they were, the middle ones are empty for some reason, and all of them were at 1.6MPa before placing the fluiducts, of which the 4 pipes blew up and the middle ones drained.

on repeated testing, it seems to be that the middle ones are causing a kind of fill loop, where the surrounding pipes take in any fluid from any other pipes, but duplicate it continuously inside itself until eventually breaking 2-to-many ticks later.

WXLh0oZ.png

@Reika

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
ok a bit of a problem I've come across while building the reactor (legit), these liquid pipes like so will self-destruct, you can see the water where they were, the middle ones are empty for some reason, and all of them were at 1.6MPa before placing the fluiducts, of which the 4 pipes blew up and the middle ones drained.

on repeated testing, it seems to be that the middle ones are causing a kind of fill loop, where the surrounding pipes take in any fluid from any other pipes, but duplicate it continuously inside itself until eventually breaking 2-to-many ticks later.

WXLh0oZ.png

@Reika
Mine do not even connect to fluiducts, so you are using an old version.
EDIT: Wait, no, the problem is FMP.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Now if only we could do this in the real world.
Indeed so. It appears we've been waiting for fusion power forever. It's been a topic since I was a child, and now I wonder if I'll see it in my lifetime.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed so. It appears we've been waiting for fusion power forever. It's been a topic since I was a child, and now I wonder if I'll see it in my lifetime.
ran across this the other day on the challenges facing fusion as a mainstream working power source.

biggest problem? containment. D-T reactions need heated to 45 million degrees, give or take, inside a reactor. the sun manages it at about a third of that due to sheer volume. but at either temperature, you will have a very fast moving, totally ionized plasma to contain.

to quote the linked article.
At 100 million degrees, for instance, deuterium nuclei have an average velocity of about one million meters per second. Left alone, the plasma would explode to the size of a football field in 0.1 milliseconds

a French project plans on a 480 second burst at 500MW somewhere around 2026, but thermal collection for electricity production will take longer.

but, as the article concludes, we already use fusion for power, under a different name. solar.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Mine do not even connect to fluiducts, so you are using an old version.
EDIT: Wait, no, the problem is FMP.

so ie; you going to fix it in 25h? or at least try to? if there's one thing I know about FMP, it has really crappy tile handling so you _must_ use try-cratch and/or re-scan it each tick or problems arise.

also have you actually fixed the empty string bug in the boilers after V25? this one probably annoys me the most due to the 5-10 minutes it takes for the client to start up, how exactly is this even happening though? you shouldn't be using dynamic strings for variable names, nor should boilers have anything along the lines of owner names, and a lot of cases the later uses a player database anyway so you only ever store a single integer...

reason I ask these things is because mod updating is expensive for me for various reasons, I cant be updating mods every single time a patch comes out.
;)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
so ie; you going to fix it in 25h?
I have fixed it.

also have you actually fixed the empty string bug in the boilers after V25?
Did you read the changelog?

how exactly is this even happening though? you shouldn't be using dynamic strings for variable names, nor should boilers have anything along the lines of owner names, and a lot of cases the later uses a player database anyway so you only ever store a single integer...
This has nothing to do with owners or variable names. Strings are used for NBT data. It is how saving things work.

reason I ask these things is because mod updating is expensive for me for various reasons, I cant be updating mods every single time a patch comes out.
;)
Then you are ineligible for tech support.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
I have fixed it.
awesome

Did you read the changelog?
also have you actually fixed the empty string bug in the boilers _after_ V25?

did also mention it when I updated to V25b...

This has nothing to do with owners or variable names. Strings are used for NBT data. It is how saving things work.

NBT variable names are string types, data is not, which is what's confusing me that you have this bug in the first place when names are only meant to be static/constant/readonly anyway...

Then you are ineligible for tech support.
so is FTB in general, point being?

though I notice the latest version jumps to V25z, any particular reason for the 'z'?
project work has eased off on my side for now so I'll more than likely update my server this week, we just recently went through our seasonal box migration too.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
awesome

did also mention it when I updated to V25b...
I added a try-catch. If that does not catch it, then you will have to wait until 1.7.

NBT variable names are string types, data is not, which is what's confusing me that you have this bug in the first place when names are only meant to be static/constant/readonly anyway...
Fluids are saved as strings and an int. Strings often are data.

so is FTB in general, point being?
As the packs come, yes.

though I notice the latest version jumps to V25z, any particular reason for the 'z'?
Because it is the final 1.6 version.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
I added a try-catch. If that does not catch it, then you will have to wait until 1.7.
Fluids are saved as strings and an int. Strings often are data.
ok that makes more sense, I half forgot about the fluid registry not using IDs, and yea, strings are just integer arrays encapsulated under a different typename (in java that is, other languages use standard ASCII one-byte chars unless you use a special container type)

Because it is the final 1.6 version.
that's what I figured, hope you have good results through updating to 1.7, last I messed with it was quite a few months back and it was very very broken, however should be at least somewhere close to what 1.6 is like, and most things haven't changed bar naming changes, IDs moved to a world-side dictionary and some render alterations. add any other forge changes I haven't seen yet.

looks like Ill get a 1/4 power reactor running just before a world wipe to 1.7... which is a good thing fyi, this is what keeps me entertained.

I am trying to see it and am getting something that is trying to make me dl tapatalk.
Imgur mirror?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/06/thumbnail/9anevymu.jpg

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
that's what I figured, hope you have good results through updating to 1.7, last I messed with it was quite a few months back and it was very very broken, however should be at least somewhere close to what 1.6 is like, and most things haven't changed bar naming changes, IDs moved to a world-side dictionary and some render alterations. add any other forge changes I haven't seen yet.
So far, not good. 17k errors - a lot of which are simple but irritatingly pointless renames, fortunately - but the code is still an obfuscated mess and I absolutely cannot develop without the ability to load and modify the vanilla code at runtime, something the 1.7 gradle s*** was explicitly designed to prevent.

Mikerman

Jul 29, 2019
So far, not good. 17k errors - a lot of which are simple but irritatingly pointless renames, fortunately - but the code is still an obfuscated mess and I absolutely cannot develop without the ability to load and modify the vanilla code at runtime, something the 1.7 gradle s*** was explicitly designed to prevent.
I always hated how mojang claims they support modding yet make it as hard as posible. The nature of minecraft makes the code easily visible, so obfuscating it is just taking a royal s*** on mod developers.

the thing I hate even more is their promise to make a mod API. And they never make it. Instead they give us bunnies (vanilla 1.8)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I always hated how mojang claims they support modding yet make it as hard as posible. The nature of minecraft makes the code easily visible, so obfuscating it is just taking a royal s*** on mod developers.

the thing I hate even more is their promise to make a mod API. And they never make it. Instead they give us bunnies (vanilla 1.8)
Half of my problems can be blamed on the Forge team.

Reactions: immibis

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Bunnies?
-_-