Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Same crash? What other machine blocks do you have placed?
Same crash to the letter, and EVERY machine in your mods. This is my tester world/reactor let's build world. EDIT: To clarify, I have every non-reactor machine in this world. No reactors yet.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
That is going to make debugging impossible. For all we know, the crash is not coming from the reactor at all. Make several copies of the world, and MCEdit out quadrants at a time.
Okay. After deleting the entire structure(I.e. All the concrete and neutron reflectors), I am able to log on. After the lighting glitch from hell, I am going to place some neutron reflectors and see what happens.
EDIT: Very odd.. I placed a few reflectors and nothing happened. I guess all's well that ends well.

Last edited:
Reactions: techno156

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
So, about the whole "getting shocked by Van de Graaffs" thing.
TBFA0m6.jpg

The solution is so ridiculously simple I couldn't help but feel like an idiot that it took me 3 whole months to think of it. Wish I would've thought of it before the chainmail thing.

Place a player detector 2 blocks below each Van de Graaff. Give it a steam engine's worth of power, geared to 4096 rad/s. Configure the detection range to 9 meters. Wire it up to either shut off the engine powering your Van de Graaff, or activate a clutch on the shaft running to it.

Of course, you'll need multiple redundant Van de Graaffs powering your toroid magnets, but if you're anything like me, you've stuck one in each corner, and are powering each of them enough you could probably lose all but one and still be fine.

On a related note, is it just me or have Van de Graaffs lost their ability to damage non-player entities since version 23d-ish? I ended up having to fill in the cave system beneath my tokamak because the Van de Graaffs kept targeting random bats landed down there instead of what they were supposed to, and the bats weren't just immediately dying like they should have been.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
On a related note, is it just me or have Van de Graaffs lost their ability to damage non-player entities since version 23d-ish? I ended up having to fill in the cave system beneath my tokamak because the Van de Graaffs kept targeting random bats landed down there instead of what they were supposed to, and the bats weren't just immediately dying like they should have been.
I am looking into this.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
So, about the whole "getting shocked by Van de Graaffs" thing.
TBFA0m6.jpg

The solution is so ridiculously simple I couldn't help but feel like an idiot that it took me 3 whole months to think of it. Wish I would've thought of it before the chainmail thing.

Place a player detector 2 blocks below each Van de Graaff. Give it a steam engine's worth of power, geared to 4096 rad/s. Configure the detection range to 9 meters. Wire it up to either shut off the engine powering your Van de Graaff, or activate a clutch on the shaft running to it.

Of course, you'll need multiple redundant Van de Graaffs powering your toroid magnets, but if you're anything like me, you've stuck one in each corner, and are powering each of them enough you could probably lose all but one and still be fine.

Neat solution! :D Does it work?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Neat solution! :D Does it work?
If you sprint at it really quickly you might get zapped once. Also about half of the time the Van de Graaff gets shut off slightly before it builds enough charge to discharge into a toroid magnet, so you might take a small half-heart zap when you get within a few blocks. Those two small quirks aside, it works well enough I don't mind walking around the Van de Graaffs without a set of mail.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
2014-07-18_191730_zps64830628.png

know what the specific issue here may be? from what I see it looks like the toroids are too close, of which if that's the case than @Reika you need to update/add a note to your tute vid that that particular layout nolonger works :/

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
The rings in the upper left are not aligned properly.

hadn't actually noticed that, but yea, shouldn't be the cause though as its not even getting to that point...
actually no, that's a render bug, they are in fact rotated correctly, but upon taking the shot their transforms must've been un-set (which points to crappy render code, but minecraft is all about that regardless, unless the modder knows enough about rendering that they can code their own entire pipeline and shaders...)

Though correct, that is not the cause of the problem.

