Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
but the forge team has to sort through all the mess, mojang should help the forge team or even better, forge should be part of minecraft itself[DOUBLEPOST=1407359382][/DOUBLEPOST]
i know... Though i like the killer rabit (rare spawn). Can kill you in 2 hits
Minecraft is obfuscated. Mojang isn't going to change that, Forge will be here until the mod API is here. I wish Mojang'd just stop updating and start working on Minecraft 2, preferably with a mod API.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
but the forge team has to sort through all the mess, mojang should help the forge team or even better, forge should be part of minecraft itself[DOUBLEPOST=1407359382][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I say that I mean that they are the ones who decided on the gradle system ("only idiot modders need to edit vanilla code") and did not bother deobfuscating most of it.
It could have been worse. From my early discussions with them, the original plan was to leave the vanilla/forge code entirely hidden and inaccessible. When pressed as to how it would be possible to continue to make mods, and for new modders to get started, the responses were "Do you not remember the code?" and "New modders are annoying" respectively.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
When I say that I mean that they are the ones who decided on the gradle system ("only idiot modders need to edit vanilla code") and did not bother deobfuscating most of it.
It could have been worse. From my early discussions with them, the original plan was to leave the vanilla/forge code entirely hidden and inaccessible. When pressed as to how it would be possible to continue to make mods, and for new modders to get started, the responses were "Do you not remember the code?" and "New modders are annoying" respectively.
What's the difference between the gradle system and what was before? I just got into making mods, so all I know is that it no longer needs another program to be installed other than MC.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
What's the difference between the gradle system and what was before? I just got into making mods, so all I know is that it no longer needs another program to be installed other than MC.

the gradle system is a more professional builder for java apps and libraries and definitely a mile better than the utterly stupid python system before it, however while it's still already hard to use, the forge team still have a very sloppy way of using it and they provide no documentation whatsoever on it, took me about a week to get my one-class-mod on 1.6 to actually fully compile...

all of the uncompiled minecraft code and forge libraries now fall under a non-portable .gradle folder in your home directory, following a folder structure Ive never seen and constantly changing. want to use netbeans instead of eclipse? too bad they wont help you at all, irony being that not only is eclipse one of the worst of the lot but its actually _completely portable_
o_O

fyi though, neither the old or new systems needed you to download something manually bar the starter on the forge downloads, the scripts download everything themselves (when they're working), about half a gig worth, why they need such an amount for only a 10MB game? cause I don't...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
the gradle system is a more professional builder for java apps and libraries and definitely a mile better than the utterly stupid python system before it, however while it's still already hard to use, the forge team still have a very sloppy way of using it and they provide no documentation whatsoever on it, took me about a week to get my one-class-mod on 1.6 to actually fully compile...

all of the uncompiled minecraft code and forge libraries now fall under a non-portable .gradle folder in your home directory, following a folder structure Ive never seen and constantly changing. want to use netbeans instead of eclipse? too bad they wont help you at all, irony being that not only is eclipse one of the worst of the lot but its actually _completely portable_
o_O

fyi though, neither the old or new systems needed you to download something manually bar the starter on the forge downloads, the scripts download everything themselves (when they're working), about half a gig worth, why they need such an amount for only a 10MB game? cause I don't...
The good news is that as long as MCP still exists in MC 1.7, there is theoretically nothing stopping me from using it to generate a familiar workspace and then just overwriting the source with the forge copies. If I cannot get the gradle system to do what I want, that is what I am going to try.

EDIT:
Another major gripe with the new system:
They brought in 40+ random libraries ("who the f*** is "akka" and why do I need 20 packages from him?!") which all but eliminate eclipse's ability to automatically sort imports. Another feature that only noobs use, I'm sure. Real programmers type out the fully qualified names every time they reference something. :confused:

My auto-renaming script (to help deal with the fact the code helpfully decided to rename 80k+ variables with no way to automatically fix the references) has a quirk....
Code:
nonSolidArray.put(Blocks.logen_pressure_plate, true);
nonSolidArray.put(Blocks.potatoeseseseseses, true);
nonSolidArray.put(Blocks.reedss, true);
this.addBlockColor(Blocks.brick_block_block_block_block_block_block, ReikaColorAPI.RGBtoHex(175, 91, 72));

Last edited:

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
so hows the updating going @Reika ? I know for one thing Ive found quite a few bugs along the way on this, some fatal, but I don't think Ill bother listing them at least until you have something out on 1.7, fair chance any code updating may fix them anyway. Ironically I just found a bug in these forums too...

2014-08-08_212611_zps4813d19b.png

2014-08-17_110439_zps9198e760.png

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
so hows the updating going @Reika ? I know for one thing Ive found quite a few bugs along the way on this, some fatal, but I don't think Ill bother listing them at least until you have something out on 1.7, fair chance any code updating may fix them anyway. Ironically I just found a bug in these forums too...

2014-08-08_212611_zps4813d19b.png

2014-08-17_110439_zps9198e760.png
That is a beautiful build; what is wrong with it?

Also, the 1.7.10 alpha was released yesterday.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
That is a beautiful build; what is wrong with it?

