Why farm Mana Beans?

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking about this for a long while, and i still don't get it. Why does everyone farm Thaumcraft's Mana beans? I'm watching Direwolf20's videos, and everyone that's doing Thaumcraft seems to have a Mana bean farm.

There really doesn't seem like any good application for them. Salis Mundus is needed for a few things, but otherwise what's they're use? They aren't good for supplying aspect, as you get random beans which makes the production rate for the few you'd need far lower than almost anything else that you could farm/produce.

So, am i missing something? Is there some super late game use i've yet to unlock that would require such large amounts of beans of varying aspects? Did I miss some kind of sneak peek on a future update that everyone's preparing for?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
If you feed them into an alchemical furnace it's great for aspects as you don't normally use high volumes of aspects very often, so you can let them build up in quantity and then feed them in to your aspect system as needed.

I personally have been using a wisp spawner for pretty much the same thing, except just trickle feeding my system with the aspects instead of letting them build up.

You can use growth accelerators on them as well mind you, so the rate may be much higher than you'd think in those farms

EDIT: There isn't really anything late game that uses exclusively beans, there's a few odd recipes with TTKami that use them, but that's only one per recipe..

Reactions: Padfoote

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
super late game thaumcraft tecnically doesnt exist unless when you have Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI installed which adds more craziness such as 1000 vis aspect wand not sure why you would want that but why not

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I like is how you can make that salt more easily with them, which leads to custom enchanting without needing the osmotic guy.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
super late game thaumcraft tecnically doesnt exist unless when you have Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI installed which adds more craziness such as 1000 vis aspect wand not sure why you would want that but why not
If you're an adventurer, that amount of vis allows you to use your foci as a full time weapon instead of constantly worrying about recharging it.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
As Algester stated, Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI adds some super crazy late game stuff requiring a LOT of Salis Mundus, making it worth to grow the stuff and get ready for all the crazy stuff to come in the future.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
As others have stated, it's all about the Salis Mundus. It's technically cheaper then the "alternate" recipe, since mana beans are super easy to farm where as shards are kind of hard to farm(as in, Bees only).

Reactions: Padfoote

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
As others have stated, it's all about the Salis Mundus. It's technically cheaper then the "alternate" recipe, since mana beans are super easy to farm where as shards are kind of hard to farm(as in, Bees only).
False, shards can come from wisps, and there's wisp spawners around, plus MFR auto-spawners work with them (Used that to get enough to set all my jars with correct labels..)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
False, shards can come from wisps, and there's wisp spawners around, plus MFR auto-spawners work with them (Used that to get enough to set all my jars with correct labels..)
Huh, I thought they only dropped that node junk stuff. Guess you learn a bit every day. Doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, though, does it?
And don't forget some of the beans if eaten give great temporary buffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And sometimes ones that kill you almost instantly. Have AM2 installed? Be careful with those Beans. Have IC2 installed? Be careful with those beans. Have any mod with a new form of damage applied as a potion effect? Be careful with those beans!

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, I thought they only dropped that node junk stuff. Guess you learn a bit every day. Doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, though, does it?

