why do so many people dislike monsterpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
Well the Titel says it all. I was reading through the forums and I found many people not liking it. But why? Their are a few mods that are a bit op I think and I took but other then that I think it gives you a wide variety of stuff to choose from in what to make

Jet

Elvanos

Jul 29, 2019
Because the modack has TOO many mods in it, often doing one thing in 10 different ways - for no good reason. Some of those mods are WAY harder than the others, so the rest looks very silly in comparison. Plus there is no general theme, no feeling of progression with the exception of mods like TC or IC2, that actually make you build stuff from the ground... but hey, why would you do that when there are MUCH easier and less resource intense ways?

One thing is having while playing the modpack, other is watching your neighbour having 10x more stuff with 1/5 effort.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Most likely many people play modded MC like a progression game. Build tech/magic to get to the next tech/magic to get to the end(not the dimension). And that is great, there are many modpacks out there for this kind of gameplay.

Monster is not aimed for that, it is more a sandbox that allows you to mix and match things from different mods for those who doesn't worry about being the "best" and doing the most efficient and OP solution. Therefore it is bigger which makes it impossible to balance everything perfectly. But since it is a sandbox it doesn't really matter all that much does it?

I play modded MC to build stuff(which surprisingly few do it seems). I am not content with racing through a tech tree only to be bored in a week or two. And for that Monster is perfect. It adds tons of building materials, tons of variations of machinery that I can try out for cool effects, cool world gen and biomes. I don't give a damn about progression, difficulty and balance. I can spend months building something in my own pace without ever running out of toys to do so with.

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
I guess that's probably it. I would love to have it sort of balanced to start out. That's why I got rid of some mods, i see its nearly imposible to balance so many mods.
lastly you could just wait till a normal quarry have enough ressource so you can continue. I guess i like monsterpack... since i love to test all the diffrent mods

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly can overlook the (frankly horrific) balance issues. What really peeves me is what role Monster takes. Basically, instead of another standard flagship pack we got Monster, which you can't even properly criticize as a pack anyway because it's the challenge map pack.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Because the DW20 pack has more balance and little to no bloat (outside of hats, morph, billund which can easily be removed). Just creating a world with the monster pack, and flying around in creative, makes me hate the pack. It's so bloated that even the world gen even looks stupid.

The pack does not seem to be designed around real gameplay, it's a pack for people wanting to mess around with all the most popular mods and see what options there are. It's a great pack for creative mode testing of mods. More mods is not always a good thing when actually wanting to put a few hundred hours into a world.

The bottom line is: DW20 is the closest pack to 1.4's Ultimate. Which is considered by many as the best FTB pack of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: zorn and Padfoote

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
I don't dislike it. On the opposite spectrum of these guys, I wish it had more in it to keep me busy. If people really want "less stuff" they can disable what they don't want.

That being said, I believe the "compilation" modpacks are just a collection of mods that work together and have some balance, but its up to the player to customize them to their experience. We're not all babies that need to be spoonfed "the perfect pack" with absolute balance. If you feel something is too overpowered, FTB Launcher makes it easy enough to turn it off.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't dislike it. On the opposite spectrum of these guys, I wish it had more in it to keep me busy. If people really want "less stuff" they can disable what they don't want.

That being said, I believe the "compilation" modpacks are just a collection of mods that work together and have some balance, but its up to the player to customize them to their experience. We're not all babies that need to be spoonfed "the perfect pack" with absolute balance. If you feel something is too overpowered, FTB Launcher makes it easy enough to turn it off.
That's debatable. Having less mods make you think more and gives you less options to possible exploits or previous exploits. Monster with its many mods has a possible large amount of exploits and many different ways to do what you want, some easier than others.
Although, of course, I agree with your second statement. :)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I enjoy Monster quite a bit for most of the reasons people here list as problems. I quite enjoy that there are MANY varied ways of doing the same thing so I can do them differently as I please. I also like the fact that there are exploits because I quite often tend to do nothing but build and build BIG at that so I don't always want to put forth the super hard work to get everything needed to do that but can take a shortcut to it while still putting in my preferred amount of effort. I also LOVE the fact that it doesn't force you to follow a progression precisely because I like to build. As well since you're not forced to follow a tech tree you can mix and match tech trees for a far more impressive sight IMO.

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I stick with the monster pack for now, love building stuff in lots different ways. Turned a few mods of to make it a "bit" more balanced though for now

Asked mystcraft if their is a way you can make an age with only 1 or 2 mods allowed or even none. So you can see how much you can do with 1 mod or so, since that's nice to know too. But they had good reason why they can't do that. Maybe i will ask sync if they could make a mod so you can transfer your mind into different world with less mods or none.
could make a new word but love talking people on the server and all in one place

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Its already alluded to above, but sometimes having too many options is self-defeating. If there are "fast and efficient" ways to accomplish a thing, its less likely I'll get to explore certain mods to their fullest which accomplish something similar but through more time and effort.

I've never touched more than a faction of Railcraft, for instance, because its so much easier to do transportation, mining, etc via other means. But if I didn't have tesseracts or quarries as a fallback, I think I'd appreciate railcraft much much more. I lose out because in the middle of a gaming session I find it hard to talk myself into doing something inefficient and complicated "just cuz." (Especially when its hard to show off your work with people saying its dumb to do X when you could get so much more out of Y...)