Also, the 1.7.10 alpha was released yesterday.

nothing wrong with the build at all (or at least doesn't seem to be), it's been running for a couple weeks now non-stop and doesn't seem to be using more than 5-10ms tick time (xeon E5-1650 v2), only problem the server seems to be having atm is a memory leak that requires it to be rebooted about every day, but I'm pretty sure that's mostly just from the quarry my friends running (48 wide miningwellplus). that being said though it wouldn't surprise me if it was just minecraft's entity management as well...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Could I get confirmation?

It's not actually possible to start rotary craft in a cold biome?

I either have to run the blast furnace somewhere else, or make steel with other mods until I've climbed the tech tree far enough to make another heater?

Or am I just not understanding the information that I've found?

(version is the Techworld packs version)
Or you can use a fire block. You also need to update; your version is nearly a year out of date.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
the contents of the packs of 1.6.4 are locked, there will be no more updates.
I get to see the wonderful new things you have in the 1.7.10 versions when the packs for it happen, until then I will be patient.

... wiki said that a fire on netherrack would only reach 240C.

I get the impression there is something I'm missing.
As in manually update. Reika doesn't bother with people using out-of-date versions.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Could I get confirmation?

It's not actually possible to start rotary craft in a cold biome?

I either have to run the blast furnace somewhere else, or make steel with other mods until I've climbed the tech tree far enough to make another heater?

Or am I just not understanding the information that I've found?

(version is the Techworld packs version)

in the standard FTB pack versions, yea, you'll need to place your blast furnace in a warmer biome and use lava, later on you can use friction heaters to run it locally.

or you can update the mods yourself if you dont have a problem with it, warning for that though you need to re-assign the new IDs manually and at least reactorcraft doesnt work correctly in singleplayer, on servers its all fine though bar a couple crash bugs that are easily avoided.

other then that wait for 1.7 mods to mature a bit more and respected packs will follow.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
which is where VisualStudio's intelliSense comes in in C-base languages, you know when it suddenly stops working for someone as the room suddenly looses silence. (usual keyboard clatter is considered silence)
Alas, I haven't found a Visual Studio plugin that does Java. If someone has found one that's more than just a syntax highlighter, I'd be delighted to check it out. Eclipse runs for shit on my current machine, and until I get my leftovers from financial aid, I won't be able to upgrade, as I'm working on a laptop. It doesn't help that Eclipse is, for me, obscenely arcane and confusing for even the most mundane tasks. Why in the name of the pig do I have to go thru what feels like seventeen different dialogues just to add a reference to a library? Especially since, in VS, all I have to do is right-click on my project in the Solution Explorer child window, hit "Add Reference..." and, get this, select the effing DLL I want to reference and hit OK. Is it really that difficult an idea to grasp?

Ya know what? I'm wondering if some enterprising individuals haven't come up with a way to make mods for Minecraft using .Net languages. I'd be able to easily get the groundwork set up for a mod inside a few days if I could do the whole bloody thing in C# and Visual Studio instead of Java and Eclipse.

Last edited:

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the confirmation. I will climb other tech trees until I can build a friction heater and then return to my plans to build RC items. It might be an unintentional challenge, but it is one that I will overcome by facing it... (specially if it's ALSO present in the newer version and an upgrade would still make it hard to start in the cold climates)
I've built my entire RoC base in a tundra biome - basic machines, fermenters, HTGRs, and finally a fusion reactor. Everything works fine, just have to be wary of water wanting to freeze (put glowstone under it and keep it from seeing the sky) and for the blast furnace I used lava+fire adjacent to it. It's actually a lot easier than you might think. :)

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Alas, I haven't found a Visual Studio plugin that does Java. If someone has found one that's more than just a syntax highlighter, I'd be delighted to check it out. Eclipse runs for shit on my current machine, and until I get my leftovers from financial aid, I won't be able to upgrade, as I'm working on a laptop. It doesn't help that Eclipse is, for me, obscenely arcane and confusing for even the most mundane tasks. Why in the name of the pig do I have to go thru what feels like seventeen different dialogues just to add a reference to a library? Especially since, in VS, all I have to do is right-click on my project in the Solution Explorer child window, hit "Add Reference..." and, get this, select the effing DLL I want to reference and hit OK. Is it really that difficult an idea to grasp?

Ya know what? I'm wondering if some enterprising individuals haven't come up with a way to make mods for Minecraft using .Net languages. I'd be able to easily get the groundwork set up for a mod inside a few days if I could do the whole bloody thing in C# and Visual Studio instead of Java and Eclipse.

I wouldn't bother, J# is the closest VS has, of which I'm yet to see it used anywhere (legacy). Netbeans is VS's alternate which does the full spectrum of languages, however mostly intended for java (oracle made it after all), only problem is you have to manually set up the project, link all the minecraft and forge sources etc, a little tricky but not impossible, and you can always attach gradle commands to it.

https://netbeans.org/ I think if you were to go for professional java coding, they'd get you using netbeans, mainly due to its similarities to VS and internal usefullness compared to clipse, it has the same proper block editing as VS and notepad++ for example, no 'ctrl+shift+A' to toggle the cursor mode garbage etc.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I've built my entire RoC base in a tundra biome - basic machines, fermenters, HTGRs, and finally a fusion reactor. Everything works fine, just have to be wary of water wanting to freeze (put glowstone under it and keep it from seeing the sky) and for the blast furnace I used lava+fire adjacent to it. It's actually a lot easier than you might think. :)
IIRC tundra is considered hot by roc/rec. Pretty sure i heard that in the ssp world tour he did (when he showed his fusion reactpr which was build there)