With the return of taint, thaumcraft is now full of !!FUN!!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Eh, there goes any chance of me playing around more with TC3. I didn't like Taint in TC2, I don't see how it has improved any. If it was just as a result of high Flux, that would have been one thing, particularly if it didn't spread as virulently. However, as it currently stands? Deal breaker.

When I want !!FUN!!, I play Dwarf Fortress. When I play Minecraft, !!FUN!! /= Fun.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I loved taint.

It actually made you want to not have flux. Currently you get attacked by wisps and you feel bad because the thaumic goggles tell you that you suck at keeping the environment clean.

Now that we have taint it'll screw up anybody who doesn't care about flux. That's good.

It's a single biome amid a hundred other biomes. Deal with it.

Reactions: Pokefenn

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It's a single biome amid a hundred other biomes. Deal with it.
It's only a hundred other biomes if you play with BOP or XBXL. If you don't... well, the odds of it coming up just went up dramatically.

Using it as a consequence for high flux? Good.

Randomly destroying someone's ability to play the game because they spawned in or near it? Not so much.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure that biome generation percentage isn't based on number of biomes. Minecraft just doesn't like placing two of the same biomes together (oceans have a special algorithm that insures continents). If I'm wrong (I probably am) please tell me. Preferably with code but not it's not necessary.
I absolutely LOVED taint in TC2 so I'm actively biased towards it. It gave Minecraft life. It made it feel like I could change it. Power without consequences isn't fun. It's just there. Here's hoping that you can 'harness' taint similar (but more in depth) to like TC2.
If it takes a MASSIVE effort to make a new bloom it will be great. I loved the natural taint zones but didn't like how anyone could make one with little effort. Anyone could just walk into your based and taintify it. It was extremely easy.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure that biome generation percentage isn't based on number of biomes. Minecraft just doesn't like placing two of the same biomes together (oceans have a special algorithm that insures continents). If I'm wrong (I probably am) please tell me. Preferably with code but not it's not necessary.
I absolutely LOVED taint in TC2 so I'm actively biased towards it. It gave Minecraft life. It made it feel like I could change it. Power without consequences isn't fun. It's just there. Here's hoping that you can 'harness' taint similar (but more in depth) to like TC2.
If it takes a MASSIVE effort to make a new bloom it will be great. I loved the natural taint zones but didn't like how anyone could make one with little effort. Anyone could just walk into your based and taintify it. It was extremely easy.

That just made me remember the old power system with conduits....
I can now imagine liquid taint........

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
And I thought Taint was gone for good. I'll be excited to see how it ties in with the whole flux/aura mechanic.

I remember back in Technic the time I deliberately built a base on Taint (I liked the purple, ok??). It quickly got very... Interesting.

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
Ah taint.

Nothing is ever more fun than copying a world over, having the TC2 aura values reset and getting a giant taint bloom right in the center of your base. I just hope that whatever taint elimination scheme he puts out relies on renewable material like silverwood instead of having to strip mine the world for crystals.
Actually, silverwood isn't renewable since they drop less than one sapling on average, while shards are renewable with bees

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone care to give a brief history of taint, what it does, what causes it, how you stop it from spreading, any other tips?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone care to give a brief history of taint, what it does, what causes it, how you stop it from spreading, any other tips?

There used to be 2 values in thaumcraft 2, vis and taint.
Each chunk had a natural value of both (deserts had less vis and jungles had the most for example) but it was always random.
If a chunk had too much taint it would become corrupted, causing all passive mobs to become hostile and these weird plants to spawn that poisoned you.
Burning items in a crucible created both vis and taint, so kinda like tc3.
Also if a tank of taint exploded/was destroyed it could create taint where it was.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, so if you build in taint would it take over the blocks in your house tainting them all and turning them to dirt/dust/uselessness?

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, so if you build in taint would it take over the blocks in your house tainting them all and turning them to dirt/dust/uselessness?

Taint only affected certain blocks, stone, dirt, sand, grass, logs, gravel e.t.c. Basically anything not crafted. So usually most of your house would be ok. Unfortunately, and this is the part that sucked, it also ate ores and plants. So you could have a perfectly ok house, but you couldn't mine or run a tree farm, or get any non-tainted resources at all. And that doesn't even count the poisonous plants and hostile mobs.

It spread really fast and couldn't be contained easily since it didn't even need to be touching another block to spread to it. Just having high taint in a chunk would cause spontaneous growth, and having high taint in a neighboring chunk caused a chunk's taint level to rise. The only way to get rid of it was by sucking all the taint out of each chunk one by one and waiting for the taint to go away. Which was hard when you'd be working one chunk while the taint spread to 2 or 3 chunks on the other side of the bloom.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
In TC2, taint was a nearly unstoppable monster if not dealt with right away, especially if you were new to TC2 and decided to settle near it or in a chunk with a bad vis to taint ratio on the verge of forming it. As by the time you developed the resources to deal with it, the taint would reach a point where fighting it would be futile.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
In TC2 you can make splash potions of purity and other tools that would help you to clear the ground taint but naturally it will regrow if the taint was still in the air. Which is where things got difficult as the tools needed for this were a bit costly and hard to deploy.

The first of which was planting silver wood trees that would very slowly drain the taint or by upgrading them to totems of the dawn which purified a small area around them as well as slowly raising vis and lowering the taint. However silver woods were even rarer then they are now and the totems of the dawn were costly to make.

The second way was collecting tainted crystals from areas already over grown with taint and using them in your crystal absorbers to pull the taint right out of the air. However you had to setup up the means to store it and a bunch of taint filters to destroy it which were rather costly on top of the danger of collecting and rarity of the taint crystals.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Taint in world was a reflection of taint in aura, it always seemed a little unwieldy to me.
The reverse, starting taint in a biome and possibly having it produce a taint flux, or to have it only spread via the purple webbing somehow feels more sane to me.

If, like railcraft, there's spawners at bedrock that make taint blocks, then you could never fully defuse it without picking up the spawner and dropping it on a torch, the biome would always eventually generate a new taint to spread, though as long as it can't spread out of the biome (most settings, it apparently can't) then the world is safe (as long as you don't let the biome spread in the settings either).

On the other hand, maybe the starting taint block is an entity restricted to spawning in the biome.

Or maybe there's a 3rd way to do it, or 15 other ways to do it.

For each way to do it there's ways to handle it, up to and including the cfg file.

As has been said elsewhere in the thread, most of taint science was about making taint less dangerous. It felt a bit incomplete. Yes you needed to tame taint to get to the final tier of anything. Yes you needed to tame taint just to live in the world, but it didn't seem special, just a required chore.

So, taint as a researched aspect?

Taint to unlock a new tier of items? A vampiric touch enchantment?

Due to advances in vanilla life is very different. I can picture a device that, instead of having you select the enchantments for the item, it selects the enchantments and writes them into a book. You could lock enchantments so they can't show up randomly, but can be written to the black tome, and then put to the items with an anvil.

MikehellRS

Jul 29, 2019
I just started running a Thaumcraft 4 world without knowing about the return of Taint. It was quite a shock to have created an extensive house and several outbuildings when I started noticing some purple stuff encroaching on the edge of my mini-map. After a (in retrospect) humorous encounter with some carnivorous Tainted Sheep I exited and started Google-ing madly. The cobblestone wall solution seemed unworkable: it would take (real-time) days in creative mode to build a fricken' wall around the entire biome! And changing the config file to stop the spread doesn't seem to keep it from spreading within the current biome. I ended up downloading MCedit and deleting all the nearby chunks that were contaminated with Taint.