Whats your favorite terrain generator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly can say the only terrain generators I have tried out are Biomes O' Plenty and the vanilla generation for the most part. I quite like biomes o plenty as it just adds quite a bit of variety and so many new biomes, what is your favorite? What other ones are there? Whats your favorite biome to build in?

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
The disadvantge of BoP is that it can be hard to find specific vanilla or other biomes, e.g. if you're looking for tropical hives, cacti or a magical forest.

I often build my bases in a forest biome, kinda near to the water.

I'm not the only one! YES! I looked for about literally 2 hours looking for cactus before I said screw it and just made a unifier to get cactus green from green dye.

But what is your favorite terrain generator?

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just use vanilla, but I recently created a world with ATG (basically BoP with lots of hills and I think if sort of keeps deserts and rain forests from generating right next to each other and such.) I've really liked it, although come time for me to get cacti or slime balls, I might not be.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I've been hearing about two terrain generators in particular lately, Highlands and ATG. I've heard ATG causes issues with mariculture and Highlands is something I have never tried, I am wondering about ATG Though... It sounds interesting but I am worried about it causing lag issues with mariculture installed

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I've been hearing about two terrain generators in particular lately, Highlands and ATG. I've heard ATG causes issues with mariculture and Highlands is something I have never tried, I am wondering about ATG Though... It sounds interesting but I am worried about it causing lag issues with mariculture installed
I'm playing on monster, which has mariculture and highlands. I've experienced a lag spike every now and then, but not berry often and the overall frame rates have been good. I should probably say, however, I do have a PC built for gaming so there is a chance it could get bad on other computers. I'm also not to the point in the game yet where I have any chunk loaders or lag causing machines.

Reactions: Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on monster, which has mariculture and highlands. I've experienced a lag spike every now and then, but not berry often and the overall frame rates have been good. I should probably say, however, I do have a PC built for gaming so there is a chance it could get bad on other computers. I'm also not to the point in the game yet where I have any chunk loaders or lag causing machines.
I think my computer is a gaming pc, its from 2012 but its still holding out well, two gtx 580 classifieds (SLI) and a intel i7 3960x

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The ATG+Mariculture lag bug has been fixed. However both those mods adds tons of stuff to the environment that does require more resources to render. But that is not a bug.

I must say that I really love the ATG terrain gen. It creates some really amazing landscape gems and seems really realistic in how it distribute the biomes etc. Sure it can be a bit of a pain to find a particular biome, but not impossible.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to get biomes o plenty to generate with ATG, but not use the biomes o plenty generator? The BoP generator is absolute crap as it generates so much water and the biome type is still "Plains" and it just generates oceans like that and I've tried configuring it, no luck. Is it possible to have biomes o plenty biomes generate with ATG?

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to get biomes o plenty to generate with ATG, but not use the biomes o plenty generator? The BoP generator is absolute crap as it generates so much water and the biome type is still "Plains" and it just generates oceans like that and I've tried configuring it, no luck. Is it possible to have biomes o plenty biomes generate with ATG?
It should by default if you select create an ATG world and BoP is installed.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You can ONLY have one terrain/world generator active at the time. But it is possible for one mods terrain generator to use Biomes from other mods. In the FTB packs they are set up to do so by default.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
A terrain thread without screenshots?

Cubic Chunks
2014-06-22_201457_zps184c934e.png

2014-06-21_205522_zpsd4f1ca58.png

Beta Gen
2011-05-31_185944.png

2011-05-31_185934-1.png

I normally set up on the coast- or anywhere with something interesting to work with/pretty to look out.
Snowy biomes are out as torches, grass, flowers ect make a mess.

My ideal would be Beta shaped with a few extra EBXL biomes to spice it up.

And something like this too...
Before
2014-03-25_205424_zps70293b1f.png

After
2014-03-25_205344_zpse7fcb10e.png

Last edited:

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
I found my favorite... The four way intersection of BoP extreme Hills, jaded cliffs, sacred Springs, and magical forest.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A terrain thread without screenshots?

Cubic Chunks
2014-06-22_201457_zps184c934e.png

2014-06-21_205522_zpsd4f1ca58.png

Beta Gen
2011-05-31_185944.png

2011-05-31_185934-1.png

I normally set up on the coast- or anywhere with something interesting to work with/pretty to look out.
Snowy biomes are out as torches, grass, flowers ect make a mess.

My ideal would be Beta shaped with a few extra EBXL biomes to spice it up.

And something like this too...
Before
2014-03-25_205424_zps70293b1f.png

After
2014-03-25_205344_zpse7fcb10e.png
Is cubic chunks comparable with forge mods/works well with forge mods? If so, I need to bug Qazplm about something.