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I stick with the monster pack for now, love building stuff in lots different ways. Turned a few mods of to make it a "bit" more balanced though for now

Asked mystcraft if their is a way you can make an age with only 1 or 2 mods allowed or even none. So you can see how much you can do with 1 mod or so, since that's nice to know too. But they had good reason why they can't do that. Maybe i will ask sync if they could make a mod so you can transfer your mind into different world with less mods or none.
could make a new word but love talking people on the server and all in one place
Pretty sure you can transfer what you have by using the tabs to the left when you're in NEI cheat mode.

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why would you dislike having many different ways of achieving what you want. Even if I don't use all the ways I like the idea that I could do it with that or this or the other. I mean you can do the stuff from other packs in Monster but not vice-versa, you can follow a tech-tree or not, it's just up to your choice, that's why I really like it. :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
ZethHQ: I think choice is awesome when the choices are at a par in terms of cost/benefit. But there's no reason to make a macerator if a pulverizer is 10% better, ya know what I mean?

The only time I've ever built a macerator is in modpacks where there is a macerator-specific recipe that demands it. But if my "choice" is limited to two machines with the same cost, I'll go with the one with the better benefit. If limited to two machines with the same benefit, I'll go with the one with the better cost.

Bioreactor vs still/fermenter is, imo, a good modpack dilemma. I prefer the bioreactor because it requires less infrastructure and maintenance, but ultimately they both output biofuel in different ways and everyone has their own preference :)

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure I know what you mean and I agree with you but I go like.. make the most efficient way first to get resources faster then make all the other builds or cross them and try to make them self-sustain and fully automated in different ways. I never achieved all the builds I planned in any modpack yet. xD
All the possibilities from crossing a lot of mods are just awesome imo. :D

Reactions: Pyure

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
ZethHQ: I think choice is awesome when the choices are at a par in terms of cost/benefit. But there's no reason to make a macerator if a pulverizer is 10% better, ya know what I mean?

The only time I've ever built a macerator is in modpacks where there is a macerator-specific recipe that demands it. But if my "choice" is limited to two machines with the same cost, I'll go with the one with the better benefit. If limited to two machines with the same benefit, I'll go with the one with the better cost.

Bioreactor vs still/fermenter is, imo, a good modpack dilemma. I prefer the bioreactor because it requires less infrastructure and maintenance, but ultimately they both output biofuel in different ways and everyone has their own preference :)

@Pyure I know what you mean and I agree with you but I go like.. make the most efficient way first to get resources faster then make all the other builds or cross them and try to make them self-sustain and fully automated in different ways. I never achieved all the builds I planned in any modpack yet. xD
All the possibilities from crossing a lot of mods are just awesome imo. :D

Must agree with Zeth. On paper the pulverizer is better(gives bonus sometimes). But I always set up both lines anyway. Overclocked macerators for the bulk ores etc. and then pulverisers for all the specialized jobs.

Just one example, but this is what I love about the Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster line. I have all the different mods at my disposal. I can combine them in ways they were not intended to in order to make fun new things. Multiple lines of different approaches to the same thing at the same time. For example a boiler with charcoal, engines with biofuel, engines with lava and so on and then using cross mod items to automate the "intelligent" control of it all. Stuff like that is hard(if not impossible) in smaller more balanced packs.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@rhn: I forgot overclocking, that's an excellent counter argument. So toss my example, its crap :)

I stand by my theory that there's going to be large chunks of mods that folks will never explore unless they're forced to it. Granted some of that is their fault for not being a bit more adventurous, but the ideal modpacks for me make an effort to encourage their use. Monster has too many "only an idiot does it that way" solutions to problems for me to get really engaged :p

ryhamz

Jul 29, 2019
Because the modack has TOO many mods in it, often doing one thing in 10 different ways - for no good reason. Some of those mods are WAY harder than the others, so the rest looks very silly in comparison. Plus there is no general theme, no feeling of progression with the exception of mods like TC or IC2, that actually make you build stuff from the ground... but hey, why would you do that when there are MUCH easier and less resource intense ways?

None of these are goals that Monster seeks to accomplish lol. Having 10 different ways to do things is fun in a sandbox. Of course, the vocal crowd here will not enjoy that, but I would like to see packs that cater to both crowds.

I would even say that there is a theme in this pack: tons of mods, with lots of choice, leading to a sandbox feel.

One thing is having while playing the modpack, other is watching your neighbour having 10x more stuff with 1/5 effort.

Trying to have more stuff than your neighbor through min/max efficiency is only one way to play FTB. Personally, I'm mostly playing in single player for my own fun, so I don't need to compare myself to anyone, and I find fun in doing identical tasks in several ways. Monster lets me do this. This isn't inferior gameplay; it's just different. o

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
As with what some others have said, I dislike the Monster pack because it's bloated, and because it doesn't feel like there's anything gained for all the bloat. I dislike the fact that it's poorly supported via the wiki and googling blocks to find out which mod pack they're part of and what they do gets old. Every time a texture pack gets close to offering a complete set of textures, the FTB team adds 60 or so mods to the next pack and it's back to half pixel vomit, half mid-range resolution. Thaumcraft elemental ores cause heavy duty lag spikes whenever I uncover them while mining, as do several other as-yet-unidentified blocks. With textures the Monster pack can easily consume more RAM than an HD DX11 title and when I stop and think about what I'm getting for all this overhead, it's pretty anti-climactic. It's like moving from a shed to a warehouse so you can store an extra bottle of mustard.

Reactions: Jadedcat and Pyure