[WIP?] Redstone Fluctuation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair he's not asking opinions on RF he's asking for advice on what to do with his mod, certain members are just stirring the pot as usual... Hey at least we got 8 posts of constructive advice
There is a reason that @Padfoote posted besides RF things, but I do not know if he would like me to share them, and it is hella off-topic

Personally I think it's a great idea and would use it in a heartbeat, go OP go!!!
Same

Reactions: Padfoote

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of people are afraid of the direction RF and TE are going because they fear that it could be the end of hard mods. And another step into the unified power system
I personally like mods like TE way better than IC2. IC2 is harder yes, but it also way more annoying and obnoxious. I'm fine with a mod that is optional for this, because I can remove it form packs, and others could enjoy it. I just hate the idea of exploding machines, losing power, and energy corrosion. Myswell make the machines break if you dont pick them up with a wrench. :p Im just worried if the mod gets made it will show up in Agr Skies2 and make me miserable on servers. :D

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like mods like TE way better than IC2. IC2 is harder yes, but it also way more annoying and obnoxious. I'm fine with a mod that is optional for this, because I can remove it form packs, and others could enjoy it. I just hate the idea of exploding machines, losing power, and energy corrosion. Myswell make the machines break if you dont pick them up with a wrench. :p
I'm not denying you your opinion, but some people like those kind of things. And if they aren't somehow made into more mods than IC2 (this is needed because EU is becoming less used) the RF API will make it where they don't exist. Except for RotaryCraft because RC is f***ing awesome

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like mods like TE way better than IC2. IC2 is harder yes, but it also way more annoying and obnoxious. I'm fine with a mod that is optional for this, because I can remove it form packs, and others could enjoy it. I just hate the idea of exploding machines, losing power, and energy corrosion. Myswell make the machines break if you dont pick them up with a wrench. :p
Not to mention the issues with multiblocks (if the cables still have that issue)... I haven't used IC2 properly since it came out into experimental they should just call it IC3, it's nothing like IC2 anymore

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not denying you your opinion, but some people like those kind of things. And if they aren't somehow made into more mods than IC2 (this is needed because EU is becoming less used) the RF API will make it where they don't exist. Except for RotaryCraft because RC is f***ing awesome
I complety respect that others want this. I came into the modding community when IC2 was on its way out and TE in and am a tad biased towards TE. I get it that some could want this, just sharing my opinion as well. :p Also RC is hard in a good way, but awesome. I like that in a mod, but just not in TE. :)

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention the issues with multiblocks (if the cables still have that issue)... I haven't used IC2 properly since it came out into experimental they should just call it IC3, it's nothing like IC2 anymore
Yea, just like AM2 is still AM2. :p

EDit: Oops still used to the old DP merger. :D

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Then don't download the mod.

To be fair he's not asking opinions on RF he's asking for advice on what to do with his mod, certain members are just stirring the pot as usual... Hey at least we got 8 posts of constructive advice

Personally I think it's a great idea and would use it in a heartbeat, go OP go!!!

And I quote, "This topic is more for people who Think like me, If you do not like the idea you do not have to be apart of this as it's purely optional whether or not you have this installed at all."

I take it the "stirring the pot" comment was aimed at me. I am not trying to cause drama, nothing discussed on this forum is worth getting worked up over. And I never said that I dont like the idea, I just think its aimed in the wrong direction. What I envy most about Gregtech players is that they have an actual reason to automate things and that production lines can get really complicated with multiple crafting steps involving more than just ingots. I dont want the entire game to be about managing the functions of my five machines. I want it to be about automating my dozens.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019

I agree. Also Mekanism does a good job of offering newer players/ lazy people the option of doing 2x ore processing the 3x, 4x, and for really crazy people who like craziness 5x. :p Also how was epidemia "stirring the pot" by offering his opinion? We are going to have one.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of people are afraid of the direction RF and TE are going because they fear that it could be the end of hard mods. And another step into the unified power system
Well, when most new tech mods produce or use RF and the popularity of things like buildcraft and IC2 seem to be wavering, it's a pretty legitimate fear. Popularity of specific systems or standards stifles the creativity of mod devs. RF is easier to program and already supported by a large number of mods, which in turn makes it more popular. Why spend the time making something complex and unique when you can skip a large amount of coding and tack on the the RF system? What really doesn't help is people wanting updates to minecraft version x.y.z and the whole "1.7 is glitchy and 1.8 is out" garbage. RF is popular because it gained popularity because it's easy.

