Why Do People Avoid Building on Non-Flat Land?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
For me it is less where I want to build and more what I want to build the decides how I go about dealing with land.

Sometimes I like to use the land as is other times I like to tereform it or flaten it. It really depends on what I'm going for. Sometimes the land does not even mater.

I think people like falt areas the same reason they like 9x9s. Its easier to work with.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Why build in a sloped ground location when you can take flat floor and do stuff like WayOfTime's curtain of light or Saice's spaceshoop?
It's not the ground that defines a place, but rather the build itself. After all, my missile silo built in flat ground looks much more badass than ravine facility - simply because the two are different, and while the ravine is cool and fuctional, it doesn't have the same feel as the missile sile.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
There is mod for that (Buildcraft). And, if you build underground, you don't have to care how it looks outside!

I know. But using a speed 23.07 hammer is faster and cheaper than using a filler. My rooms tend to be 13-19x13-19 (they differ depending on usage)

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
You could always build on the top of a massive Flying Island Mountain like me. ;)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...y-by-covertjaguar-creator-of-railcraft.24664/

I admit finding enough space for Forestry stuff has been a challenge, but its worth it!

hHWGkOOh.jpg

peglSyGh.jpg

5I7VIijh.jpg

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I love the look of abyssal stone but can never seem to find enough. My current base uses quarried, infernal and blood stained, and so far I've used over 40 stacks of quarried and infernal each, and probably 10-20 stacks of blood stained.. You retweeted some pics of mine a few weeks ago CJ

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
I love the look of abyssal stone but can never seem to find enough. My current base uses quarried, infernal and blood stained, and so far I've used over 40 stacks of quarried and infernal each, and probably 10-20 stacks of blood stained.. You retweeted some pics of mine a few weeks ago CJ
Well considering you can only find abyssal stone under the ocean, if you aren't mining there you won't find any

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It presents an additional design challenge. FTB is too simple, design-wise, for somebody like me when there are no space requirements. Trying to create a design that both satisfies your technical and space needs is much more involved that simply building a space around your factory.

In the real world space is limited, so much so that space costs a lot of money. It presents a design challenge, along with my minimal usage of teleportation devices (tesseracts), that keeps things interesting. I'm just stumped on my current project. So many solutions, but none of them really fit well together. I have almost decided, but there are a few minor details that require paving. It is those minor details that frequently pop-up, things like whether to put a one-or-two block space here, how high the room should be, which way should the pipes be face or the such, that keeps FTB interesting =).

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Well considering you can only find abyssal stone under the ocean, if you aren't mining there you won't find any

oh I've tried.. but it's a whole heck of a lot easier to go to the nether and accumulate 20 stacks of infernal stone in 20 minutes than it is to stumble around beneath an ocean for an hour looking for one geode.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
oh I've tried.. but it's a whole heck of a lot easier to go to the nether and accumulate 20 stacks of infernal stone in 20 minutes than it is to stumble around beneath an ocean for an hour looking for one geode.
Let a steve's cart loose around level 20-30 trucking through an ocean, you will find more than a few.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like building in valleys, since I can build into the mountains on either side, and have some flat space in the middle. Gives me the best of both worlds. I built my starter house on the ground, then built my power station up hanging off the side of the mountain. Then built my AE system through the two mountains.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
That's the nature of the sacred springs biome, he didn't add much besides the building and walkways.

Its actually a Flying Mountains Biome from Highlands, but yes the water is natural.

I like building in valleys, since I can build into the mountains on either side, and have some flat space in the middle. Gives me the best of both worlds. I built my starter house on the ground, then built my power station up hanging off the side of the mountain. Then built my AE system through the two mountains.

You'd probably like the Cliffs Biome in Highlands.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I haven't encountered one of those yet. My latest one is actually a valley in a vanilla jungle. I did build my magic tower at the top of a cliff. It's actually hanging off of it, and it's largely made from the AWESOME quarried stone. All that's left is to build some support pillars for it.