Where is Forge Multipart going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khorozm

Jul 29, 2019
Forge Multipart made a lot of new possibilities in modded Minecraft. Not only microblocks, but possibly cross-mod cables running in one block or so. Although now it is a "official" Forge API, not a lot of mods seem to be adapting (or planning to adapt it).

Here are some of my thoughts to the multipart system:
  • The covers should interact with the cable/pipe like redpower did. Normal covers block connection while hollow cover allowing them.
  • All mods with cable/pipe should adapt to the API, with possibilities such as running EU cable and redstone wire running in the same block, each occupying different space in the block. With some cables/pipes taking up more space than the others.
The most important thing is I hope all mods will adapt to the system. What do you guys think about Forge Multipart? Will it be universal? What would you like to see from it?

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
ForgeMultipart isn't the issue, it's already universal...it's the mods that haven't updated to use it that's the problem. Though, that's completely up to the mod authors, and while it would be nice for all mods to work with Multipart...it's not a simple thing and pretty much requires rewriting a good portion of the code...

I could see new mods, or mods that have to be largely rewritten for version updates to start adding in compatibility...but, for the current version of ftb (1.4.7...1.5.2...it's rather unlikely).

Draakon

Jul 29, 2019
See, this is where I like immibis microblocks more at the moment (thankfully, you can use Multiparts and microblocks mods at the same time), it already has good mod support for IC2, BC, AE, LP, TE and such mods.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
To me, Forge Multipart is a massive waste of time right now. It requires the modders who want compatibility, not the ones programming the mod, to change their own mod to fit another one. That's not progress, that' take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Immibis has a set of microblocks that can auto-detect blocks compatible to be cut, and you can add blocks that can be covered in the configs. To be frank, Mulitpart is more work than required and is just wasting good time.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
See, this is where I like immibis microblocks more at the moment (thankfully, you can use Multiparts and microblocks mods at the same time), it already has good mod support for IC2, BC, AE, LP, TE and such mods.
Correction: TE has a crash bug with Microblocks that was never resolved, involving liquiducts and conduits.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Because there is no "both mods" in "API".

"API" means (super simplified) that Forge itself now ships with an inbuilt method called IAmAMicroblock(). Let's say I am developing a mod, and want to declare one of my blocks a microblock. I simply call IAmAMicroblock() when I create the block's instance in my code, and boom, I'm done. My block now behaves like a microblock not only towards itself, but to every other block that also calls IAmAMicroblock(), no matter what mod it is from. I don't have to invent my own code wizardry to have it behave that way. I don't have to coordinate with other mod authors, or go out of my way to attempt to support them on my own, only to be screwed over when they change something. I don't even have to know or understand how Minecraft does rendering. And neither does anybody else except the person maintaining the API. It just works.

What Immibis did was look at a couple popular mods and how they do rendering, and tool his own code so that the resulting microblock would not interfere with the other mod's block while still fitting into the same blockspace. And the result:

- involved a ton of work on his part (something he wouldn't have to do with an API)
- only supports a limited number of mods he chose, or was able, to support (an API is universal)
- showed severe bugs in some cases (which an API prevents by bringing everyone on the same standard)
- is reliant on the other mods not changing their rendering methods (an API does not care how different mods do stuff differently)
- requires the user to install an extra mod plus its dependency (this API ships with Forge itself)
- could be abandoned if he ever feels bored of modding (Forge has a whole team and can bring in fresh meat easily)

I don't see how this is a step backwards for modders?

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Depends on your definition of "good" I suppose. Because it was coded as its own mod, rather than as an API that would have then been supported by those various mods, Immibis Microblocks relies on kind of a hackish implementation of microblocks that could be broken every time another mod updates. It also had several issues (like the aforementioned compatibility bug with TE liquiducts as well as some visual bugs having to do with lighting). ForgeMultipart, as an API, DOES require more work on the modders' parts, true, but not much, and compatibility is pretty much guaranteed not to break when mod authors update their mods (unless they break compatibility on purpose).

Are you sure you can use Multipart and Immibis Microblocks at the same time? I got a crash the one time I tried to do so.

Draakon

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on your definition of "good" I suppose. Because it was coded as its own mod, rather than as an API that would have then been supported by those various mods, Immibis Microblocks relies on kind of a hackish implementation of microblocks that could be broken every time another mod updates. It also had several issues (like the aforementioned compatibility bug with TE liquiducts as well as some visual bugs having to do with lighting). ForgeMultipart, as an API, DOES require more work on the modders' parts, true, but not much, and compatibility is pretty much guaranteed not to break when mod authors update their mods (unless they break compatibility on purpose).

As a player, if one mod has better functionality then the other, then of course I am going to play with the one that actually helps me cover my cables. If and IF Multipart and the popular mods I play with at the moment have mutual support between each other, sure, I will move. But until then, I am sticking with Immibis mod. Besides, I have yet to have a crash.

Are you sure you can use Multipart and Immibis Microblocks at the same time? I got a crash the one time I tried to do so.

You sure you were not having ID conflicts? because I have both of them running plus ChickenBones Wireless Redstone running and not having any problems. This is in 1.5.2 by the way.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Can Immibis microblock covers be used to prevent TE conduits from connecting, and will conduits pass through the hollow covers?
No, TE perma-crashes when an Immibis Microblock is placed on a conduit. You need to uninstall either microblocks or thermal expansion to completely remove one or the other entity in order to safely log back in.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Ordeth

Jul 29, 2019
No, TE perma-crashes when an Immibis Microblock is placed on a conduit. You need to uninstall either microblocks or thermal expansion to completely remove one or the other entity in order to safely log back in.
Feel free to explain this, then:
zDegGby.png

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Can Immibis microblock covers be used to prevent TE conduits from connecting, and will conduits pass through the hollow covers?

Actually they can. And if you're cutting off conduits for mulitiple sets of power, then you don't need conduits.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Feel free to explain this, then:
A clever 'chop.

King Lemming himself said the problem was unsolvable. In fact, it's the same problem that is why liquiducts and conduits won't be coming out when the rest of TE3 comes out, because the whole code needs to be re-written in order to work with Forge Multipart.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
You sure you were not having ID conflicts? because I have both of them running plus ChickenBones Wireless Redstone running and not having any problems. This is in 1.5.2 by the way.
Hmm...interesting. I just tried it myself and it worked. It must be some other mod that's incompatible with it, since it doesn't work if you try to add it to Unleashed and the exception it throws seems to have something to do with Forestry...

By the way, Immibis covers DO seem to work on TE conduits. The covers don't block connections though, so conduits will still connect through a solid cover.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I have never had this issue, ever. This may be an experience you had, but please don't tout it like it's a fact for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.