Also, completely off topic, but love the string of Spice and Wolf avatars.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, when most new tech mods produce or use RF and the popularity of things like buildcraft and IC2 seem to be wavering, it's a pretty legitimate fear. Popularity of specific systems or standards stifles the creativity of mod devs. RF is easier to program and already supported by a large number of mods, which in turn makes it more popular. Why spend the time making something complex and unique when you can skip a large amount of coding and tack on the the RF system? What really doesn't help is people wanting updates to minecraft version x.y.z and the whole "1.7 is glitchy and 1.8 is out" garbage. RF is popular because it gained popularity because it's easy.

Also, completely off topic, but love the string of Spice and Wolf avatars.
1.8 modding isn't possible because of the large JSON files anyway, I think we should stay on 1.7 and we should optimize MC

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any real big problem with RF is a stable simple power system that works well. If you are looking for something harder play with IC2 and Gregtech.
If you wanted to play with RF and make it harder maybe have a mod that doubles the machines RF power requirements, with a config option x2, x3, x4, x5.

Note: When I play I turn on the harder recipes for TE and Ender IO.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any real big problem with RF is a stable simple power system that works well. If you are looking for something harder play with IC2 and Gregtech.
If you wanted to play with RF and make it harder maybe have a mod that doubles the machines RF power requirements, with a config option x2, x3, x4, x5.

Saying if you don't like <mod> then play <other mod(s)> which are nothing alike is a VERY stupid statement.
A LOT of people do not like Gregtech, all the changes it makes, the unification of everything (which can be annoying if people don't use oreDict stuff in their mods' recipes - which they shouldn't HAVE to) and EXPLOSIONS! It's also not a newb friendly mod. And, let's face it EU is becoming a dead thing nowadays. I don't want to kill it while it can still fight, but MJ was in EUs position at the dawn of 1.6. People could use RF as MJ, and because MJ was a PITA to create, everyone just used RF. And seeing as there are a million and one ways to convert RF to EU, why keep it. The mod isn't what it used to be, I used to be a massive "IC2 fangirl" but now, nah. Not my sorta thing, IC2-exp. really ruined IC2... it feels too greg-teched.
Also, the amount of IC2 add-ons/EU using/producing mods is nothing like RFs. It is just one of those things: supply and demand. So much demand for RF stuff (e.g RF solar panels) loads of mod devs add them, Solar Flux, and Solar Exapansion, to name the first 2 that came to mind.

But if someone wants to use RF, which is a MUCH better power system, especially for someone new who doesn't KNOW that they shouldn't use a pickaxe to break the machine, or don't know how to edit a config file to get the beloved vanilla recipes to be vanilla, then it is a TERRIBLE idea.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to rant. But in a thread where a mod dev has said that they would like to create a "RF gregtech" sorta thing, don't recommend IC2 gregtech. That exists, and it's fine. But let's see something similar for RF. It actually needs it. IC2 doesn't... unless you add advanced solars/compact solars, then yeah, gregtech away.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I was referring to the rules involved when using IC2 & Gregtech power systems no the Mods them self. Were by if you don't build you power network correctly if will end bad with a EXPLOSION.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I dont see what there is to hate about TE. EnderIO doesnt have enough processing machines to base any sort of industry around. Its boring to have to use the same two over and over again. I like the new powered spawners but this whole slice n splice business doesnt make any sense to me. When I fluid transpose something, I have a pretty good notion of what is supposed to be happening, it seems logical.

Mekanism is a good mod but on the other hand its kind of not. All of its ideas are recycled from other mods, its default textures do not fit in with vanilla, its power gen and automining is ridiculously overpowered and it seems to cause a lot of lag. Oh and 5x ore processing is way beyond overkill. Overall it just light speeds you to the point of not needing anything and makes the game boring.

TE is too easy. It removes all thought process in a game that is about building. Rather than needing to build a piping system to process all of my ores, I can drop two blocks down by each other and it magically handles everything.

Mekanism recycles ideas from other mods? I can't name a single mod that hasn't recycled an idea from somewhere else. I've never had a lag issue with Mek, and haven't heard of any except for where TE happened to be thrown in. 5x ore processing allows me to build whatever I want, which I find to be the point of MC. And if I didn't have 5x, I would still have 2x. The total multiplication means nothing to me.
There is a reason that @Padfoote posted besides RF things, but I do not know if he would like me to share them, and it is hella off-topic

Posting one of them myself:

I'm from the BTW community. Building challenges are what I'm all about. Having something so dumbed down to the point where I don't have to think to design something like an ore processing system kills all fun for me and I view it as treating me like a child who is unable to perform simple addition, hence my hatred of TE. Mods like BTW, GT, RC, RoC, and ReC bring a challenge to MC for me, and that challenge is building a system to do a single task.