Is the solenoid powered properly? Is it placed properly?

went through the whole process of break-and-place each part again in various orders, no change in result, solenoid is powered and had as much as 65MW to it at various speed:torque ratios, how far can they go before failure?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
went through the whole process of break-and-place each part again in various orders, no change in result, solenoid is powered and had as much as 65MW to it at various speed:torque ratios, how far can they go before failure?
It needs to be spinning at at least 256 rad/s, and it must be at the correct height. These are two very common mistakes.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
whoops, ok so I hadn't noticed I accidentally built the solenoid a block lower than the rest of it, however after fixing that and breaking > placing again its still not working, the plasma just shoots straight out...

the fact that I have to break the injector to place the toroids next to it gives me an idea that they must be spaced apart, but this is essentially exactly the same as your tute layout.

update;
ok so I updated everything to V24b, but not only was the empty string crash bug not fixed, but now the plasma injector wont construct entirely...

@Reika :C

Last edited:

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
going to bump this time, but I got the plasma injector built again, but still yet to get the toroids functioning...

also I can confirm the bug that is mobs will drain all the supplied 'tricity generated while not taking any damage, and I also mean *all* the power, the toroids get nothing.
was fine in V22, obviously not in V24b, so whatever code you changed in the generators/API between these is obviously broken @Reika

also whats these 6-bool arrays in the console from?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
ok so I updated everything to V24b, but not only was the empty string crash bug not fixed, but now the plasma injector wont construct entirely...
The empty String crash is caused by Forge and/or world crashes corrupting NBT data.

going to bump this time, but I got the plasma injector built again, but still yet to get the toroids functioning...

also I can confirm the bug that is mobs will drain all the supplied 'tricity generated while not taking any damage, and I also mean *all* the power, the toroids get nothing.
was fine in V22, obviously not in V24b, so whatever code you changed in the generators/API between these is obviously broken @Reika
I am running a fusion reactor right now, so it obviously works.

also whats these 6-bool arrays in the console from?
Steam line connections.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
ok well anyway, finally got it all somewhat working, I needed to have all 4 plasma injectors AND had to re-place some toroids, while they were rotated correctly, the plasma injectors weren't detecting them, should definitely add some notes that your multiblock construction needs you to be facing the right direction or it will constantly fail.

- you should have try-catch blocks in your NBT read and write as it's never guaranteed to work, that will prevent the null-string crash (which FYI happens with boilers and after exiting the save then re-loading it, if the boilers are removed it doesn't crash)

also I found another crashbug regarding your high pressure turbines, cant cast a steam grate to the turbine multiblock, you need to add an instance check...

attached both crashes so you can have a better look, but now I just need to work out how many turbines I'll need to run this efficiently, also I doubt Ill be making more than one of these reactors like I was originally planning XD

Attachments

• crash-2014-07-19_19.42.35-server.txt
    52.7 KB · Views: 56
  • crash-2014-07-20_15.34.06-server.txt
    41.6 KB · Views: 62

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
ok well anyway, finally got it all somewhat working, I needed to have all 4 plasma injectors AND had to re-place some toroids, while they were rotated correctly, the plasma injectors weren't detecting them, should definitely add some notes that your multiblock construction needs you to be facing the right direction or it will constantly fail.

- you should have try-catch blocks in your NBT read and write as it's never guaranteed to work, that will prevent the null-string crash (which FYI happens with boilers and after exiting the save then re-loading it, if the boilers are removed it doesn't crash)

also I found another crashbug regarding your high pressure turbines, cant cast a steam grate to the turbine multiblock, you need to add an instance check...

attached both crashes so you can have a better look, but now I just need to work out how many turbines I'll need to run this efficiently, also I doubt Ill be making more than one of these reactors like I was originally planning XD
The second one looks like the RailCraft hidden block issue again.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
ok so, messing with this setup, I've worked out I can power between 1-2 max size high pressure turbines for every 8th of a maxed out fusion reactor, and each maxed high pressure turbine maxes out 128 dynamos, which each of those maxes out my little power inverters, which is 2048EU/t max each.

now... 8 turbines... 1024 dynamos... 2,097,152EU/t...

is that normal...? because for reference you only get 21,293EU/t usable power out of a greg FR... (in 1.6)

I will note though, that two HP turbines cant be powered from this one 8th, the furthest one just spins down, but it seems one HP and many basic turbines can be powered.