And sometimes ones that kill you almost instantly. Have AM2 installed? Be careful with those Beans. Have IC2 installed? Be careful with those beans. Have any mod with a new form of damage applied as a potion effect? Be careful with those beans!
Wait. Don't you mean the essence shards? Oo
What other shards are there that are comparable to the mana beans?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
With versions of Reactorcraft installed earlier than v16, I'd strongly advise against eating any of the beans whatsoever. If a bean applies the Reactorcraft radiation sickness effect to you, it'll immediately kick you from the server and also immediately kick you on each subsequent login attempt. I don't know of any way to fix it other than getting whoever controls the server to delete your [player].dat file, or possibly updating to v16 of Reactorcraft.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
With versions of Reactorcraft installed earlier than v16, I'd strongly advise against eating any of the beans whatsoever. If a bean applies the Reactorcraft radiation sickness effect to you, it'll immediately kick you from the server and also immediately kick you on each subsequent login attempt. I don't know of any way to fix it other than getting whoever controls the server to delete your [player].dat file, or possibly updating to v16 of Reactorcraft.
Or fixing the potion ID conflict, as I rather doubt Azanor intends to make mana beans radioactive.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Or fixing the potion ID conflict, as I rather doubt Azanor intends to make mana beans radioactive.
I did try changing the potion ID in the Reactorcraft config to a few other arbitrary numbers to see if it could be resolved that way, without any success. It seems that mana beans have a chance of applying anything registered as a potion effect, including but not limited to RC (wait, how do I shorten this to avoid confusion with RailCraft, or even Rotarycraft? Perhaps ReC, like TiC for Tinkers' construct and TC for Thaumcraft?) radiation sickness, IC2 radiation poisoning, blindness, slowness, wither, regeneration, nausea, status effects normally only applied through unstable TC infusion crafting and so on. There's also a chance of instant death, or instant death with a massive taint slime spawning on your corpse. Fun!

But I digress, the point is that it doesn't seem to be user-fixable short of getting either Azanor to change TC only to apply a set list of effects - which doesn't seem particularly likely short of the release of TC 4.1 - , or you to change ReC so that it isn't a problem when radiation sickness does get applied, which it appears you've already done, so it's really best just to avoid eating them altogether while running older ReC versions.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I did try changing the potion ID in the Reactorcraft config to a few other arbitrary numbers to see if it could be resolved that way, without any success. It seems that mana beans have a chance of applying anything registered as a potion effect, including but not limited to RC (wait, how do I shorten this to avoid confusion with RailCraft, or even Rotarycraft? Perhaps ReC, like TiC for Tinkers' construct and TC for Thaumcraft?) radiation sickness, IC2 radiation poisoning, blindness, slowness, wither, regeneration, nausea, status effects normally only applied through unstable TC infusion crafting and so on. There's also a chance of instant death, or instant death with a massive taint slime spawning on your corpse. Fun!

But I digress, the point is that it doesn't seem to be user-fixable short of getting either Azanor to change TC only to apply a set list of effects - which doesn't seem particularly likely short of the release of TC 4.1 - , or you to change ReC so that it isn't a problem when radiation sickness does get applied, which it appears you've already done, so it's really best just to avoid eating them altogether while running older ReC versions.
That seems rather unbalanced, considering radiation sickness is a 30-minute, incurable potion effect that gives you slowness IV, jump boost -2, periodic nausea, and causes vertigo effects, and always ends in death.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
That seems rather unbalanced, considering radiation sickness is a 30-minute, incurable potion effect that gives you slowness IV, jump boost -2, periodic nausea, and causes vertigo effects, and always ends in death.
Hmm, the potion effect mana beans apply always lasts for 10 seconds, including ReC radiation sickness - or, at least, it tries to last for 10 seconds, before bad things happen. Could that cause a problem?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Always?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
As a reminder, TC4 Mana Beans can apply any non-instant potion effect. So with ReactorCraft you may be a bit fucked if you eat those.
Even if I drink some milk? If even then, why not add Prussian Blue for cesium, DTPA if you have plutonium, americium and/or curium, and sodium bicarbonate and a diuretic of some kind if you have uranium? Radiation sickness isn't always fatal, and treatment, while occasionally filled with things like the afformentioned Baking Soda and a lot of trips to the pisser, is a working field of medicine.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hmm, the potion effect mana beans apply always lasts for 10 seconds, including ReC radiation sickness - or, at least, it tries to last for 10 seconds, before bad things happen. Could that cause a problem?
No, that is just a new PotionEffect.

As best as I can ensure.

Even if I drink some milk?
Yes.

If even then, why not add Prussian Blue for cesium, DTPA if you have plutonium, americium and/or curium, and sodium bicarbonate and a diuretic of some kind if you have uranium? Radiation sickness isn't always fatal, and treatment, while occasionally filled with things like the afformentioned Baking Soda and a lot of trips to the pisser, is a working field of medicine.
Not with MC-level medicine.