The argument of "if you want challenge go play GT" is absurd. There are plenty of people, including myself, who would like a challenge outside of just GT. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and this proposed mod seeks to do just that. That's one of the reasons I use RoC and RC extensively; they add difficulty to the game and aren't GT.

And as a note since acronyms are constantly being thrown around, I use RC to refer to RailCraft, and RoC to refer to RotaryCraft.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

I'm from the BTW community. Building challenges are what I'm all about. Having something so dumbed down to the point where I don't have to think to design something like an ore processing system kills all fun for me and I view it as treating me like a child who is unable to perform simple addition, hence my hatred of TE. Mods like BTW, GT, RC, RoC, and ReC bring a challenge to MC for me, and that challenge is building a system to do a single task.
BTW FTW

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry that I haven't been around everyone, Here's a quick reply catchup lol. I've actually been playing Minecraft, No intention on Abandoning this or the topic just was taking a quick break.

Tesseract's did something similar to this back in 1.5, when there were 3 different kinds of Tesseract(Items, Fluids, and power). I don't think it does that anymore, but if I remember correctly it was a flat percentage. The distance system seems a tad pointless and more difficult to code.

Also, there are Extra Utilities and MineFactory Reloaded cables that transfer RF. Are you planning on altering their behavior as well? Other than that, it sounds like a great mod.

It's not something that I would ever use as the only medium to long distance power transfer I ever use is for Pumps or Quarries. I rather enjoy sending fuel around rather than power.
Hmm, I do see this as a problem; I will see what I can do about this. I'm unsure of what I should do though; I'll think about it.

It sounds cool... but why do you mention Ender IO and Thermal Expansion?

First off, Ender IO is but one mod that uses the RF system, which is a part of Thermal Expansion.
Secondly, I REALLY like that you aren't adding another generator... there are too many mods that add RF generators.
Thirdly, unless you mean you are editing tesseracts from Thermal Expansion, why add them? TE Tesseracts do cause a loss of power when using it to send power.
Forthly, overloading. I love it. As long as there is a vast array of energy conduits, e.g. leadstone, hardened, redstone, resonant (double redstone), and infinite (uber expensive) that allows any amount of RF transfer.
And finally, power storage. If you are going to add energy storage. More is MORE! With mods like Big Reactors producing more than 1kRF/t there needs to be energy cells that can store something massive like 100,000,000,000,000 (or just something big)

As a tack on note, if you are trying to balance TE more, maybe you could make an add-on that adds "breakdowns" to the TE machines, that can be fixed with augments (giving people like me, who don't bother going above basic, a reason to do so).
E.g.
Machine with no augments will work for 15 cycles and then break down
1 augment = 32 cycles
2 augments = 1.5 stacks
3 augments = no breakdowns
Or something.
1. I'm just mentioning as an example, I will be making support for multiple mods not just Ender IO.
2. I find no reason for there to be more in the first place. I'd like more machines.
3. Editing. Also I feel that its a bit too weak of a cost.
5. I won't be adding power storage the system will be adapted to Ender IO's, Thermal Expansions and etc.'s Power Storage.

Lastly I'm not trying to balance TE more I'm more trying to balance RF as a whole, I feel it's lack of loss anywhere in it makes it an end all power system that is just straight overpowered. My example of this would be the flying rings from ExU making jetpacks and other ways of flying that have a cost pointless; Now I wouldn't say RF makes all other power systems pointless but it's darn near close.

For item and fluid: Within say 100 blocks make tesseracts free, bit harsh punishing someone for cleaning up their builds instead of pipes everywhere. After 100 blocks one standard power draw at BOTH ends(80-100rf/t, low enough so u can put a couple of engines down). Across any dimension ramp up power to maybe 500/t.

Power tesseracts should take a big chunk of the power(10-20%) to run and not be allowed to carry items and fluid at the same time.
My tired brain is trying to comprehend this but I cant I will re-read this in the morning and give a better response in an edit.

Guys, remember the last time we had a debate about RF? That didn't really end up too well. I think all opinions that any of us are going to have were already covered by those threads, and I'm sure we don't need that shitstorm again.
Fun fact this isn't a debate, I'm creating this and asking the community what I should do to change it. I also mentioned that I'd rather no one actually say "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS" and just ignore the topic if you feel that way. I don't want any debating, flaming or conversation about why it is or isn't overpowered. If you even read the topic you would have noticed that this is potentially a mod; Hopefully you will re-read this as I enjoy your work and would like your opinion on this (Again please try to not skim).

