Whats your favorite terrain generator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla. I like trying out the other Biome generators. They can generate some great landscape. Vanilla biome generation seems to be the most compatible with mods though.

My favorite Biome is extremely flat and bright green. Plains I think.

Though I really do like the mods that don't have terrain at all a lot too. All that space to build and nothing to get in the way.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I took a look at highlands and it seemed a bit... incomplete. It just lacked variety for me, in both biomes and terrain. In my honest opinion if I was able to just click a button to backport features from the later minecraft versions into this one I would try out amplified as that amazed me when I first tried it. I have heard about ExtrabiomesXL but I have never tried it and may give that a look over to see how I like it.

What is the difference between Highlands and Highlands LB? Large biomes?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I just use vanilla on my SSP games, but I've played on servers with B'o'P before. It doesn't seem to add much that's functionally different and it just makes it harder to find the specific biomes I used to need for bee breeding (before Gendustry).

Oh and I was too lazy to work out if B'o'P biomes that are virtually indistinguishable from the vanilla varieties still have the spawning behaviour for other stuff like pitchblende, but i'd guess they don't.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Or just get off your high horse and try a non-forge mod for once.

no.

I remember installing mods pre Forge. Well. Actually I remember installing Forge pre forge installer.

So no. Just no.

--
I use the Vanilla terrain gen (for my overworld) due to the sheer number of mods that have biome linked content that can silently go missing. And, each additional biome adds that many more additional textures, which excludes players with older video cards (I run a server).

Ive used, and liked, both BoP, EBXL and Highlands, and of the three I dislike BoP the most due to the sheer number of useless and not particularly attractive biomes it adds really makes the gems hard to find. EBXL and Highlands are just concentrated goodness.

But, if resources were no object, and content could be guaranteed, I would go with ATG + BoP, as ATGs rational biome layout tames the beast, and mostly produces better results with more biomes.

--
What I would like actually would be a mod that would create additional dimensions based on any available terrain generator (including vanilla). Similar to Mystcraft, but without the pain of trying to hand craft a terrain gen:

So you could run a server with an overworld and dimensions that are a mix of ATG generation, Highlands and BoP, superflat presets and vanilla large, normal and amplified.

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
no.

I remember installing mods pre Forge. Well. Actually I remember installing Forge pre forge installer.

So no. Just no.

--
I use the Vanilla terrain gen (for my overworld) due to the sheer number of mods that have biome linked content that can silently go missing. And, each additional biome adds that many more additional textures, which excludes players with older video cards (I run a server).

Ive used, and liked, both BoP, EBXL and Highlands, and of the three I dislike BoP the most due to the sheer number of useless and not particularly attractive biomes it adds really makes the gems hard to find. EBXL and Highlands are just concentrated goodness.

But, if resources were no object, and content could be guaranteed, I would go with ATG + BoP, as ATGs rational biome layout tames the beast, and mostly produces better results with more biomes.

--
What I would like actually would be a mod that would create additional dimensions based on any available terrain generator (including vanilla). Similar to Mystcraft, but without the pain of trying to hand craft a terrain gen:

So you could run a server with an overworld and dimensions that are a mix of ATG generation, Highlands and BoP, superflat presets and vanilla large, normal and amplified.

Question as I am intrigued, what do you mean by gems? The emeralds? project red ore? Or what? I am confused. From what I understand or atleast in my world in monster emerald seems like it is in every biome, and if not you can use peridot ore which then drops peridot (project red) and you can use that as emeralds or if you need to do it for villager trading you can use a unifier and convert them into a normal emerald.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry. I did not mean literal gems. Some of the BoP biomes are really good looking. They are the minority: Hidden gems as it were.

Regarding gems and ores being universally available in Monster: Monster "fixes" a lot of the biome content problems by using CoFH to force the generation of ores in biomes in which they normally would not occur using the mods own settings. This is why railcrafts salpeter blocks, that normally only spawn on the surface of deserts, form out-of-place chunks of salpeter-in-sandstone blocks as an "ore".

If you are not using monster and/or want magical forests, barrow dens, desert temples and mod ores spawn "normally" (i.e. as the mod author intended) then Vanilla terrain gen is required.

Personally, I prefer searching for emeralds, salpeter, sulfur, granite, limestone, abyssal stone, quarried stone and so on in the places their respective authors designed them to spawn. Monster just smears them all out and makes all biomes equivalent.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I mainly use vanilla because I usually play with mods that add world generation
problem with using modded terrain generation could cause these world generation structures from mods to not be generated, unless you specifically edit the configurations to do so
now if I'm playing a modpack that's usually already done for you, but if you play a custom pack, it'd mean you'd have to configure it all by yourself, and I'm too lazy to do that :p

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
Try New Dawn! It smoothes the terrain and makes it realistic. It doesen't add any new biomes but the hills look beautiful!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
no.
So no. Just no.

A lot of that is Mojang's new launcher designed to make modding "easier" and more "accessible".

(pre 1.5 was easy- drop the mod/forge.API into your minecraft, delete the meta.inf folder and go. Thats all there was to it back then)

Eleganten

Jul 29, 2019
Recently I have fallen back to default generation, mainly because, like others have said, finding the perfect spot in ATG is a pain in the behind, and I personally dislike BoP Gen.
Highlands adds "too much" for my taste
Sent from my RM-821_eu_denmark_251 using Tapatalk