With the return of taint, thaumcraft is now full of !!FUN!!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Taint is spread via the purple taint creep now, so in effect, it is growing across the landscape kinda like vines are growing on threes and cliff-faces, except in all 3 directions. and it will spread over crafted blocks as well as natural ones. A pure node will stop it from spreading tho, but if it get's in contact with a standard node, it will taint the node. (a pure node next to a tainted one will purify it tho, so it's reversible)
The way to contain and block the spread of taint, is to go out and hunt for pure nodes, then move them (quite costly) to the edge of the taint and use them to push the taint back.
I think there are other ways to remove taint as well, but i haven't discovered any them yet. i got the pure node trick from DW20's series as they are currently doing some experiments with taint.

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I'm more interested to think of the implications that this would have in the Twilight Forest with all the mobs there. Tainted Deer, Tainted Quest Rams... TAINTED BIRDS!

Could be !!FUN!!

JustMCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for this question , but where is the config? I got into thaumcraft file in mods folder and i can't just find it.
Plz tell me where it is and how to config it to stop spreading , because i have a taint biome very very close ( 100 blocks ) of my house and i can't find a silverwood.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for this question , but where is the config? I got into thaumcraft file in mods folder and i can't just find it.
Plz tell me where it is and how to config it to stop spreading , because i have a taint biome very very close ( 100 blocks ) of my house and i can't find a silverwood.

go to the config folder maybe?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
im referencing DW20 here, but one of his relatively recent videos showed planting silverwoods to generate pure nodes worked to slow/stop taint.

and now that you can move nodes relatively easily, you can stock up on pure-node-in-a-jar to deal with either the biome or. . . problematic cruicible/ infusion crafting or node abuse.

I suppose you could also jar a tainted node as well, so you could merge it with a larger pure node elsewhere

Reactions: Vaughn

SpaceClam

Jul 29, 2019
I just started a brand new world and there were two eerie biomes very close to spawn. In each biome there was a pillar of obsidian like material and when I built a thaumometer and inspected the area there was a "Dark" node. From what I've read an eerie biome eventually turns into tainted land. Is there any way to stop it from transforming? I know I can destroy the node by simply mining it but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
I just started a brand new world and there were two eerie biomes very close to spawn. In each biome there was a pillar of obsidian like material and when I built a thaumometer and inspected the area there was a "Dark" node. From what I've read an eerie biome eventually turns into tainted land. Is there any way to stop it from transforming? I know I can destroy the node by simply mining it but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
The eerie biome by itself isn't dangerous. The node will occasionally spawn furious zombies, but the biome requires user interaction (flux goo) to turn into taint. Also, destroying nodes is rather harmless. The node just drops etheral essence based on the amount of essentia it currently has.

SpaceClam

Jul 29, 2019
The eerie biome by itself isn't dangerous. The node will occasionally spawn furious zombies, but the biome requires user interaction (flux goo) to turn into taint. Also, destroying nodes is rather harmless. The node just drops etheral essence based on the amount of essentia it currently has.

How would I turn it into a tainted biome with flux goo?

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Taint is spread via the purple taint creep now, so in effect, it is growing across the landscape kinda like vines are growing on threes and cliff-faces, except in all 3 directions. and it will spread over crafted blocks as well as natural ones. A pure node will stop it from spreading tho, but if it get's in contact with a standard node, it will taint the node. (a pure node next to a tainted one will purify it tho, so it's reversible)
The way to contain and block the spread of taint, is to go out and hunt for pure nodes, then move them (quite costly) to the edge of the taint and use them to push the taint back.
I think there are other ways to remove taint as well, but i haven't discovered any them yet. i got the pure node trick from DW20's series as they are currently doing some experiments with taint.

If you are correct about the taint spreading via fibrous tendrils (taint creep as you call it). You can remove them pretty easy with a water bucket, it's much faster than breaking them.

In my investigations after removing the tendrils there has been no growth of the tainted area. The tainted biome is near my main base so I do check up on it once in a while.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone who has researched the growth of taint and whether the removal of tendrils and tainted nodes does in fact prevent the biome from spreading.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Also Direwolf20 had a spotlight on the latest and greatest Thaumcraft version 4.0.5 and there is an ethereal bloom that can clean up the mess as well if you're pursuing thaumaturgy.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Also Direwolf20 had a spotlight on the latest and greatest Thaumcraft version 4.0.5 and there is an ethereal bloom that can clean up the mess as well if you're pursuing thaumaturgy.

just wish there was a way to pick the blooms up without breaking them, I hate crucible crafting :(

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
So...using water source block to cordon the tainted chunk will work to keep them from spread?

Or will they continue to spread underground by spreading through solid ground?

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
So...using water source block to cordon the tainted chunk will work to keep them from spread?

Or will they continue to spread underground by spreading through solid ground?

From observations (note not experiments) I have seen taint tendrils jump blocks. So you could have a block with taint on it, a gap, and a block and that second block could develop taint.

I have found tendrils under liquids and liquids will flow on top of tendrils, but I do not have evidence one way or another whether tendrils will remove a source block.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
From observations (note not experiments) I have seen taint tendrils jump blocks. So you could have a block with taint on it, a gap, and a block and that second block could develop taint.

I have found tendrils under liquids and liquids will flow on top of tendrils, but I do not have evidence one way or another whether tendrils will remove a source block.
The tendrils will jump through obstacles as well. I had some jump into a sealed room with 3 block thick walls and no doors. I think the biome spawns the tendrils.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
The tendrils will jump through obstacles as well. I had some jump into a sealed room with 3 block thick walls and no doors. I think the biome spawns the tendrils.
Do you know if there were tendrils adjacent to the room? I periodically check my "cleaned" tainted biome and still haven't found an infestation... though it may just be a matter of time.