Will this PC enough for playing FTB modpacks with the least lag?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Luke Edmondson

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all very much for your comments so far,
About the desktop suggestions:
I know desktops have better performance, however due to the fact that I am in high school and will need to be able to move my computer to take it to class a desktop would not be a good choice for me at this time.

I am considering this now, (I know I change my mind a lot)
Dell Inspiron 5558
Intel i7 5500 @ 2.4 gHz
nVida 920 w/ 4gb gddr3
8 gb ram ddr3l

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all very much for your comments so far,
About the desktop suggestions:
I know desktops have better performance, however due to the fact that I am in high school and will need to be able to move my computer to take it to class a desktop would not be a good choice for me at this time.
Now, excuse me because I've been out of school for a few years, but did they stop teaching kids to use pencils and paper? what kind of school do you go to where you need your own computer in a classroom?

Reactions: Padfoote

engel

Jul 29, 2019
Many schools now encourage laptop use. It allows schools to replace books with computer environments and allows students to use enhanced note taking software and more and more schools are moving to adaptive tests that require a computer.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Many schools now encourage laptop use. It allows schools to replace books with computer environments and allows students to use enhanced note taking software and more and more schools are moving to adaptive tests that require a computer.
encourage != require. if a public school requires a computer, they should provide them. Otherwise, not only are we paying taxes that fund the school, but we're also buying a laptop that they "require".

As far as the OP and his question about his PC used for minecraft...Your C2D dual core is pushing it. My main minecraft PC is a Q9400, a quad core from the same generation, with 8gb ram. Running at 8 chunks render, fastcraft + optifine installed, it's barely playable in an established world on a modern modpack.

Luke Edmondson

Jul 29, 2019
Now, excuse me because I've been out of school for a few years, but did they stop teaching kids to use pencils and paper? what kind of school do you go to where you need your own computer in a classroom?
While it is not required at the school I am at, I am involved in the computer science program and code a good bit inside and outside of school. In some of the classes I take, I would also benefit from the enhanced note taking ability that using a laptop would allow me. I also plan on working on dual enrollment my junior and senior year. Since I will be taking classes at a college, I will need my own computer. When in college, most people tend to use laptops to do their school work.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
While it is not required at the school I am at, I am involved in the computer science program and code a good bit inside and outside of school. In some of the classes I take, I would also benefit from the enhanced note taking ability that using a laptop would allow me.
Sorry, but when I was taking computer science classes, I was only allowed a pencil and a notebook...no not the computer. I tried bringing a laptop, but they told me to put it away. Do you need it? This is a serious question. I've been out of high school for 15 years. is it "needed"?

is your laptop required? Yes, you could benefit, but are you required a laptop? Definitely not. Even in this modern age, and myself still being in the computer science field, I highly doubt it. Considering the quality of the interns we've had in the past 5 years, nah... You don't "need" a laptop.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
While it is not required at the school I am at, I am involved in the computer science program and code a good bit inside and outside of school. In some of the classes I take, I would also benefit from the enhanced note taking ability that using a laptop would allow me. I also plan on working on dual enrollment my junior and senior year. Since I will be taking classes at a college, I will need my own computer. When in college, most people tend to use laptops to do their school work.
If you already have a laptop that's good enough for school, then keep that and use it for school and get a desktop for games. If you have no computer at all, then you'll have to look at your budget and decide if you want to spend a lot on a laptop that can handle Infinity or if you are fine with something that can only run Lite or perhaps not even run games at all and forgo playing until the money is available (although the other problem is you can't really upgrade a laptop once you buy it, so if you buy an inexpensive laptop for school only you'd probably then get a separate desktop for games afterwards).

Reactions: ShadowHawk707

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Sorry, but when I was taking computer science classes, I was only allowed a pencil and a notebook...no not the computer. I tried bringing a laptop, but they told me to put it away. Do you need it? This is a serious question. I've been out of high school for 15 years. is it "needed"?

is your laptop required? Yes, you could benefit, but are you required a laptop? Definitely not. Even in this modern age, and myself still being in the computer science field, I highly doubt it. Considering the quality of the interns we've had in the past 5 years, nah... You don't "need" a laptop.

When I took my first Electronics course in H.S. (72-73 year) we weren't allowed to use calculators, which weren't that accurate yet anyway... We spent a month learning how to use Slide Rules... Get off my lawn and look it up, you kids! :D

Luke Edmondson

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't mind, will you please get back to my question.

Will this computer be enough to play Infinity with good fps?

Dell Inspiron 5558
Intel i7 5500 @ 2.4 gHz
nVida 920 w/ 4gb gddr3
8 gb ram ddr3l

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

Dell Inspiron 5558
Intel i7 5500 @ 2.4 gHz
nVida 920 w/ 4gb gddr3
8 gb ram ddr3l

is this a serious question? that would play fallout 4 with decent settings.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Dell Inspiron 5558
Intel i7 5500 @ 2.4 gHz
nVida 920 w/ 4gb gddr3
8 gb ram ddr3l

Several people have already replied that the problem with that spec is the CPU clock speed. Minecraft doesn't (yet) use more than one core so speed is of the essence, so to speak.

Also, with only a few exceptions I know of, mobile chipsets for laptops are nowhere near as fast as their desktop counterparts. This is due to 2 primary concerns, and a lesser one... Heat, Battery life and weight. The faster chips run, the more current they need. The more current supplied, the bigger the battery has to be to provide it and to have any charge life, and the more heat is generated by the chips. The more heat that needs to be dissipated the larger the heat sinks have to be. This leads to more weight.

There are some ridiculous systems coming out, including the world's first Water Cooled laptop:
https://rog.asus.com/446382015/g-se...s-rog-gx700-gaming-laptop-with-water-cooling/

This actually has the desktop version of the nVidia 980 GPU, NOT the 980m, and with the water system connected both CPU and GPU are fully overclockable.

I'm guessing it'll push $5000 when it comes out though, although I'd order it with maximum options for everything I couldn't replace myself and figure out the most economic ram configuration to order, I.E. just add more, not remove and replace everything... I hate to waste anything :D

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Dell Inspiron 5558
Intel i7 5500 @ 2.4 gHz
nVida 920 w/ 4gb gddr3
8 gb ram ddr3l

As mentioned before, that CPU clock speed is low for MC. Start at about 3.0GHz and go from there or you'll have issues.

ShadowHawk707

Nov 20, 2014
Nothing can play Infinite with good FPS
Titan_render.png

Except this :p
It could probably manage a good 60 FPS (if you somehow got minecraft to run on it).