Personally I like RF how it is, and dislike the older EU, and MJ systems. I think because RF and TE werent so complicated in there energy system it made YouTubers and players want to use them more so. If you want more of a challenge just use IC2 with GT. :p All the things you talked about are just nerfs to the way RF works and make it more similar to other tech mods.
It's your choice to play the way you like, The way I like is like how EU and the older system's functioned. This would be a mod for the people who think the same as me. There is no right or wrong way of playing when it comes to that, just what you like (Take note of this Gideonseymour I'm not asking for a debate, I'm just wanting to help people like me; I'm not trying to shun anyone).

TE is too easy. It removes all thought process in a game that is about building. Rather than needing to build a piping system to process all of my ores, I can drop two blocks down by each other and it magically handles everything.

The argument of "if you want challenge go play GT" is absurd. There are plenty of people, including myself, who would like a challenge outside of just GT. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and this proposed mod seeks to do just that. That's one of the reasons I use RoC and RC extensively; they add difficulty to the game and aren't GT.

And as a note since acronyms are constantly being thrown around, I use RC to refer to RailCraft, and RoC to refer to RotaryCraft.
1. I agree that TE is too easy hence my reason for trying to complicate the power system and hopefully get rid of the overstoring of power (I feel that RF is just MJ with power storage and no overloading which makes it horrendously overpowered; power storage alone makes it bad).
2. I too like a challenge and that why I dislike TE as it is currently as well as RF.
3. GT... I like it better before alot of the changes to it. I like Red Power Era GT more.

Last edited:

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
The argument of "if you want challenge go play GT" is absurd.

I think we can safely change this statement to: "If you want a challange, play a mod that provides a challange". This statement is defenitly not absurd. Because if you want a challange you have 2 options: Either find a mod that provides that challange. Or make a mod that provides that challange. Considering that most people wont know how to make a mod, its quite safe to state "If you want a challange, play a mod that provides a challange" and be completly reasonable.

If annything, I think going for option C and complaining that other mods/API's are OP and should be changed to fit a certain playstyle is absurd. Thankfully thats not what this threat is about!

Lastly I'm not trying to balance TE more I'm more trying to balance RF as a whole, I feel it's lack of loss anywhere in it makes it an end all power system that is just straight overpowered. My example of this would be the flying rings from ExU making jetpacks and other ways of flying that have a cost pointless; Now I wouldn't say RF makes all other power systems pointless but it's darn near close.

I think your missing what you are going for here. Your problem with TE is that its a completely different playstyle then you want. You should make your own mods with gameplay rules that fit your playstyle. Wich is exactly what you are trying to do. However, I think the mistake you are making is that you want to change existing mods. That sounds very familiar to what gregtech does and as we all know, isnt that well recieved. Your problem is not with the RF API. RF is a low lag API that allows easy cross mod interactions. You can make another API ontop of it to fit your playstyle. Use that one in your mod, even if all the mod does is showcase what the API does. Why? So you can make it public and suggest its use for other mods.

PS Did you skip my concern for using cell/tank transfer for power or do you actually think that wont be a problem?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I think we can safely change this statement to: "If you want a challange, play a mod that provides a challange". This statement is defenitly not absurd. Because if you want a challange you have 2 options: Either find a mod that provides that challange. Or make a mod that provides that challange. Considering that most people wont know how to make a mod, its quite safe to state "If you want a challange, play a mod that provides a challange" and be completly reasonable.

If annything, I think going for option C and complaining that other mods/API's are OP and should be changed to fit a certain playstyle is absurd. Thankfully thats not what this threat is about!

I think your missing what you are going for here. Your problem with TE is that its a completely different playstyle then you want. You should make your own mods with gameplay rules that fit your playstyle. Wich is exactly what you are trying to do. However, I think the mistake you are making is that you want to change existing mods. That sounds very familiar to what gregtech does and as we all know, isnt that well recieved. Your problem is not with the RF API. RF is a low lag API that allows easy cross mod interactions. You can make another API ontop of it to fit your playstyle. Use that one in your mod, even if all the mod does is showcase what the API does. Why? So you can make it public and suggest its use for other mods.

PS Did you skip my concern for using cell/tank transfer for power or do you actually think that wont be a problem?
  1. There are people who want the challenge of Gregtech, but do not want other things from GT
  2. That is absurd, but no one is arguing for mods to be changed; only for new mods to be made using the RF API that are more complex
  3. GT does NOTHING to other recipes except for IC2 and vanilla. All the other changes are made by the other mods