Which do you prefer? Unleashed or Unhinged

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Which is better for a server?

• Total voters

Aulrone

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding new FTB servers, which do you think is a better pack to play with?

As we know, there's a battle between good balance and good features here.

Unleashed has more features and mods some would consider a 'must' like computercraft.
Unhinged has better balance which is important for servers.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
"Better balance" ? Really? Forcing everyone to spend hours of their free time grinding is "balance" ?

There's this thing called personal opinion. Maybe you've heard of it.

Unhinged in SSP is horrible, but it's better on servers.

Unleashed is great for both SSP and SMP and has more mods, though it's very easy to blast through it once you get started in Dartcraft.

There isn't much else to say about the two.

Aulrone

Jul 29, 2019
"Better balance" ? Really? Forcing everyone to spend hours of their free time grinding is "balance" ?

Look at it this way: FTB is already unbalanced with EE+gold farms making vanilla ores more farm-able then dirt and MPS essentially allowing you to play in creative mode with a bit of iron/lead. Now, without the matter fab and progression GT adds, you'll find newbies who've only been playing a day with several ultimate solars.

On a controversial note here..

You'll notice vanilla MC has a sudden boost in interest and FTB has lost a lot. Why is this? Well having a sense of 'mortality' and not having a game whore itself to you so easily makes a game fun. I remember FTB being much more popular with the people back when it didn't have EE yet and using GT was becoming the standard.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say unleashed, i used to like gregtech a lot when gregtech only challenged when i decided i wanted to build something with gregtech/IC2.
I understand the whole balance argument for GT now but i just don't the time or the patience for it anymore considering i don't find the time to do very many interesting builds I want to do without GT i feel this i a valid argument for me not using it.

Though if i had time to do both i'd definitely give unhinged a fair go as we are like to say.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
One of those packs not only has GregTech, but also has barely any mods that disturb his Gloriousbalance.
So I guess the choice is obvious.

[edit] Although the inclusion of Dim. Doors in that feels a bit weird to me. Not that I'm complaining, as I love that mod.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Look at it this way: FTB is already unbalanced with EE+gold farms making vanilla ores more farm-able then dirt and MPS essentially allowing you to play in creative mode with a bit of iron/lead. Now, without the matter fab and progression GT adds, you'll find newbies who've only been playing a day with several ultimate solars.

On a controversial note here..

You'll notice vanilla MC has a sudden boost in interest and FTB has lost a lot. Why is this? Well having a sense of 'mortality' and not having a game whore itself to you so easily makes a game fun. I remember FTB being much more popular with the people back when it didn't have EE yet and using GT was becoming the standard.
mc has a sudden boost only because it just put out a new version. as soon as the horse novalty wears off, so will vanilla.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
If this is going to become another GregTech/balance battlefield I'll just close the thread and move on. That horse was sent to the glue factory ages ago. We have a thread if people want to argue the merits of GregTech itself.

The different packs provide different experiences. Some prefer one to the other for their own personal, subjective reasons. Wrangling about those is a tremendous waste of time and energy as changing somebody else's viewpoint over the internet is one of the most futile and Sisyphean exercises devised in human history. Keep the responses to your viewpoints, then, rather than jumping on others.

Thanks. Be nice. =)

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Unleashed. I preferred wgt for 1.5, but the latest nerfs towards Vanilla just turned me off of Gregtech altogether. Yes, "there's a config for everything!" but if I wanted to edit text configs instead of playing Minecraft, I'd be instaling Arch Linux rather than loading up Feed the Beast.

Reactions: Seraph089 and Riuga

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
So faced with ultimatum of configuring gregtech or filing taxes...

I choose filing taxes becuase it would be easier and less complicated.

Reactions: Jadedcat

untoast

Jul 29, 2019
Unleashed, so much more to play around with. Dartcraft isn't overpowered in my opinion until you grind a ton to get the level 7 enchanting book. Even then, the 'super tools' are only limited to the 8 slots you can use. So a pick could only have fortune 4 and efficiency 4, which is not very useful when it dies out in 500 uses. A diamond pick with efficiency 4, fortune 3, and unbreaking 3 is far superior. And if you are going to use the drill/chainsaw, you have to sacrifice your force armor with IC2 charging armor, which lowers your effectiveness on your force tools.

DrHexatron

Jul 29, 2019
Unleashed. Although Slowpoke took the precious Gregtech, I still use unleashed because it has more mods I like at the cost of only *one* mod. Dartcraft is fine, if you think it's OP don't use it. Plus, you get tconstruct.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The number one reason I quit playing vanilla minecraft was so I could completely automate resource gathering.

After 2 years of playing vanilla, most of it spent mining, I don't want to spend 1 sec longer than necessary to get automatic mining.

Everything else I'm fine with, but I will not spend any longer than the first minecraft day and night with a pick in my hand for the purpose of gathering ores.
I can very easily gather redstone and 3 diamonds in this time frame after which my first mining turtle gathers my ores for me with the programs tunnel or excavate.

Any mod that increases the time I must spend gathering resources manually is a mod I will never use.

So it is Unleashed for me.