Why Do People Always Build Boxes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DrHexatron

Jul 29, 2019
I never build in boxes; They get too boring. I end up building some weird shaped house or a Dimensional Doors Hallway. Only sometimes I build large towers for bulk processing, which are in boxes.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I usually build a box or dig up a nice big cave for my starter home, until I feel like building a nice homelike base thing. Honestly, I think a lot of people build 9x9's because DW20 does.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I like to shove my whole base underground in 9x9x5 boxes linked with each other with 3lx1wx3h "holes". Sometimes I "pretty" up the place with stone bricks. :p
I just wanna build working bases first. And I procrastinate a lot.

Reactions: Dante12129

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
But my latest box house was underground! And the rooms were asymmetrical, their floors were on different levels, and I took the effort to decorate them with different colors of RC blocks! So I maybe it doesn't count!
...I actually was planning to make a new base (hopefully prettier and not box-like) somewhere and move there because I don't think I'll have enough patience to start a new map (or start a new map in 1.6), but my interest on MC has completely died in these past few weeks. Maybe I'll get to it when I feel like playing again.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

NdMSnIpEz

Jul 29, 2019
I used dw20's floor pattern - with a little twist. I swapped it up with some sequoia and ebony wood, along with alot of Fancy redstone brick.
Oh, the house was built in survival. Just switched to creative to be able to fly to take pics.
Exterior-
UFUHNWb.jpg

Interior-
YeqLw9O.png
iMDJC94.png

VjqWird.png
9Bpemhi.png
Basement - Design by Me (floor designed by Movelaira) hehe
Woops- forgot pic. Will post when I get back.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
I used dw20's floor pattern - with a little twist. I swapped it up with some sequoia and ebony wood, along with alot of Fancy redstone brick.
Oh, the house was built in survival. Just switched to creative to be able to fly to take pics.
Exterior-
UFUHNWb.jpg

Interior-
YeqLw9O.png
iMDJC94.png

VjqWird.png
9Bpemhi.png
Basement - Design by Me (floor designed by Movelaira) hehe
Creative mode eh!

-------------------------------------
Have a great day!

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, "Oh, the house was built in survival. Just switched to creative to be able to fly to take pics."
Second of all, use the signature feature.
The tapatalk app isn't working right for me

-------------------------------------
Have a great day!

Kazeodori

Jul 29, 2019
Do a google image search for "saltbox house". You will find lots and lots of pictures of the same exact house. intermixed with those will be a few houses that are actually saltboxes, but with the awning, carports, side additions, and what not, it doesn't actually look like a saltbox. Same with minecraft. Everyone makes boxes, but it is how you tweak the boxes that make the builds exceptional and aesthetically pleasing.

I'm tempted to make a saltbox house in minecraft, and then do some addons later. Now if only I can remember to do so.

Reactions: netmc

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Well, most people like to build outside the box. I build inside the box because it's bigger on the inside. Tee hee, crappy inside joke o_O

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
In a serious response that has actually already been addressed.

The mainstream are not creative, 1 out of 10 to me seems like too generous of a ratio, I'd wager it's close to 1 out of 100 people being truly creative.

Also I challenge the notion that this is primarily a creative game. Sure the creative get more out of Minecraft but there's still PLENTY to do in even regular Minecraft that isn't even remotely creative. When you add mods the game becomes less and less for creative people only.

Ergo people build boxes becasue they can't or don't want to make anything else. Why, becasue I believe the bulk of humanity has a penchant to go for easy and consistent and little boxes on the hillside are both easy and consistent. Are they getting less from the game as a person with even a modicum of creativity, yes. But they aren't missing out by much.

Reactions: PierceSG

NdMSnIpEz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I only build 9x9s in ftb. In a vanilla i dug out a 50diam circle and added big rooms onto it. Survival, too. I did have a few friends to help with the digging.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
In real life it's more practical to build boxes, so the majority of houses are similarly shaped (at least in this part of the world). Not everybody looks at the world in the same way. Some might see a bunch of boring houses that look like boxes, some might see safe, warm environments for families to live and grow. Same in minecraft, although the warmth and growing families might not apply.

Personally, I'm challenging myself in the current map to aim for a bit more interesting building, but I don't judge people who don't care for that style of play, as someone mentioned up there, sandbox game. Something I have found useful so far in life is the ability appreciate diversity amongst other human beings. Not everyone is the same as you. That's a good thing, no matter how awesome you might be.

Reactions: DeathGoth

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
Houses in real life are often made of at least two intersecting boxes, frequently topped with a non-box roof, and most buildings have stuff sticking out of them, or at least an occasional window.

For some simple variety, try putting one 9x9 on top of four connected 9x9s, or using a simple pattern of two wood colours for the floor. Or, if you are playing 1.6, toss down a carpet (better suited for a bedroom/magic room/storage room than a machine room).

Observe!